Okay, latest free float wonder from Madbull who is well known of off-spec rails.

Official site: http://madbull.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=449

01.jpg

Finally a normal box! I had 3 Madbull rails (RISII, 2x MK18s) previously and all of them had boxes just large enough to fit the ris into it.

02.jpg

Also some development regarding safe packaging.

03.jpg

Here is what it looks like in daylight.

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

(That is the hand of my girlfriend, she took some of the pictures.) The inner nut can be seen that is made of steel. There is no visible solution to block the usage of a gas tube. I could not try to fit one yet.

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Rail panels and barrel nut.

11.jpg

28.jpg

Screws. All of them have got hex head so some hex headed screwdiver is necessary to install it. (Two screws to rail panels are missing from the picture)

Materials:

Steel: barrel nut, nut inside the tube, screws and mouting parts.

Aluminium: tube, rail panels.

One of these tools are enough to mount and tighten the barrel nut:

39.jpg

23.jpg

Barrel nut. Where scratches can be seen that is where the screws tighten the tube.

45.jpg

Mounted to a KSC M4 GBBR which is TM spec. No modification were necessary.

46.jpg

Pictures about the tube:

12.jpg

You can see a small screw.

13.jpg

27.jpg

20.jpg

19.jpg

Some imperfections on the coating.

29.jpg

30.jpg

34.jpg

33.jpg

32.jpg

31.jpg

18.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

35.jpg

A casting imperfection can be seen on the nut.

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

Tube mounted:

17.jpg

It just fits this nice without any problem.

16.jpg

15.jpg

But unfortunately it is a bit higher.

14.jpg

Rail panels:

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

44.jpg

Rail panels fit very nice.

Off-spec:

40.jpg

Rail panels measure from 20.85 to 20.93 mm.

41.jpg

The tube is worse.

My benchmark is a Surefire light.

42.jpg

It can be mounted to the smaller panels without problems.

43.jpg

But not on the tube unfortunately.

Impression, thoughts:

Two words: light and good.

I like its mounting method the most. Really good, the four small hex screws tighten it to the receiver without any gap.

I use an AFG but for this handguard even that is not necessary.

It is really just a quick review so ask if you want to know something about it!

Hm. I'm not sure if Madbull is deliberately doing this kinda ###### with the off-spec rails but it's really, REALLY annoying when having it in spec and flush with the receiver-top is what the handguard/RIS is designed for in the first place...

Whether it's Madbull deliberately doing it due to legal issues or they just SUCK at doing CAD files for something that already exists and can def. get their hands on it's just wrong on so many levels. I mean with the MFR rail...the top rail is probably the one that gets used most and they had to raise it by an mm or two off-spec (I'm assuming the KSC/TM spec is RS spec'd?)...WHY!? The top rail is the one that I think everyone will use the most (for PEQs, BUIS, whatever) and they mess that one up. They mess EVERYTHING up, and since they hold the DD license, they can do it without competition to challenge it's quality since no other manufacturers will make it.

Regardless, very very nice review and the pics were very well taken :) I hope you don't mind the off-spec-ness of the rail :( I'm going crazy just looking at the pics and I don't even have one :angry22:

I vote to the legal issues theory, if they can make such a nice product than I am pretty sure they could make it on-spec. All of my DD rails from Madbull were offspec but this one is much better than the RIS IIs. At least I can mount my light to this one.

Thanks and welcome. :) I would not mind it being off-spec if the gun I ordered this one for were not sold. And the other gun of mine has got a RIS I would never replace. It was more of an impulse buy btw.

But one day if I build a carbine or recce, I am going to use this handguard in 12 inch length.

• 3 weeks later...