• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KSC M4 VS KWA LM4

So far:

KWA LM4 Receiver, stock tube and bolt carrier are shorter than the KSC ones. Those parts are not compatible.

Hopup is the same, outer barrel is compatible (KSC outer barrels are much better in quality btw).

KWA LM4 steel BCG is 242 g.

Other internals seems to be compatible, I am going to make a test soon.

Sadly the gun I bought arrived seriously damaged, unless I can find a source to KWA LM4 parts who ships to Europe I will have to build the internals into a KSC receiver.

Edited by emp3ror86

KSC M4 CQB-R VS KWA LM4

Upper receiver

kwa01a.jpg

kwa02a.jpg

kwa03.jpg

KWA is shorter.

Charging handle

kwa04a.jpg

kwa05a.jpg

Absolutely the same.

Stock tube

kwa09.jpg

kwa13a.jpg

kwa14.jpg

Definitely the same. And...

kwa15.jpg

Compatible.

Buffer & recoil spring

The suprise:

kwa10a.jpg

kwa12a.jpg

They are different but they are compatible.

Bolt carrier

kwa06a.jpg

KWA is shorter.

Nozzle

kwa08a.jpg

Note: the KSC one is a damaged one and its end is removed. Nozzle body is the same length.

Inner barrels

kwa17a.jpg

The US version was changed a lot thanks to the ATF, supposedly it started off very similar in size and what not to the KSC, but it failed to get approved. I believe the current US model is the third model which finally received ATF approval. The KSC would be closer to RS as the LM4 is shorter than the RS receiver.

Also supposedly why it failed the first time is that te ATF was able to modify it to fire a real round.

Edited by akiraspeedstar
  • 2 weeks later...

My KWA LM4 is in working condition again, replacement parts are much cheaper than KSC ones. An almost complete upper (without forward assist and dust cover, chargind handle, BCG) for 45 USD is a really good. And it tempts me to build another upper.

I could install a KSC ambi fire selector into my LM4 without any modification. It was a drop in fit. Works perfectly. I also replaced the rocket valve with one of my custom ones to lower FPS.

In the meantime I tried Akiraspeedstar's bolt catch mod, and I have to say that is simply the best thing you can do to your gun. I can not recommend it enough! So I am going to make a post about it with pictures soon to those who do not like videos.

All my bolt catch issues ceased on my KSC after doing it, and now I can release the bolt with the charging handle, too. Honeslty, I have no idea how the stock solution ever came into the mind of the engineers when Akira's one is so much simpler and better.

Thanks Akira!

As all my KWA LM4 magazines were leaking badly and had some issues with KSC ones, too, I decided to get some spare O rings. I am going to post measures soon to let you know what you need to get for each part. Magazines and BCG.

O ring replacement can solve issues easily and it is cheap.

There is another issue I am going to address in the future: magazine wooble in the receiver. That is especially an issue with KSC old generation stanags.

Edited by emp3ror86
  • 4 weeks later...

I am going to make a pictorial guide about Akiraspeedstar's bolt catch mod soon. But in the meantime I would like to share an advice with fellow KSC and KWA users.

Houp adjuster.

hopup.jpg

It is small and black, something that is just screaming to get lost in a forest. I already lost one and decided to make sure it never happens again.

Some red electrical tape and neon yellow paracord is enough to make it visible.

I'm unsure as to whether the KWA uses R/S pistol grips, but if it does, I used to require a thin pokey tool to adjust the hop on my WOC through a hole in the rail - I used a cut down allen key, and carried that, along with a flathead screwdriver bit for adjusting my T-1 in a little bubble wrap baggy stuffed inside an MOE grip's storage compartment. Always handy and I never managed to lose them, although the yellow cord is also an excellent idea if you don't want to go with a grip that features a storage area.

KWA and KSC uses RS grips but I use a MIAD and store other things in its storage compartment. And I just got the CR123A part for it from HK which is clearly a Magpul USA item. :D

Usually I store the adjuster in an admin pouch and secure to it with a cord. There were a few times when after adjusting I would have lost it ifi t were not secured.

I am going to buy an ACS or ACS-L stock in the future which is perfect to store such items,

• 2 weeks later...

Updates are inbound but the bolt catch modification turned out to be a much more complex thing than I had thought. If you are about to do it, I suggest to wait a few days.

I also installed ASAP sling plates to both my LM4 and CQBR.

Pictures and updates are going to be up soon.

Akiraspeedstar's bolt catch modification

I made this post for those who do not like videos.

I am also going to explain what needs to be done and why.

This modification can be done to both KSC M4 and KWA LM4 GBBRs as they are internally compatible except for the bolt carrier.

Tools needed: filer, driller, dremel, steady hands, patience. Optional: backup impact block spring and bolt catch.

Remove the upper receiver and the magazine catch from the lower receiver. Make sure the hammer is cocked.

Start removing the impact block very carefully!

The small spring within the red square will shoot out and disappear for good unless one makes sure to catch it when pulling the impact block out.

bc02.jpg

A bit damaged spring is on the left is the one from the impact block.

The small pin on the right must be removed in order to take the bolt catch out.

The hole within the red square is where the spring is housed

bc03.jpg

The small spring pushes the pin within the yellow square into the bolt catch which got holes drilled onto it. If you take a look at the next picture below...

bc05.jpg

... then you can see that the bolt catch got the holes where the pin secures it into engaged or disengaged position. That is the reason why the bolt catch can only be disengaged by pressing the bolt release. Even if you pull the bolt back, the pin and the spring keeps the bolt catch engaged.

bc04.jpg

The modification

I suggest the first thing one does is the drilling part. A hole needs to be drilled into the bolt catch. I made 2 mm wide and 2-3 mm deep holes. Be careful when drilling!

bc08.jpg

Then a few coils need to be cut off from the impact block spring.

For first time 1-2 coil is enough. If more is necessary, then do it. If the spring is cut into half then it might become too weak to keep the bolt catch in its place.

bc03-1.jpg

The spring then has to be inserted into the hole on the bolt catch. If the hole is not too wide then the spring will secure itself so locktite is not needed. If you want to use locktite that is okay, but wait till you finish the mod and everything tested and works.

bc04-1.jpg

It is time to see if the spring is okay or not. Reinstall the impact block into the receiver and see how it works

Pay extra attention to the newly installed bolt catch spring during the assembly of the impact block. And even more when that is being placed back into the receiver. The spring can be damaged if it gets stuck.

bc05-1.jpg

Once the bolt catch is in its place, check if the spring is strong enough to keep it there even if the gun is upside down.

If it will not move, that is good.

bc06-1.jpg

Then insert all types of magazines used for the given gun with one BB loaded to see if it engages the bolt catch or not.

bc08a.jpg

On the picture above the arm is too much bent or the spring of the bolt catch is too weak. As you can see on the picture, the bolt might damage the bolt catch if it is not properly in its place when it is supposed to be disengaged.

I tried with 3 types (KSC stanag, LM4 stanag, Pmag) and any of them affected the same on the botl catch. That is because they all sit differently in the magwell.

When one uses multiple types of magazines, then the bolt catch needs to be tuned to work properly with all of them. This is where one needs to start playing with the length of the bolt catch spring and the angle of the bolt catch arm. I suggest the arm for first because once the spring is weakened it can not be undone.

bc06.jpg

Next modification required to do: the "arm" of the bolt catch has to be bent a bit. Upper one is a stock, lower one is modified. Actually that modification is too much on that one.

The mod must be tested carefully to make sure it works with all types of magazines you have.

If both the bolt catch spring and arm are modified and work properly with all types of magazines used for the gun being modded, there is one last thing to do.

bc09a.jpg

The part of bolt catch that faces the receiver needs to be filed a bit so the bolt catch can be pushed higher by the magazine spring. The bolt catch pictured is not filed yet but arm already bent. If the filing is done, the gun can be assembled and further testing may take place.

If the bolt catch engages with all types of magazine available then the modification is completed. Enjoy the added realism to your gun!

Remarks:

It is still early when I finish this one so if I mistyped anything, let me know, please.

I am still a horrible photographer.

Magpul PTS ASAP sling mount for WOC

asap2.jpg

I installed the WOC versions of ASAP to both of my KSC and KWA M4.

If one has a dremel it will take only a few minutes. If not, then about an hour. At least it took me that long.

You can see where filing is necessary on a stock product. The most filing needs to be done at the bottom.

asap1.jpg

I filed it, tried it on, continued filing till it was acceptable. There is nothing complicated about it one would not figure out. :)

Edited by emp3ror86
  • 4 weeks later...

Magpul Battery Assist Device

Being a left handed shooter I always try finding accessories to make my gun handling more effective and comfortable. After I watched a video where a leftie guy showed how he uses a Magpul BAD lever I decided I need one, too.

The airsoft version were out of stock almost everywhere so I bought a real one from eBay.

bad01.jpg

The KSC/KWA bolt release button(?) seems to be bigger than the real one. I needed to file some to make it fit because it was too big for the BAD lever. Both from thickness and wideness.

bad02.jpg

bad03.jpg

bad04.jpg

Some Loctite might be needed to secure it perfectly (=zero movement) after the filing.

bad05.jpg

Fortunately the BAD lever works pretty well. It did not cause any problem to my gun and I gained the advantage I expected from it.

Please note that my gun has the Akira bolt catch mod therefore I can not tell how a BAD lever affects a stock gun.

A separate note from the BAD lever.

Never overtighten the screw of the pistol grip upon installation because it might lead to the circled damage below.

damaged01.jpg

I had to replace that part because the buffer retainer was higher than normally affecting the cycle of the bolt.

Guarder steel trigger and magazine release

I got a small package today from Taiwan.

guarder01.jpg

Magazine release

I read somewhere that the Guarder one works better than the stock one so I decided to give it a try. I installed it to my KSC M4 CQB-R. It was a drop in fit fortunately.

Except for the release button the entire item is made of steel. The release button is aluminium. The hex key on the picture was included, too.

guarder02.jpg

The most obvious difference between the stock and the Guarder one is the size of the screw. The Guarder one has got a much smaller one and that is why the hex key is provided.

guarder03.jpg

It can be seen that the stock magazine release stands out from the receiver. It is an LM4 on the picture but KSC got the same issue.

guarder08.jpg

The Guarder one does not. Looks much better.

guarder04.jpg

It is the same with a magazine inserted.

guarder06.jpg

Actually there is no such huge difference in the colors. It seems like that due of my poor photographing skills and the terrible lighting of the basement.

A weak attemption without flash.

guarder07.jpg

guarder05.jpg

It also works better than the stock one.

Steel Trigger

I installed one to my KWA LM4 first.

It is double wrapped and covered in some sort of grease or oil.

guarder09.jpg

Comparison of the stock and Guarder one. Its surface finish is nice but on my picture it looks strange because of the grease.

guarder10.jpg

guarder11.jpg

guarder12.jpg

Installation was flawless. Much surprise from Guarder.

guarder13.jpg

Installed.

guarder14.jpg

With hammer cocked.

guarder15.jpg

Difference between the stock and Guarder one.

The Guarder one in the LM4 has got a proper short trigger pull. Basically the gap (for which Akiraspeedstar made his mod and polished his trigger) disappeared.

If I move the trigger it goes off right away. I am most happy with the outcome.

guarder16.jpg

The difference between the triggers can be seen the most when they are cocked.

guarder17.jpg

Sadly the quality control of Guarder is far from perfect as I found out after I installed the other Guarder trigger to my KSC.

Yet the one in my LM4 works great the other one in my KSC needs to be filed.

The gap is actually worse with the Guarder trigger. I can actually hear it clicking when I pull it over the gap.