tri shot cut down

FHairsoft1

Ok lets try this again....basically has anyone tried cutting a tri shot pump shotgun down to a serbu style shotgun? i have a lathe to cut the barrels and a hand milling machine to make pieces if needed. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this with success or failure. I have 2 of them but kinda looking at one for a separate project. I will post pics as soon as i get started and feed back would be great thanks!

I have cut down a tri-shot, but I believe the end result was longer still than the serbu style. I just used a little pipe cutter for the barrel and mag tube, probably easier than lathing them. Otherwise, as long as you keep the reciever full length, you should be able to just connect to the existing pump mechanism.

You can use the same cutting tool on the inner barrels as well, I enjoy ven have a bit to recrown them, though that would probably be a waste of time on shotty barrels. You will have to drill a new hole to move the part that holds the inner barrels at the muzzle end, but it is pretty easy. Well within your abilities. Ifnworse comes to worse, I do have some extra parts kicking around.

ALL OF THE MEASUREMENTS IN THIS POST ARE FROM MEMORY!

the inner barrels are about 12" a subaru shortys have 4-6" barrel.

It is entirely possible to cut down the inner barrels to the right lenght, as with all cutting inner barrels be carefull with the crowning at the end, and not to crush the barrel.

You'd need to make a new mount between the barrel and shell tube, and rework the shape of the pump to attach it to the action arms but all that is possible.

I see only one problem.

I used a vertical grip on my M3 and it was bad news. Because of the angle of the pump it twisted the stock bar, and I never felt comfortable with it.

You'd need to use a normal style grip but you can still make it smaller.

Very interested in how this project goes. I've always liked short barrelled shot guns and once has a chance to use a real steel Ithaca Wittness Protection shotty that I believe had 10-12 inch barrels. It was a lot of fun. I believe they had a looped canvas strap that was attached along the bottom of the pump so that when you gripped the pump in the usual manner, your hand slid right into the strap and really helped with recoil and pump control. This would be quite easy to do and would not put as much stress on the pump as a vertical grip may do. More compact as well.

I actually might have a pistol grip for you from the old m1014 that I snapped in half, I think the grip is intact and would be easier to mod and fill than a fullstock version. I also have the factory pistol grip version that I would trade for a stock if you prefer.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so i so i got a gun to use for the project thanks to Jibbity. I'm pretty happy with it so far and really like it. I need to work on the pistol grip of some sorts and also the pump grip. I am not too worried about any twisting as i will mount it right where the bars connect, so far its seems to pump nicely. Also i will be making a spacer for the front of the barrels. I am not to concerned for the front sight, but i might try to add one in. Right now its 19 and 3/4" the Serbu is 16" good enough for me. Really was a pretty simple job. The next one will go really quick :)

So to finish i need a barrel spacer, and that already in the plans. I also want a better pistol grip. Anyone tried fitting more compact grips on these? I may need that grip from you Jibbity.

haha forgot to add the pic

DSC00504.jpg

Did a little more work tonight. Still not sure what i want to do about the pump grip. Im not a big fan of how long the Serbu folding grip is, and there is not really anyroom for a standard type grip. Im thinking maybe a little stubby grip.

DSC00506.jpg

What do you guys think?

DSC00508.jpg

Got a temp grip set up not sure if i will keep it, just wanted to test it out tomorrow at a game. I need to figure out some sort of scabbard for it to mount on my back. i kinda want to go with a full sleeve to keep it from getting caught on things but i don't want the fore grip to get caught inside the scabbard. Anyone have any suggestions?

Archived