"The Dark Knight Rises" discussion (SPOILERS)

Leon Kennedy

he racked the slide and continued firing. it looked to me like he had a hang up with a round not cycling properly due to blanks - which happens more than you see because of good editing. i noticed it right away and thought it was odd until my friend and i discussed it and figured that it was a malfunction.

I spotted that too. There was definitely a round visible through the ejection port and he did continue firing after clearing it.

In that case, I stand corrected :P I gotta get the DVD version to watch it again....REALLY didn't see a round in the gun, though it's probably because I was sitting at the second row from the front >__> Actually, if you guys can remember, how many rounds did he fire after he fixed his malfunction? I saw a split second shot of maybe one round out of his Glock (it was fast enough that I put it down as a movie error, but actually at that scene when I watched it I didn't even register that Foley fired 1 more round out of his gun, which would've made me think that the slide out of battery was due to a malfunction, not the Glock being out of ammo) before it showed Talia in her armoured car telling the driver to gun down the cops in the street.

Oh and here's something else that someone can see if they can explain, assuming I missed something again. Bruce visited the doctor who said that he had no cartilage in his knees, along with some other sort of injuries. Now, I have no idea if that stuff even grows back (I assume not, otherwise why would Bruce be walking around with the walking stick for so many years up to the 8th Harvey Dent Day?) but it's shown that he used a piece of tech to enable him to walk again without the stick (just before he dons the batman suit the first time in DKR. However, once Bane shoves him into 'The Pit', he basically lost his tech along with anything else he had on him, bar his clothes. So how did he managed to climb out of 'The Pit', let alone started to walk like a normal person again?

I don't generally pick out movie mistakes because either I'm wrong (as evidenced above :P) or I don't have an eye for it, but after watching DKR there seems to be quite an amount of issues in the film, some of which I pick out during the film, not afterwards >__>

Honesty? I think your looking into it way too much and nitpicking pointlessley. It's a movie for hells sake!! Who care?

Yup, I agree I'm being wayyy too nitpicky :P I said I enjoyed the movie remember? :P

Still, everything written above bothered me after watching it when I started to think about the movie again, so I might as well note it down :P I said I missed most of what Bane said and so I might have missed things out that made some of the scenes in DKR seem ridiculous for me (like Foley having his gun jammed rather than being empty as I suspected...I'm going to rewatch it again to check that part out :P). Plus, I think some of the stuff I mentioned is worth pointing out given the Nolan's whole Batman trilogy is meant to be somewhat realistic right? It's more realistic than any other the other Batman movies to date.

Another thing I just realised (yup, nitpicky again! :D). When the baddies start roaming around Gotham in essentially a batmobile with a desert camo paint job....no one questioned the connection between Batman and Wayne Enterprises or wherever the baddies got the snazzy armoured cars? :P

they'd never gotten a good glimpse of the batmobile before... or maybe they didn't care.

i think you need to lay of the crack pipe and take a nap, you're overthinking this.

NEVER! :D

It's only over-thinking if I'm pulling things out of my *albatross* that require a significant amount of presumptions...the stuff I wrote isn't even anywhere close to that :P

Also, I went to 'teh internetz' and took a look at DKR again. Despite pausing at the scene at several points where Foley's Glock had it's slide back I still can't see how it's a jam and not out of ammo :P Paused JUST before the scene skipped and Foly racking the slide, the Glock doesn't return to battery either, so whether it's a jam or out of ammo as I suspected, I still can't tell :P

You guys are just annoyed that I'm OCDing over all the issues in logic with the film :P If I just said the film was good it's not much of a DKR Discussion thread is it? :D

Also, there's not a lot of lambo-looking armored vehicles around Gotham, there's no way in hell people wouldn't recognise it :P If you say that people didn't care I digress solely on the point of human nature...other than hiding in their houses (the civilians) with the armoured fancy-pants car rumbling around it's not like they have a lot to do :P

• 2 months later...

Anyone care to explain how Bruce managed to get back to Gotham after escaping the pit? He had no money and Alfred wasn't there to support him...

Is it hard to believe that he may have friends all over the world?

Or how did Catwoman get that nice cat-goggle of hers? She's portrayed as a super thief, with that scrawny little sidekick of hers (I have no idea if she was even in the comics...the sidekick I mean) but she shouldn't have access to whatever tech shes using, considering it's customised to her liking (the nightvision/IR part of the goggles being cat-ears when it's flipped up).

she actually does have lots of money. its a perk of being a thief.

How does the cowardly cop (I forgot his name...lol? I have memory problems :() guy managed to NOT KNOW HOW TO USE A PISTOL? The Glock he was shooting a few seconds before he got shot to hell clearly locked back it's slide from being empty; and instead of reloading like what a normal person would do, he racks the slide!?!? REALLY? As an airsofter that scene disgusted me :P

Also, something's wrong with that guy's logic too..."oh Gordon, didn't you see what they did to the spec ops?" Oh, you mean KILL them? Well I would've thought any bad guy with half a brain would've done the same thing if they found the spec ops operating against them! :rolleyes:

Bane's death or incapacitation sucked. I'm assuming he got killed by the shot from the Bat-Bike thingy or whatever it's official name was....

I assume his armor stopped it. did you see what that bat pod did to that stack of cars? Bane would have popped like a bag of blood if it would have really killed him. i assume its so that he can return in a possible sequel.

And the whole "Miranda" charade...well, I think anyone who's a hardcore Batman fan (I'm not...never read any of the comics, though I've skimmed through Batman wikis for quite some time due to Batman Arkam City/Asylum) would've seen through it once it was said that Bane's the 'son' of Al Ghul....granted, I had a derp moment throughout the film when I just blindly accepted that as a fact, only to realise it when I got out of the theatre.....

I knew she was talia when i saw the news about her being in the movie months before release.

Oh and I couldn't understand more than half of what Bane was saying >___> Seriously, wtf's wrong with the way they made his voice.

I disslike people hating on this aspect of the movie. its called an artistic license. people have been hating on this since pre release footage of bane came out. they were also pressured by the production company to make him more understandable, but christopher nolan refused. besides, pretty much none of what he actually says is important, you only need to understand the emotion of his dialogue other than that, i could understand him. you should try to talk to more people with accents different than yours.

And I'm not sure if this is just me because I wasn't focused on the movie, but the way the cut from scene to scene actually had quite an amount of time difference. I was surprised that the Harvey Dent Day was..I think 8 years after TDK? Also, the weeks or months difference between the cutscenes when Bane was running Gotham....

hmm, what else.....oh, Scarecrow...was it a coincidence that he was the 'judge' of the revolutionaries? Or was he acting as the Scarecrow? Because even in TKD he wore is mask...what happened in DKR??? WHERE'S HIS MASK? D: It's not like it's hard to make anyway...it's god damn bag over his head! If it WAS Scarecrow acting as the judge that made no sense to me...maybe I'm missing some crucial info from the movie...

He didnt need his mask anymore and he wasn't playing scarecrow. he was just there as Dr. Crane.

Oh and Bane's introduction in Gotham (the Gordon in the sewers part) seemed so....out of place. How did Bane get there? Did I miss something he said on the plane crash scene (I couldn't understand him half the time anyway)....but relocating a whole ARMY into the sewers, along with the cutting and drilling construction through the bottom of Wayne Enterprises...argh, right, no one in Gotham noticed that.....the buildings don't vibrate, no sophisticated security in the secret lab, etc....

Oh and sending all the cops into the tunnels to take down an Army...sure you had a couple of SWAT guys with laughable MP5s....and they already knew there was something of an ARMY down there already (Gordon would've told them about the guys with the 50 cal sniper rifle and the AKs....RIGHT?) but decide to send the cops in with.....Glock pistols. A bunch of FAT cops (nothing against cops, but that's what portrayed in the movie >___>) with 9mm Glocks...sigh. I'm sure in America if the police knew there were a bunch of armed men, with rifles and body armor, doing something in the sewers, you wouldn't send city cops....

Its all they had. they needed a first response force and i dont think they had M4s and level 4 body armor for every cop in gotham. it takes quite a bit to happen for the US to actually respond and move national guard troops into action. they also wanted to keep it quiet and deal with it themselves.

As much as I rage over the details I wrote above (along with some already mentioned by others), the film was still very enjoyable...but....seriously, wtf ^ :(

anyway, sorry for the necro, but arguments must be made. never really looked at this topic before. only found it because im looking for info on banes gear for a friends halloween costume.

anyway, sorry for the necro, but arguments must be made. never really looked at this topic before. only found it because im looking for info on banes gear for a friends halloween costume.

ARGH write it out out the quote thing next time, I can't quote back! :P

"Is it hard to believe that he may have friends all over the world?"

The movie never specifically mentioned that Bruce Wayne has friends ALL around the world :P

"she actually does have lots of money. its a perk of being a thief."

Yeah, but my point was who would've been able to make that tech for her?

"I assume his armor stopped it. did you see what that bat pod did to that stack of cars? Bane would have popped like a bag of blood if it would have really killed him. i assume its so that he can return in a possible sequel."

Hm, never considered that, thanks for reminding me about the bat pod XD

"I knew she was talia when i saw the news about her being in the movie months before release."

Good for you :P I was enjoying the movie so blindly until I realised the obvious right after the credits :P Real face-palming moment right there for me.

"I disslike people hating on this aspect of the movie. its called an artistic license. people have been hating on this since pre release footage of bane came out. they were also pressured by the production company to make him more understandable, but christopher nolan refused. besides, pretty much none of what he actually says is important, you only need to understand the emotion of his dialogue other than that, i could understand him. you should try to talk to more people with accents different than yours."

Now you're just sprouting a lot of vitriol all over me for my own opinion, aren't you :rolleyes: I doubt Nolan would agree that what Bane says is not important, and it's just the emotions that he conveys to the audience too. He's a character in the movie after all, what he says gives light to his background; so I'll have to disagree with you on that.

Also, a bit presumptuous in implying that I should try to talk to more people with accents different than mine? I went to an international school for high school education and I have my fair share of conversations with people with different accents. Bane's voice was hard to understand in the theatre. I find it deplorable that you'd imply this on me when all I did was express my opinion why I didn't enjoy Bane's voice. You might have a different opinion and I respect that, but don't go off slagging everyone that don't.

"He didnt need his mask anymore and he wasn't playing scarecrow. he was just there as Dr. Crane."

Perhaps I'm not too familiar with the Batman lore then if he's just playing his 'normal' self, but I get it now :P

"Its all they had. they needed a first response force and i dont think they had M4s and level 4 body armor for every cop in gotham. it takes quite a bit to happen for the US to actually respond and move national guard troops into action. they also wanted to keep it quiet and deal with it themselves."

Very well, but I still think it's a bad call made by Gordon. He's seen first hand (okay, I ASSUME HE'S SEEN FIRST HAND given that he was dragged through the sewer system semi-conscious) what fire power and man power they had down there yet he sends all the cops (bar the main/side characters) down there to deal with the situation. Does Gotham magically have zero crimes going on at a certain time of day, which magically coincides with all the cops going down to the sewers? I would think not. Then you have the fact that the cops were seriously out-gunned in the first place. Sure you might have more cops than mercs but I don't think the doctrine for engaging enemies with overwhelming fire power is to zerg rush them and hope you have a couple of troops standing at the end of everything.

Archived