Hi-Capacity Detonics

Hi there - not a very interesting idea here, but something I'd like to try in the future, if you think it'd work. Essentially I'm looking to create a GBB similar to the Para-Ordnance P10-45 - It's a Sub-Compact 1911 with a 10 round, double stack magazine. Here's a picture for reference -

1287742453.jpg

Looking at the slide, it looks much like a Detonics, but slightly shorter and without the rear slide cutout. My idea was to create a similar gun, a Sub-Compact, Hi-Capacity 1911 using a Detonics for the upper portion, and a WE Hi-Capa 3.8 for the lower. If the parts are compatible with some minor work, I should end up with something like this -

DetonicsHi-Capa.jpg

Do you think there would be any major problems when assembling this? I'm aware I need to remove the metal insert from the Detonics slide to fit the Hi-Capa chassis, but would it be a drop on fit? I assume the plastic slide and TM hop parts would negate any negative aspects of the WE, and I would probably fit TM internals into the 3.8 for the best results. Do you think this would be worth trying?

Thanks

That a great idea. You should be able to pull this off quite easily with the parts your mentioned. However, you may want to consider a metal Detonics slide. Using the WE frame and doing what upgrades you can to it. I'm not sure about using all of the internals of the TM 4.3 as it was my understanding that the WE frame has some differences in design. However, I could be wrong.

I recently did some work along this line when I wanted a full metal Commander style 1911. I bought a full metal WE 4.3 slide, replaced the barrel and guide rod group with that from a TM Desert Warrior, I then installed the frame internals (trigger, sear hamer and springs) of the TM into a KJW 1911A1 frame. It came out quite good and shoots like a dream.

I'll be interested in seeing how your project turns out.

I think to begin with I'll stick to plastic, as I have lots of TM Detonics slides about, but I'll probably upgrade later. I think with the tiny slide and double stack mag, the gas efficiency will be great. I believe most TM Hi-Capa parts will fit the WE, but I'll just have to try and see. Thanks for the interest and help.

WE 1911 sides work on the WE hicapa. Don't think the TM will as WE used Hicapa design for the 1911, TM did not.

But, TM 1911 slides fit on Hi-Capas - you just have to remove a metal insert from the inside of it. Even if TM and WE slides are of different design, my understanding is that if a Hi-Capa slide will fit on it, be it WE or TM, then a 1911 slide will too.

TM Hi-Capa parts will fit in a WE Hi-Capa but TM 1911 frame parts won't fit properly in a WE 1911.

They cloned the Hi-Capa then to get a 1911 out before TM they modded it down from the Hi-Capa, but it is poop.

'FireKnife'

TM Hi-Capa parts will fit in a WE Hi-Capa but TM 1911 frame parts won't fit properly in a WE 1911.

They cloned the Hi-Capa then to get a 1911 out before TM they modded it down from the Hi-Capa, but it is poop.

'FireKnife'

Yeah I know about the 1911 issues, but as far as I know the We Hi-Capa, being a close clone of the TM, will take TM 1911 and Hi-Capa slides fine.

Archived