Hurricane Kimber Tactical Entry II Kit Review

Well, today my Hurricane kimber tactical entry II kit arrived I figured I'd do something constructive and actually review it a little before assembling it so anyone can take a look at it and decide if it's worth the money.

I'll TRY to be as objective as possible, feel free to point anything out or ask anything.

The kit comes with:

dscn1476e.jpg

-Aluminim slide and frame

-Aluminum separate extractor (the round piece on the rear of the slide)

-Plastic wood imitation grips

-Steel slide catch

-Steel mag release

-Steel magwell

-Aluminum trigger

-150% recoil spring

-Stainless steel outer barrel (two piece)

-Steel night sights (not tritium, just glow sights)

-Aluminum slide rail for marui 1911s (like the ASone: http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/airsoft-surgeon-cnc-reinforced-slide-guide-for-marui-m1911-meu.html )

Well, first things first, you get what you pay for, it's a LOT of things for a relatively low price (200$ at time of writing from airsoft global or boomarms).

dscn1484s.jpg

dscn1485q.jpg

The slide catch , magwell and mag release showed rust when they arrived (the slide catch has an appreciable stain of rust, the magwell has the screw holes full of rust and the mag release has small spots with rust all over).

dscn1483u.jpg

dscn1480n.jpgdscn1477e.jpg

dscn1482qn.jpg

The finish on the slide has imperfections, on the rear of the slide (thou those are partially from some sort of adhesive) and on the underside of the front of the slide (slight scratches and imperfections).

The fitting is, for the most part drop-in, however I had to sand down the frame rails so the slide would...well, slide smoothly AND the damn barrel-lock lugs are giving me a royal kick in the *albartroth* but that goes with most 1911 kits, unfortunately.

Overall an easy kit to install, a medium kit to fit (frame rails plus barrel lugs, yuck). You could probably bypass all the barrel lug sanding if you used a quality outer barrel say... a shooters design outer for example.

I won't be using the magwell due to it's design and rust (the rust part goes for the slide catch as well).

On the other hand, the night sights are quite functional and fun!

dscn1487j.jpg

As always, sorry for the quality of the pictures my camera sucks.

Also, remember, as with all kits, your mileage can vary.

Hurricane also make the proper Kimber-style (grooves) grip safety. (It dropped into my Hurricane SIS kit.) For a few $$ more, I don't know why they don't just include it with this kit.

As far as I can remember the real-steel Kimber Warrior / Desert Warrior and Kimber SIS pistols use the grip-safety with the wavey-grooves, otherwise they use the normal Kimber grip-safety, this includes the Tactical Entry II.

Cheers.

As far as I can remember the real-steel Kimber Warrior / Desert Warrior and Kimber SIS pistols use the grip-safety with the wavey-grooves, otherwise they use the normal Kimber grip-safety, this includes the Tactical Entry II.

Cheers.

Correct, normal kimber grip-safety.

Kimber%20Tactical%20Entry%20II.jpg

Next month I'll get a nova grip-safety and kimber-type ambi safety (If I can find them and afford them).

Pics of the finished kit are UP on the 1911 picture thread : D

Also I contacted boomarms to see if they can do something about the rusty parts.

You might be better off contacting Thunder Sports directly about the rusted parts,

I'm sure Boomarms will also do their best for you, but you could be left waiting.

I've seen about 15 different Hurricane kits in the last month all suffering from varying degrees of rust,

most of them were beyond the stage of wiping down with an oily cloth,

if you have the right kind of equipment you might be able to remove the rust, sand down, reblue, sand down reblue etc.etc.

but unfortunetly this process can work out quite expensive unless you already have the appropriate Birchwood Casey products.

Eventually you will probably replace the takedown lever with the Nova version, but the problem with the magwell is very annoying and should warrant a response from Thunder Sports, I had a TEII frame replaced from them before, so it's not completely unheard of.

It's a pity the Nova stuff is so expensive, I had to get two takedown levers a month ago, I could have bought A HK Glock 17 for the same price :(

Edited by Squad 701

A little update on the kit already fitted and working just fine.

As the video description states, it's about a 3/4 fill mag at room temperature (and an older mag, I'd have been better if I had used the newer mags that I have, oh well, another time).

Also, the provided spring is definitely about 200% compared to the 150% of the PGC kits that I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSB7y5lpMR8

Boomarms so far hasn't responded, I'll try TS next, thanks for the suggestion!