Designlog: M4 to AK Magwell converter

Gooberz

The mods been around. Cheapest way is cutting a small slot on the feed tube and positioning an o-ring at the slot so it provides just enough tension on the bbs

That's awesome, and so so simple too, going to do that to all my normal AEG now I think, since I usually play games with fairly low ammo cap, it's annoying to have urges to do tactical reload while debating that I would be losing a few bbs everytime I do that, this solves it! Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

2012-11-20_15.42.23.jpg

After a bit of an intermission, I return with progress! I just got a prototype printed yesterday, had the supports dissolved today, and picked it up about half an hour ago. It fits magpul midcaps like a dream. There's a slight problem with some of my normal M4 mags, but I've noted the tolerance issues and will correct them when I get to play with solidworks again. Tonight I'll be able to check the fit in an AK magwell, to see if it works. At 2.19 cu in, I paid approximately $25 to get it printed. Unfortunately, there is not a functional mag catch yet.

Indeed.

Shapeways uses different rapidprototyping methods for different materials. You really need to read the descriptions properly, but besides that, I sometimes find them misleading.

Items printed in "stainless steel" aren't actually comparable to those milled from a billet.They are actually SS-particles glued together, which actually makes it a composite material instead of a metal. Composites have way different properties as metals, strain and tensile strenght probably wont even come anywhere close to that of real stainless steel. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

very nice work. i was just wondering how easy it is to remove the magwell? i noticed that the mag catch doesn't fully 'close'. like how it sits flush with the magwell

It's a little tight, but not unreasonably difficult to remove. I must not have completely seated it in the video, but it does close all the way (Just needed a little push). That's just one of those tolerances I needed to tweak.

That is really cool, sign me up for 2 ;p

Haha, if only. I won't have these ready to go for more than two months. Universities don't take kindly to airsoft guns.

excuses, after its done you can open a store using shapeways and just have them print it for us as we order them. you dont have to do anything.

i see this as a way to use an ak in milsim games without being hassled by your team about it when they use ar15s.

Don't know if you have already thought of this, if so ignore the below:

The g36-m4 converter may be a good source of inspiration for the mag release and the type of spring you would need, as this is pretty much the same thing but in an ak not a g36. If you want any pictures for reference then I think I have a spare one kicking around that I could take to pieces.

Archived