When I got into airsoft I couldn’t really get ‘into’ M4’s, I wasn’t a huge fan of their looks, nor the fact that nearly everyone has them. As such, I opted for a G36 (3, actually) and never looked back. I read that G&G planned to release a low maintenance, reliable and cheap gas gun. I was put off gas guns for two out of three of those reasons. Maintenance and reliability so the thought of owning a gas gun became a real possibility.

After a conversation with a couple of people that had got one of the first few released I decided to bit the bullet and go and have a look at one in London. They currently do three models (I think I saw 4 on the official G&G site however only 3 are available at the moment I believe).

A standard M4 carbine and 2 limited edition models with metal RIS rails and an adaptable stock, all versions come in black and tan and are based exactly round the G&G CM16 AEG, obviously with a different gearbox, still a version 2 however.

In terms of stripping the gun down it really couldn’t be easier. One pin to split the top half away from the receiver, the barrel and hop fit snugly into the top rail and can only be fitted one way so no chance of not getting it lined up correctly. I also opted to put a different stock on the gun, this was a bit of a pain at first however, as with all things, once you know what you’re doing it is very straight forward.

Now onto how the gun actually performs etc –

I bought it on Friday just gone, had a couple of test shots on Friday evening and Saturday to get the hop bedded in and all adjusted ready for it’s first skirmish at The Mall in Reading.

I bought 6 mags in total (1 comes with the gun) and unfortunately 3 of them weren’t working so if you do get them I suggest test firing and testing every mag, I’m not sure if this is going to be a common problem or if I was just every unlucky however either way replacements are on their way so no problems!

To get the gun ‘ready’ you simply fill the mag with BB’s and gas (I’m currently running it on Abbey green however will be switching to propane to keep costs down). To anyone reading this considering venturing into gas gun ownership but don’t know much about them, propane is identical to green gas excluding lubrication. Switching to propane works out about 80% cheaper so it certainly is worth the hassle of having to self lube every now and again (snigger). Once the mag is in the magwell you simply pull the cocking lever situated above the stock and you’re ready to go!

The sound of the gun on full auto is ridiculous, I really was quite shocked at how loud it is, for me this is a good thing but appreciate not everyone wants a noisy gun.

Range is very good out of the box, I have heard good things about the green G&G rubber. I do also have a Madbull blue that I am going to try and see if it’s better or worse than the G&G one.

Gas consumption wise I’d say about 60 shots per gas charge. The mags actually hold 40 rounds in them however only putting 30 in is highly advised to avoid any problems.

One downside is it’s very funny about which BB’s you run though it. I use Bulldog BB’s which work absolutely perfectly with it however I also have some Blaster tracer rounds and the gun really doesn’t like them. A lot of jamming up in the mag and not firing etc so bare this in mind as well. It is also highly recommended to run the gun on .25’s as I have heard the gun doesn’t like .2’s at all.

In summary it’s bloody brilliant. Typical G&G quality internally with a nice looking exterior, if you want a first gas gun that you can simply leave in your gun bag at the end of the day rather than going through all the normal maintenance procedures then definitely have a closer look at the G&G CM16 GBB.

It cost me £450 in total including the limited edition long version of the gun, 5 extra mags and a G&G stock, worth absolutely every penny in my opinion. A solid 8.5/10.

I will update this with pictures of the gun once a few bits and pieces I have planned for the gun arrive as well unless anyone is desperate to see it in standard form!

Any questions fire away!

I think PAS are the first to have them in the UK, I haven't seen anyone else stocking them yet.

Although you are aware even a gearbox based GBBR system will require just as much maintenance as a regular GBBR? There's a similar if not greater amount of moving parts and rubber seals in the system, so it'll need a decent clean a lot more often than an AEG.

I think PAS are the first to have them in the UK, I haven't seen anyone else stocking them yet.

Although you are aware even a gearbox based GBBR system will require just as much maintenance as a regular GBBR? There's a similar if not greater amount of moving parts and rubber seals in the system, so it'll need a decent clean a lot more often than an AEG.

That's the complete opposite from what I've been told tbh!

I too agree with the hwagan & ollie_ty, true GBBRs systems have less parts to worry about breaking & are not as problematic as what some may have stated to you. It be interesting to see how this platform runs long term. It may be okay for some but not for many.

That's the complete opposite from what I've been told tbh!

Put it this way; a TM Hicapa, widely regarded as probably the most reliable GBB pistol around, needs regular maintenance. You get dust clinging to oil on the moving parts, which builds up over time; Seals dry out and stop functioning, metal parts moving on metal with dust caught between them will wear faster than usual and you'll have issues.

Essentially, no matter how simple a GBB system is, you still need to make sure the moving parts are free from debris and lubricated to minimise wear; Sure, your M4 might run a month or two without a clean, but then you'll start suffering - And without regular maintenance, the first failure (And there will be one, trust me on that - With a GBB it's a matter of when not if) is more likely to be serious if the system hasn't been maintained.

Think of it like this; Colt wanted the US Government to buy their M16, and told them it was self cleaning and an ultimate supergun. Sure, it was a great weapon when maintained properly and thoroughly, but people using the thing picked up pretty quickly that it needed regular, thorough, careful maintaining to ensure reliability. Whilst the G&G system is looking like a great option for getting into the world of GBBR's, don't expect it to be anything like an AEG!

Hwagan is correct ( as always)

Awwwww shucks ^_^

I bought one today! HUZAH! I have taken it apart given ti a poke around and found it not wanting as yet, it does have a lovely crisp recoil and a nice overall feel and use.

The mechanism to stop it dry firing is simple enough and does the trick .. to be honest I am even after firing a few mags through it quite happy with the sound and look.

I will be taking it too the Sandpit next week and will give a full review after putting it through it's paces.

tumblr_m8lnykZv1l1ql48v6o1_1280.jpg

I must say ... I doubt the sales guys would of said it has no maintenance .. maybe they said easy maintenance? I know pretty much all the guys at PAS and they are good people in my opinion. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So I don't have an in-depth review, mainly because I switched to my VSR.

I found it a pretty good rifle, the mags hold more than enough gas for 30 rounds even using 144a, I really liked the weight and feel, I will how ever say the accuracy OOTB is sub par human .. not horrible but god damn I want a tight bore up and in this *badgeress* :P.

All said and done, out of the box I am thinking 7.5 / 10, it is a sweet rifle, a little work and it should be really good. If anyone has any suggestions for upgrades I would love to hear as this is actually my first M4 xD

tumblr_m923y2fH4n1ql48v6o1_1280.jpg

So I don't have an in-depth review, mainly because I switched to my VSR.

I found it a pretty good rifle, the mags hold more than enough gas for 30 rounds even using 144a, I really liked the weight and feel, I will how ever say the accuracy OOTB is sub par human .. not horrible but god damn I want a tight bore up and in this *badgeress* :P.

All said and done, out of the box I am thinking 7.5 / 10, it is a sweet rifle, a little work and it should be really good. If anyone has any suggestions for upgrades I would love to hear as this is actually my first M4 xD

AEG barrel and hop in it dude? If so, you'll be shooting lasers in no time!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I can take some internal shots tonight.

FPS on a very warm day (30's by the 2pm point)

134a - between 315 and 321

Green - between 365 and 375

It was exceedingly warm when I go to the Mall in 2 weeks I will be taking it with me and will give you hopefully a decent reading.

• 1 month later...

finally came out in the states and had a go at one of the standard carbines at work. has about the same amount of moving parts as any GBBR, but the bolt travel is very short obviously.

the gun is mostly self contained like an AEG rather than its standard GBBR cousins, and its lubed a good amount with a heavier grease, so i don't see the need to have to grease it too often as long as you're not getting sand in it.

being in the US, G&G decided to make it shoot a little over 400, which sucks in long island NY where most of the places to go to are 350 and under CQB places. i tore it down to see if i could downgrade it. has a standard negative pressure system in it, so i tried covering the floating valve in shrink wrap which proceeded to do nothing. i didnt try anything else as i didnt buy it yet, but im really thinking about it. i was going to do a build on a G&G combat machine soon, just to have a light weight gun, and this one may be it.

just to have to brain storm with you guys on how to get this downgraded. you think any of you guys could post a pick of your floating valves from over the pond? they are bound to be restricted. that and the floating valve spring. and if your kind enough, i need one of you guys to send one over to me (i'll pay for it of course) if you can get the part.

only thing that worries me is the plastic mechbox shell. the bolt carrier is a giant hunk of rather heavy pot metal slamming on the back of a mechbox shell made up of (i think) nylon fiber plastic. it does butt up against the back of the body, but the body is plastic too.

oh, also, when i opened it, there was a fair *suitcase* load of metal shavings inside the bolt and nozzle assembly. im guessing from excess plating on most of the metal parts. gotta clean that *suitcase* out.

either way though. i think im going to buy it and play around with the externals a bit. i am moving back to CT in a little while and probably won't be playing much CQB at all, so it doesn't really matter. but just in case, i want to downgrade it when i need to. theres also the case of lion claws events. i need to make sure it doesn't shoot over 375 or so with a .25. after i get a 16" barrel in it, it might.

just to have to brain storm with you guys on how to get this downgraded.

Seeing as it's basically an AEG with a gas mechbox - Get a short inner barrel and hop assembly for CQB, 2 minutes swap between standard IB for outdoors and clipped IB for indoors. Easy peazy boobie squeezy.

the hop up is actually different and not available as a spare part just yet. it uses aeg barrels and buckings, but the hopup unit itself is different. i would also like to keep my full length barrel as my closest cqb place is more of a mid range place but still has a 350 fps limit. so id like to hold onto as much accuracy as possible.

Edited by Horsem4n

ah poo, can't edit. so i built it anyway. i figure i'll just run it with the longer barrel though as i have tri shots collecting dust i can use in CQBeh. however, after sticking a madbull 247mm barrel in there, the FPS went down to 365 and that would be acceptable in said CQBeh site. it was accurate when tested, but i really only shot into the distance, nice even and consistent arc for as long as i could see the BB from a tracer unit in the dark. only thing is, after i changed the barrel out, the BBs started to get pushed passed the hop up mound unless it was turned up way high. i put in a madbull blue one and that quelled the issue, but now it over hops .25s. i have .30s to try, but i only had up to .25 tracers. i have to wait until i get outside with it in the day time with a scope to really see the range. but ill be droppin in my 455 prommy and an HNub befor that.

and heres a couple of pics of it:

IMAG0530.jpg

IMAG0532.jpg

why cant the barrel and extension be the same OD god dammit!?! damned JG outer barrel.

i really just wanted to put my shorty full stock on something. and as it sits. it weighs 6.5 pounds loaded :o

Ultimate light weight GBBR right there. my KWA weighed 6 pounds unloaded and 20 pounds loaded with a forgrip and PEQ box :rolleyes:;)

also. since this wasn't said yet, it is a copy of the GHK kit, not the GHK kit itself, but a G&G made copy. it looks to have been changed here and there to fit better in the combat machine body as well. the bolt has been flared out to the right to cover more space and give you a shelf to actually push the bolt into battery manually, something i could not do on the King Arms x GHK colab M4 with a genuine GHK box. there's bound to be other differences, but i cannot comment on them as i have not noticed and other major differences.

Edited by Horsem4n
  • Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

ah poo, can't edit. so i built it anyway. i figure i'll just run it with the longer barrel though as i have tri shots collecting dust i can use in CQBeh. however, after sticking a madbull 247mm barrel in there, the FPS went down to 365 and that would be acceptable in said CQBeh site. it was accurate when tested, but i really only shot into the distance, nice even and consistent arc for as long as i could see the BB from a tracer unit in the dark. only thing is, after i changed the barrel out, the BBs started to get pushed passed the hop up mound unless it was turned up way high. i put in a madbull blue one and that quelled the issue, but now it over hops .25s. i have .30s to try, but i only had up to .25 tracers. i have to wait until i get outside with it in the day time with a scope to really see the range. but ill be droppin in my 455 prommy and an HNub befor that.

and heres a couple of pics of it:

IMAG0530.jpg

IMAG0532.jpg

why cant the barrel and extension be the same OD god dammit!?! damned JG outer barrel.

i really just wanted to put my shorty full stock on something. and as it sits. it weighs 6.5 pounds loaded :o

Ultimate light weight GBBR right there. my KWA weighed 6 pounds unloaded and 20 pounds loaded with a forgrip and PEQ box :rolleyes:;)

also. since this wasn't said yet, it is a copy of the GHK kit, not the GHK kit itself, but a G&G made copy. it looks to have been changed here and there to fit better in the combat machine body as well. the bolt has been flared out to the right to cover more space and give you a shelf to actually push the bolt into battery manually, something i could not do on the King Arms x GHK colab M4 with a genuine GHK box. there's bound to be other differences, but i cannot comment on them as i have not noticed and other major differences.

There are extra screws and reinforcements made in the casing for the Gas-assembly, and the O-rings are all made from G&Gs' special Cold-Resistant Rubber, as far as I've been able to tell.

• 3 weeks later...

I really, really liked the G&G when I tried it. A friend as going to buy one from Evike after the expo there, but they said the rifles were returned for some sort of design flaw? I'm not entirely sure what that was about, but delays happened and we eventually went with the LM4. But had that not happened, we wouldn't have any qualms rocking them. They're very efficient and fun rifles.

How's the quality on the magazines?

mags seam OK. they like to belch liquid gas because of the fast ROF on FA, but i use mostly semi. the construction of the mags is OK, not as solid as a WA/WE/KWA/KJW style mag, but looks like it will hold up. it appears to be made with the same magazine shell as G&Gs regular high caps, so its a rather thin sheet metal. on design, its really easy to load, easier than even an AEG mag. just bung the speed loader up to it and it just fills right up. only downside is if you insert the mag at the wrong angle, you can dump some gas accidentally as the valve protrudes from the mag a lot. but that's a training issue, it wouldn't be too hard to avoid doing so.

PS, im still trying to sell mine. trying to get myself away from GIM GBBs. any good offer will take it.

Edited by Horsem4n