DIY V3 Quick change gearbox

Jibbity

I have to start by apologizing for posting this twice. I put it n the AUG picture thread, but would like to reach a larger audience for feedback and suggestions, hopefully from someone whohas done something similar. This should apply pretty directly to P90s as well. The cuts are rough, had to go with what was on hand, which apparently was no good for cutting aluminum.

20120806_225309.jpg

20120805_231346-1.jpg

20120805_231258-1.jpg

The one thing not shown in the photos, I cut back the rails in the gearbox for the piston so that there is room to push in the spring guide and rotate it a quarter turn. The spring guide is a modified v3, arms are trimmed to allow for rotation with the gearbox closed.

This is a JG V3 gearbox, which has decent thickness on that back wall. The AUG (and likely the P90) is well suited as I can use a metal back plate to lend some extra support.

I have around 1500 rounds through it @ 370 fps, flawless so far.

Has anyone else done this? Comments or suggestions?

IIRC Lonex GB shells are made of a stronger material, correct? That might be a good shell for this mod

I have never seen one in person, so it is hard to comment. It does require decent thickness on the back wall of the gearbox. The SHS 9mm GB thag I have kicking around is too thin in the back to be suitable for the application.

Also, more $ at risk. Personally, I get perverse pleasure from building my guns as cheaply as possible.

Looking at my old TM V3 the area that takes the load from the spring is specific and indicated by burnishing after some use.

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0887B.jpg

And the other side

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0890B.jpg

For this mechbox at least the area outlined in red seems to be the only area carrying a load from the spring guide, the rest plays a role in overall structure but is not directly resisting the spring guide, ether it flexes enough the surface has not been burnished or it just doesn't even contact the spring guide due to small surface imperfections.

The back of the old TM V3 is 1.7mm measured with digital calipers. its 1.7mm at the tab slots for the spring guide as well. Given the wear pattern it appears this mod should be doable without loosing much strength as long as I don't cut away more then needed on both the shell and spring guide.

The spring pushes on the flange of the spring guide, I need to keep as much of the shell under that base flange as possible and keep as much of that area on the spring guide as possible, balancing cutting each to achieve the maximum support while allowing the guide to pass through the hole in the shell.

edit: OOPS, that wont work! Need enough space for the whole spring, which means it has to be a metal base at least on the spring guide as it supports the whole spring and transmits that to whats left of the tabs... hrmm this really removes most of the support!

I only have a plastic spring guide to spare right now and dont want to cut my brass with bearing spring guides, which are supporting m160's at 500fps anyway and not good candidates. Will build this with the plastic one and a very light spring I guess, and get an aluminum guide to cut down for anything over 350fps

:P again wont work, need metal guide to have a chance at not breaking given the spring is loading just the tabs which have to be cut short!

I had the exact same thought process...funny. I was originally going to just cut a thinnish slot, basically the width of the tabs, until I remembered that I actually have to get a spring in there.

If you are using linear springs, you may be able to thread the spring in and out through the slot. That would, however, be much less 'quick'.

Yeah, the only reason i want this is to change very heavy springs without opening the shell and wishing I had a third hand to keep everything from flying apart. And it wont work for those heavy springs anyway without a good aluminum shell. I am sure my potmetal TM would snap under load. Bummer but I cant do this mod with what I have. I would maybe try it with a CNC shell IF I had money to burn on such things and then some more money to burn on modding them. 7075 aluminum would make me feel much more comfortable with supporting just the short tabs.

I will do some testing with heavier springs at some point. I'm pretty confident that it will take the load. At least in the AUG where I have the back plate for secondary support. Besides, weren't you going to cut the back off that box anyhow? Why not let those springs do some of the work for you?

Older TM V3 is 1.7mm average, potmetal so it varies a bit from 1.67-1.71mm.

I am going to cut the back off and reattach so I'm not going to do this mod, though I will later if I get a 4th v3 to mod (that is aluminum).

JG v3 is aluminum right? that may be a good pickup to have a backup mech since my current backup is going under the knife for the SR3M mod.

Another 800 or so rounds last night, 350fps, 30ish rps. I did get a bit cocky and strip my piston by dropping an m165 in there and shooting full auto. Full autopsy to come, but the shell looks fine. It may be time for a full metal tooth piston...

Archived