Link: http://www.acmgear.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=a%2B&x=0&y=0

The A+ Studio hop up rubber is advertised as being capable of stretching the range of your airsoft gun more than noticeably. First video of this product showed a WE Glock 18C accurately shooting out to 60 metres (197 feet). Let’s see how much of this is true.

Im not the mechanical type, so Im just gonna give you my impressions on this rubber. I turned it inside out so you can see the surface that gives the BB its spin: it’s much wider than the average rubber and the circumference seems to give a more

The hop up rubber comes in a little plastic baggie, together with a small piece of paper stating the hardness level (depending on the power your gun is shooting at), you may need a 60’ (up to 330 fps), a 70’ (340-390 fps) or an 80’ 83’ (390 fps and above), and the type of gun for which this specific rubber is made (AEG, Gas Pistol or sniper rifle, careful: just a few models can take this rubber).

I wish they came mounted on a piece of plastic tube (like Madbull’s), as mine came a bit flattened. No hop up nub is included. I guess you can use the standard one.

SANY0001-2.jpg

Installing these parts is very easy (once you get the inner barrel and hop up unit out; this can take less than a minute on most M4 type AEGs, to 10 minutes on more complicated guns). Get yourself a disassembly guide for your gun, study it, get a clean working surface (white towel so small parts dont jump around and can be easily seen).

Disassemble the hop up unit. Take the standard rubber out and substitute with the XX. Make sure it’s in the correct position. Carefully mount back into hop up chamber and reassemble the whole gun.

The theory is that the wider contact surface is going to provide the BB with a more thorough backspin. Also, the inner curve of the contact surface should provide better control of the BB, as it is touching it more widely, which should increase precision, IMO. There are people on this forum who know whay more about the physics of these. Look for hop up rubber mods, R-Hop, etc.

SANY0003.jpg

Performance:

I used KSC 0,20 gram BBs.

I tested this in a stock JM SR-16 with a 13.5’ barrel (CQBR style). Stock inner barrel (cleaned), stock everything. Stock FPS: 341-352. Hop up adjusted.

The average range of the gun was (in a circle of about 2 meters in diameter) from where I was shooting in kneeling position: 60 meters (200 feet).

At around 30 meters (100 feet), I hit this box 12/20 times.

At 12 meters (40 feet) I got this grouping.

On the same gun, after just changing the hop up rubber and leaving everything else as it was, I got these results:

FPS: went up to 358-366. Because of the tighter fit against the BB, there’s a better seal, I guess.

Range: Shooting from more or less the same position, I got the BBs to drop at around 80 meters (260 feet).

At around 30 meters (100 feet), I hit this box 18/20 times.

At 12 meters (40 feet) I got this grouping.

SANY0008.jpg

Not bad, but, could you test them with 0.28 or heavier BBs? If I recall correctly, these buckings were meant to be used with heavy ammo (o.28 and up) and results should be much much better with heavier BBs

but to be honest, Im a bit worried about the increase in FPS... most of us have our guns tuned for legal power in our regular fields, and if this bucking rises the power so much... well, it can be unconvenient :(

I did simmilar tests in a 225mm madbull python 2 as compared to a promy purple and a angle custom black h nub at ~1j with ksc .25g BBs. I found a decrease in range and overall accuracy with the A+ REAPs, so much so I felt keeping a record was useless.

• 3 months later...

Kind of necro, sorry.

Got to test the AEG bucking, bought from ACMGear, the softest one and while my range has certainly improved I found a weird effect, maybe it is due to the bucking not being "broken" yet, but the first 10 or 15 BBs were not affected by hop, the hop then made its effect and started spitting BBs as expected.

Cant say they were my most precise shots as it was a VERY windy day, but I have to admit Im very pleased with the result, 8$ bucking+5 minutes of work, instant range improvement.

My setup is, to be precise:

ICS Sportline M4, Internally stock

Guarder 6.02mm TBB, 300mm long

SCS nub

A+ 60 degree

Devil Bio BBs 0.28g

• 3 weeks later...

I just got one of these to replace my XDM's hop rubber. I also polished the inner barrel (the finish on the WE barrel was just shocking!) and added this to the gun, I can visually tell the BB is moving faster, however seems as I can only see up to about 25 - 30 meters in the dark I can't be positive of the accuracy or range. It does 'seem' to be more accurate, but I can't really tell for certain. I'll do some more range testing on Saturday where I can use the full length of my garden.

My AEG "soft" model seems to be affected by cold quite a bit.

For the game this weekend I have changed the nub from an scs to a stock ics and washed the bbs to see if they get more friction, hence spin and heat.

Wish me luck :lol:

Dazdarren: Is there a pic of the new bucking or some news? thanks :)

News news! I have just come from this mornings game aaaaaaaand, the problem persists, with the last setup I comented before, the problem is still there, the bucking doesnt affect the BB, maybe a little, but range is roughly 20m, quite straight to be honest, but thats not a feat at that range using 0.28gs.

I will think this over and have a look at the bucking itself and see if it is horribly dirty or has anydefect I didnt spot before. I had high hopes in this, but seems like it is dissapointing me, the rubber or my limited technical skills, that is :)

What boobie did was wrap heatshrink around the hop-up adjustment arm, which might solve your problems

Sorry, I dont quite understand that fix dazdarren... have you got a pic?

Now that I think a bit about it, 028g had this issue, but I managed to shoot some 0.20gs and they seemed to take the hop better, both were washed and from the same brand, devil bio BBs weird :S

Oh, you meant for the GBB version... I dont think It can be done with an AEG hop up though.

I had a look to the rubber yesterday, cleaned it and slightly sanded the "bump" hoping it will improve the "grip" on the bbs. It looked a bit dirty and had some silicone residue so I expect it to work better next time, although im putting it on hold for sometime

BTW: my two bucking had a slight concave shape, so are they a V2?

Thought about it when I installed a madbull nub, it is like a regular nub but "fatter" so it can make the bump protude more into the barrel window, but I decided to change it in the last minute for a stock ICS, much slimmer but I dont think it affected performance, the iCS with the hop almost at maximum blocked the bbs into the chamber so I dont think a thicker nub is the solution...

Have to keep thinking about it though