Rk 62-ish from an AK and very little money

renegadecow

The titles pretty much it: I'm making an AK47 (JG AK Tactical) as close to an Rk 62 with almost no budget to speak of. As for why, I have a friend with what I consider to be the sorriest AK in existence. He broke off the front sight, broke off the rear sight, lost some fiddly bits and replaced with folded up cardboard wrapped in duct tape, screwed on a rail on the rattly top cover and put on AR-15 flip up sights. I didn't take a picture so I wouldn't be reminded how bad it looked. Anyway, so he asked me to fix up the rail for him because the flip up sights weren't even sitting on the same plane and I downright said "no". The only way I would even touch his AK is if I fixed everything for him and b everything I meant turning it into anything but whatever the hell it is currently. Now don't get me wrong, I'm no elitist to judge people at how crappy their guns are. But I was moved by sheer pity at having to see his *suitcasey* AK every week and lamented on the fact that not one of his guns looked good. So generous me, I agreed to do it for cheap only that I will not promise a deadline and if he bugs me about it I'll just burn the damn thing. He liked Valmets so that's the direction I'm going. Lucky for him I'm currently stuck at my Swedish K project and slightly lightening the load on other things that I've had more free time to work on his gun. I've worked on it for two days now, with most of the progress done just today so I'll just lump them up below.

First was fixing the top cover rattle. His previous solution was jamming something underneath to wedge the cover in place, but ended up splitting the rear sight block (plastic). I've devised a better way by having a screw bolt the cover onto the gearbox. Rear sight is from an MP5K

IMG_2975.jpg

Not actually screwed to the gearbox, but to a nut sandwiched under the gearbox spine bracket.

IMG_2977.jpg

The front sight is also from an MP5K. I had it in my parts bin and only took minimal alteration to fit the AK barrel.

IMG_2983.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

For the stock I cut off the tabs on the stock bracket and jammed a heated PVC pipe around it.

IMG_2987.jpg

Then I squished another pipe to make the butt stock plate thingy.

IMG_2985.jpg

So for now it's looking like this:

IMG_2974.jpg

Things left to do are:

-stock details (cover plate, screws, fiddly bits)

-make gas tube

-make handguard

-make mag catch guard

-extend mag catch

-attach rear sight

-paint

I'm looking at finishing everything by next week, maybe earlier just so I could get this out of my hair all the quicker.

Interesting idea - though I really do want to see how *suitcasey* it looked before!

But I know how you feel. I have also succumbed to the "BUT IT LOOKS SO AWFUL LET ME FIX IT FOR YOU" pity. Though I've only ever put stock parts back on to bring things back to former glory, not completely reworked them.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN! And I've formatted my camera for safe measure, even though I didn't take pics of it anyways. Though if you bug me enough I might draw one for you on ms paint.

So now to new things, made most of the handguard. Still needs the two humps at the bottom, end caps, and vent holes.

IMG_2996.jpg

Needs obvious staples and stitching, and two bolts coming out ether side of the gas block, then stencil "Franky" on the side.

mmmm, reminds me of the time I had surgical staples in my skull... dont stand up quickly under a cranes lift hook people!

No, that is obviously shovel. XD

Somehow I read that in Russian accent.

Anyway, it's nothing compared to me trying to make a $3 toy look more like the pistol from "Blade Runner". But at least I had a reason to finally buy myself a dremel.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived