A quick review on Madbull RED Tracer BB`s .12g

Ive recently got hold of some of these from the very nice chaps at airsoft armouries..

The weight is next to nothing, so the fly all over the place, Which is great as im going to put them in a support weapon.

Last night we fired 2,000 through a standard Mauri AK47 with a high cap and Marui Tracer Unit

Not one single misfeed. the quality of the BB is Very good 10 out of 10.

And with a tracer unit they Glow very well indeed.

I tried a couple of magazine using a M4 and a G+P UV Tracer m16 magazine, and I could barley see them. (blaster green BBs worked ok though)

So id say with a flash type tracer unit buy some now.

If you use tracer mags, stick with green.

I will post and update when ive done a Ultra bright LED Hop-up mod tonight.

Heres some pictures of the test. 1 and 3 second exposures taken at twilight.

Top picture shows red and green at the same time.

second picture shows the tracers shooting IN TO A STRONG WIND, dispersion isnt too bad when its not windy

Hope this is of use to everyone

7801117808_26f5334a63_b.jpg

7801121456_4d04e09e3b_b.jpg

7801126852_46816aec2f_b.jpg

7801129712_89861239c0_b.jpg

G&P tracer mags are pretty rubbish so no surprises that they didn't work too well. They did advertise a mixed pot of blue/green/red madbull tracer bbs ages ago but as of yet not seen anywhere stocking.

Good news about Madbull finally getting the .2 weight to the market, just wish they would hurry up on the .25s I'll just have to stick with Blaster .25 tracers till someone releases the .25g red tracers.

Can't wait till they get to shops over here, hope they will release more and more different colours in .20, can't wait to do rainbow arrangement full auto at night... might take a while to load, and would probably annoy everyone in milsim games by shooting streams of unicorn at people.

Edited by blobface

G&P tracer mags are pretty rubbish so no surprises that they didn't work too well. They did advertise a mixed pot of blue/green/red madbull tracer bbs ages ago but as of yet not seen anywhere stocking.

Good news about Madbull finally getting the .2 weight to the market, just wish they would hurry up on the .25s I'll just have to stick with Blaster .25 tracers till someone releases the .25g red tracers.

I would say that it's also a side effect of red tracer rounds being less affected by UV light for illumination than green ones are. If I recall, I found the red tracer rounds light up better with green light. I was playing around with a UV laser pointer and a green laser pointer, and the green laser lit up the red ones much better. On the other hand, the green tracers were illuminated by UV much better, and I think were unaffected by the green laser. It's also possible the red ones might work best with another wavelength somewhere between green and UV. Though, since the TM tracer unit uses a flash bulb, it gives a wide spectrum of light (much more so than an LED that is emitting mostly in a limited range of wavelengths), it will likely illuminate most colors fine.

I thought Redwolf used to stock the multicolored sets, but maybe it was just the solid packs of colors. As for heavier red ones, Madbull is late to the party. Matrix (Evike's in-house brand here in the States) has been carrying red .25g tracers for awhile now (over a year now, and the red .20s have apparently been on Evike's site since the end of 2009, long before Madbull's .20g reds)... http://www.evike.com/index.php?cPath=27_529 Shipping of BBs to the UK I'd imagine could be costly...

redtracers.jpg

Can't wait till they get to shops over here, hope they will release more and more different colours in .20, can't wait to do rainbow arrangement full auto at night... might take a while to load, and would probably annoy everyone in milsim games by shooting streams of unicorn at people.

Well, for .20g, you have your typical green ones, then there are the Excel orange ones (which are more like a yellowish orange when fired), and then red ones. Other than that, I don't think there are any other colors available. You could just use it as a distraction tactic. Everyone will be focused on you that they'll just forget anything else is happening. Consistent trajectory for that could be a pain, though, since the Excel orange tracers were much smaller on average than most other .20g tracers (other than the Excel green ones). I had to go look it up, but last time I measured, Excel tracers were coming around 5.81-5.91mm, and green ones from other brands are more like 5.92-5.96mm. It might not make much of a difference though.

The red madbull tracers and green blaster tracers all worked great at the event last night. there wasnt much wind, and i was hit by the red ones on two occasions, even though they were .12g bbs they still had a good thwack when they hit me at 40 metres range.

the lack of wid last night, meant they were pretty accurate.

shipping from the US puts massive cost on an order, and we end up paying import tax as well as the shipping costs drive it over the tax threshold.

Thanks for all the Information on the U.S made Tracers yee245, very good reading, especially on the external diamiter. :)

we can buy the stuff in from Denmark, part of the Euro union, so no import tax, how they get them in from hong kong at a good price im not sure, maybe their import taxes are less.

looking into it, i may give them a call later tommorrow and see what the shipping costs are,

Edited by Joseph Porta

This is somewhat off topic but I don't really want to start a new thread asking this, does anyone know why normal green tracer BBs can't be lit up by laser? I've tried both red laser and green laser, shining directly at a bottle of BB, none of them light up, and I haven't got access to a blue laser I can't test that one out, but by process of elimination that seems to be the only thing left, anyone knows the science behind glow in the dark material?

ive found that lighting tracer BB`s with leds only lights ONE half, so when the hop spins the BB, its duller than it should be.

I think a laser would only light one spot or one half of a BB, as well.

the Flash bulb tracer units are the best as the flash lights the whole tube and gets all the BB, also the BB is spinning as it passes through the unit.

LEDS do work, just not as well as flash bulbs.

I am going to try lasers as well , just to see how it works, maybe a laser in a silencer, with a mirror at 45 degrees to shine the beam into the BB as it passes maybe?

I am going to try lasers as well , just to see how it works, maybe a laser in a silencer, with a mirror at 45 degrees to shine the beam into the BB as it passes maybe?

That's basically why I tried shining my laser at the BBs thinking what potential it might bring, but unfortunately neither red or green laser lit up the green BBs at all, I guess I'll have to find that old ps3 of mine and see if I can extract the bluray diode, I was thinking we might not even need to mirror it, if we manage to shine a laser into the barrel from an angle, the shiny surface of the inner barrel will do all the work at lighting the BB, but until I test out blue laser, so far the other two colours don't work at all.

This is somewhat off topic but I don't really want to start a new thread asking this, does anyone know why normal green tracer BBs can't be lit up by laser? I've tried both red laser and green laser, shining directly at a bottle of BB, none of them light up, and I haven't got access to a blue laser I can't test that one out, but by process of elimination that seems to be the only thing left, anyone knows the science behind glow in the dark material?

I suspect the answer to your question is down to light frequency. I have recently been tinkering with some luminous powders / pigments from a US company called Glow Inc http://glowinc.com/ which I got years ago for something else but have found new purpose for making iron sights glow in the dark. These pigment powders use treated zinc sulphide phosphours which is best stimulated, like fluorescent paints, by ultra violet light. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminous_paint). I bought a cheapy UV pen torch from Maplins and also a couple of UV LEDs and some even cheaper Rolson LED torches which I swapped the white LEDs out for the UV ones. These stimulate the phosphor pigments a treat. I would be surprised if the various tracer BBs are using a different material to get their glow. What I suspect is happening is the following:

• White light from incandescent sources emit a broad spectrum of light frequencies which extend in to the IR and UV ends of the spectrum. Far enough to stimulate the pigments but not in huge amounts at the UV end.(Excepting Quartz Halogen Dichroic lamps which often come with UV filters over the front if they are to be used in displays or to light areas where people will be lit)
  • White light from fluorescent lamps use mercury vapour to emit UV inside a tube lined with a white phosphour so there will be UV there too.
  • Some White LEDs are actually UV LEDs with a white phosphor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode#White_light) so will give out UV.
  • Flashguns give off a high intensity and broad frequency spectrum of light including in to the UV especially if unfiltered (http://people.ds.cam.ac.uk/mhe1000/musphoto/flashphoto.htm)

UV is, very roughly, in the 100nm to 400nm wavelength range

Blue light is 450nm ish

Green light is 500nm ish

Red light is 700nm ish

Infra Red light is 1000nm to 1mm ish

(Ref http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Electromagnetic-Spectrum.png)

So the Red and Green lasers, which will be outputting a coherent beam of a specific frequency (it is probably on the safety label of the laser somewhere), are not putting out light in the right range to stimulate the pigments to get them to emit light.

You may well have more luck with a blue laser but don't be surprised if that doesn't work either. A CD player laser wont be any use as they are IR lasers if I remember right. They moved from IR to Blue lasers for optical disks because the much shorter wavelength of blue light meant you could read smaller pits in the disk surface and therefore store more data in the same space. I would imagine that a UV laser would be best for the job but this is with the very serious caveat that such a thing could be a sure fire way to damage eyes and skin it being invisible and coherent and powerful and concentrated and all!

The other thing to try might be to get surface mount UV LEDS (If they are available, I haven't looked) and replace the white LEDs on the hop or Magazine tracer devices with them. They may be more effective.

I have just tried my little UV torch and a similar sized white LED torch on some Blaster 0.25 and G&G 0.25 Tracer BBs I bought over the weekend. The UV torch is several orders of magnitude more effective than the white LED.

Hope this is useful.

Mike 8-{>

Edited by Mike 8-{>

A bit more research shows that my caveat re UV lasers is equally applicable to UV LEDs so please be really careful.

• Dont look in to UV LEDs or any UV light source.
  • Dont shine UV LEDs or any UV light sources on your skin.
  • If you build them in to something make sure you, or anyone else using the something, wont be exposed to any UV leaking out of anywhere.

Edited by Mike 8-{>
  • 7 months later...