Army's R29 Colt Gold Cup VS. TM Based HurricanE Kimber TEII

hwagan, I think he was asking about duster because it says he's from Japan, so they pretty much can only get 134A

Ahhhh I didn't realise that was all that was available; Still, I'd imagine with a lighter recoil spring it'll run a lot better; Obviously you won't quite have as snappy an action, but I'm pretty confident the recoil spring could lose 10-20% of it's strength to allow a more efficient use of 134a. Ideally though, it's a man-gas gun ;)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you try a 60-75% 134a & 40-25% green gas (or propane) mix? As in literally switch between 134a and green gas (or propane) as you fill it.

I'm asking this because I do know where to buy a gas that is at least 2x as powerful as 134a, but not as powerful as green.

No problem man, I'll do a test this evening - My mags are currently charged with green, so I'll deplete 40% (As accurately as I can) and refill with 134a; I'll let you know the results tonight!

Edited by hwagan

If you have Ultra gas just crack that it, it sits about in the middle, just a bit closer to the output of Green gas.

If it is anything like my TM's if you are getting 230 on 134a and 290 on Green expect about 270 on it. With that kind of mix about 260-270 certianly.

Should be enough to cycle as usual.

'FireKnife'

Apologies for the delay in updating; Mixing green gas and 134A doesn't really work; Basically, the shots are really inconsistent. One may be full powered, another underpowered, etc etc. I imagine this is due to the differing pressures of the 2 gases in the magazine, but I couldn't get any accurate data from the test unfortunately.

Also, taken some pictures of the internals after fitting a WE chrome hammer; I'll get those uploaded when I get a chance this afternoon.

I took it to a full skirmish on Sunday, and used it exclusively at a pistol's only game on Monday - This thing is absolutely awesome. I was getting around 18 full powered shots to a mag, which isn't half bad for a kitted TM based 1911. The finish is holding up nicely despite the use of an ACM Serpa, and it's running just as smoothly as it has been. I also had access to an old WE Punisher 1911, where the hammer came from. I nicked the recoil spring and hammer spring from it, and the whole action is now even snappier than it was before; Not to say it wasn't awesome the way it was, but it's now even more awesome. Still thoroughly impressed.

Oddly, however, I've decided it's not the pistol for me. At the pistols only game, whilst it performed fantastically and I had no trouble scoring plenty of kills, I've really finally just accepted that without an ugly Co2 magazine, the TM 1911 design just doesn't support a metal kit with any degree of practicality. Whilst 18 rounds may be enough for some, and wasn't far off for me, I miss my old TM Foliage warrior. This IS as good as any metal kitted TM pistol I've seen. However, I think I'll be putting it up for sale for a more practical skirmishing gun, as I use my pistol way more than most folks.

Essentially, if you don't mind the low gas capacity of the 1911 mags and only use your sidearm as anyone normally would, it's amazing. However, I use my pistol as a primary half the time and the ability to get 26 shots out of a TM warrior is something I require far too badly to be able to keep this thing.

Damn you, physics. Damn you to hell.

I have done yeah, and they definitely work better - Thing is, I'm not a fan of the looks or the size of them when it comes to carting them around... Gotta say, the Foliage Warrior was a hell of a skirmish gun despite the lightness and lack of metal, and I quite liked the looks, hence considering another one. Plus, winter is coming and all, and I can't see the Army being much use for more than 5 shots or so!

Essentially, if you don't mind the low gas capacity of the 1911 mags and only use your sidearm as anyone normally would, it's amazing. However, I use my pistol as a primary half the time and the ability to get 26 shots out of a TM warrior is something I require far too badly to be able to keep this thing.

Sounds like my world. For all the metal kitted goodness sometimes you just get better results from a plastic toy gun that spits bbs further than some can see :P

Still if you are selling on the Gold Cup, hmmm :P

'FireKnife'

Sounds like my world. For all the metal kitted goodness sometimes you just get better results from a plastic toy gun that spits bbs further than some can see :P

Still if you are selling on the Gold Cup, hmmm :P

'FireKnife'

See it wasn't the range or accuracy or anything; It slings a BB basically just like a TM does, it's just the gas efficiency on any kitted TM I'm not fond of. Plus, there's the fact that the plastic slide makes the thing cycle like a demon, which is always nice - I mean the R29 double taps nicely, but in the time it takes to fire two shots I can triple tap with my old foliage warrior :P

Hey, now I'm not spending all my money on pointless 'groceries', I'm not so desperate for the cash! :P

Still not 100% if I'm going to sell it, but really I'll have to to fund a slightly more gas efficient pistol.. I'm kinda torn though, because it really is an awesome piece, it's just not quite as skirmish practical as I'd like it to be. I hate decisions.

You might want to take a look at the KJW MEU as they can use CO2 and the magazine wells are cut so that you can use either style magazine (green gas/propane or CO2). Your Gold Cup slide group just might slide right on the KJW frame and you'd be good to go.

Recently, I was looking to make a all metal Commander sized 1911 and took a KJW 1911A1 frame, added all the internals from my TM Desert Warrior (stuck with the KJW inner frame as slide rails are more supportive of the slide) and added a WE 4.3 metal slide (using the TM's barrel group and recoil spring guide). Everything fit really nice with zero modifications and the pistol shoots pretty sweet.

You may have the same luck using that KJW frame.

Good to hear. :P

Think about it this way, what is more important to you, 'oh shiny' or 'dodge this fluffers'?

When you decide you will know to sell it or not :P

'FireKnife'

I'm definitely going with the FW for a skirmishing sidearm, it's just whether or not I can afford to keep this as well, as I really would like too!

You might want to take a look at the KJW MEU as they can use CO2 and the magazine wells are cut so that you can use either style magazine (green gas/propane or CO2). Your Gold Cup slide group just might slide right on the KJW frame and you'd be good to go.

Recently, I was looking to make a all metal Commander sized 1911 and took a KJW 1911A1 frame, added all the internals from my TM Desert Warrior (stuck with the KJW inner frame as slide rails are more supportive of the slide) and added a WE 4.3 metal slide (using the TM's barrel group and recoil spring guide). Everything fit really nice with zero modifications and the pistol shoots pretty sweet.

You may have the same luck using that KJW frame.

See, I had a KJW 1911A1 not long ago; Frankly, I was appalled with it. I'm sure I got a lemon, but I got 4-5 shots out of the green gas mag, and each one was a huge puff of vapour; I'm sure it was probably a lemon, but I've also heard bad things about the longevity of the Co2 mag seals. There's also the killer issue - I personally am unwilling to have a mag bumper that ugly, even if they are very practical! An ABS gun with a normal mag I can handle, a giant Co2 bumper on the bottom, I really can't! ;)

Silly question, how do you rate this Army against the HK3 PX4 you owned sometime ago?

I'd say easily on a par, quality wise - The finish if anything seems to be a little harder wearing, but obviously the PX4 has the benefit of a larger gas reservoir, so makes a slightly more practical skirmishing piece. Other than that though, I'd happily buy the 3PX4 over the TM every single time.

So you read multiple bad reviews of this product and then from the one that is good you decided to buy two ?

That did strike me as a little odd 'n all... Saying that, I'm yet to find a hugely bad review of it, I think the previous one on Arnie's was just not *quite* as favourable as mine. Saying that, my R29 turned out to be flawlessly awesome; That doesn't mean every single one out the factory will be the same story of course.

I'd say easily on a par, quality wise - The finish if anything seems to be a little harder wearing, but obviously the PX4 has the benefit of a larger gas reservoir, so makes a slightly more practical skirmishing piece. Other than that though, I'd happily buy the 3PX4 over the TM every single time.

Thanks mate! but performance wise, has the PX4 better range/precision over the Army?

Great comparison BTW

No problemo - When it comes to range and accuracy, they're basically impossible to separate; Both guns could have done with a slightly better stock bucking, but both guns would happily send a .3 to a range comparable to the TM after a slight bend on the leaf spring. The 1911 clocked in maybe 15FPS higher than the PX4, but they were both capable of man-sized targets on a good day at 45-50 meters with a .3 and a little minor tweaking (Bending the leaf spring down slightly and cleaning the barrel and hop being the minor tweaking required). The PX4 stayed in stock form, but I fitted an AIP Bucking and a Stock TM 5.1 inner barrel in the 1911, which gave it a few extra meters of effective range.