Army's R29 Colt Gold Cup VS. TM Based HurricanE Kimber TEII

So baited by Hwagan's review, I recently bought one of these as a loaner gun for forcing introducing my lady into airsoft, seeing as the ergonomics of a 1911 are quite easy to get accustomed to. After a long wait of about 2 weeks, my gun finally came, and while I was impressed with the finish, metal, and recoil, there were a few problems that needed to be addressed right off the bat.

Firstly, there was the problem with the mag not being able to slide in correctly, as many have mentioned. This really isn't problem so much as an inconvenience, but I thought I might mention it regardless; easily fixable with a little sanding inside the back and front from the mag well, right at the entrance.

Another more pressing problem was the chamber/outer barrel assembly...

Now, this is my first 1911 styled pistol, save the stupid WE Hicapa or the brilliant TM Detonics, but those have different outer barrels, using a bushing less design. But on the Army R29, I noticed that the chamber is smaller compared to the Hicapa or Detonics, giving the illusion that gun's slide is tall and out of proportion. Now, this is purely a cosmetic error, one would think; however, unfortunately this isn't the case. Because the chamber is small, whenever the barrel recoils between shots, the chamber (out barrel assembly) has the tendency to get caught in between the nozzle assembly and slide. Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed, but this is easily rectified.

You will need to disable the outer barrel recoil function. It took me a bit of time to notice that chamber was the cause of the problem, but a helpful Thai airsoft review of this gun saved me some time.

No english, but you can get a general idea of what he's doing (skip to the middle of the video to see the fix).

You want to wrap tape (electrical or teflon) around the end of the hopup unit where it connects to the inner barrel so that it can act as spacer for the outer barrel, keeping it fixed with the inner.

I also noticed that I am unable to get a full mags worth of shots. I'm not too sure if this is just due to the metal slide or inefficient seal between the mag and the nozzle assembly, but the gun shoots decently crisp and quick.

Apart from these first impressions, I have yet to experience anymore trouble, though I would love to get a new, more accurate outer barrel.

If anyone has a TM 1911 and this gun, could you check to see if the outer barrel fits with the R29 slide?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, so please excuse me for the double post, but I thought I should mention something. After fiddling with the gun countless of times, I tried to love it even with some of the faults that it had from the previously mentioned leaky magazines to the slide/chamber fitment issue.

Nevertheless, with a word of warning I think its best to tell others to look for something different if they were eying this gun.

My slide cracked.

Mine may have been a lemon or a victim of some careless shipment handling (as the store I ordered from, Asia Airsoft did not even package it with a box, but rather packed the disassembled slide and frame in bubble wrap) but I regret buying the gun, where I could have bought the HK3P PX4 instead.

I'm sure that if the slide was in perfect order and the magazine was leak free, this gun would be a decent replica to skirmish with and be thrown around, but I simply was unlucky.

Oh well, at least the gun didn't cost me a kidney. At any rate the frame is salvageable, ready to mate with my TM Detonics slide.

Yikes, AsiaAirsoft AKA WarIdiot? They're the ones that taped an orange M4 flash hider to my Glock, and tried to ship it to just my name and state. Then did it again with my next Glock after I emailed them about it.

How does the r29 compare to the ultra ultra rubbish army kimber warrior, cant be to much better IMO.

Darn, this thread was making me kinda re-want that Desert Warrior. Maybe I'll get an HK3 XDM.

• 2 months later...