What's the best material?

GhostPredator

The external materials don't really matter, as long as it can withstand being bashed into things (walls, trees and such). I would go with ABS or steel. If you want your gun to look and feel as realistic as possible, you should try to find out what the real steel one is made of (usually steel). As for the internals, make sure they are made out of steel, or at least a strong, durable metal. Never EVER buy a gun with plastic internals. Oh, and this post is in the wrong section of the forums.

• 4 months later...

Hey, guys! I have a couple of questions about the materials used in softgun. What is defined as good materiel? f.eks steel, ABS Plastic, poly...... Personal I use now a softgun wich is has parts made of steel... And walking around with a single shot pistol is really hard.

Carbon nanotubes or single crystal spun diamond monofilament for a general material....though Metal Matrix Composites would offer a significant cost saving with better net-shape formation in a productionized environment if you're willing to swallow the weight penalty.

For low expansion co-effecient, Invar.

For thermal resistance Stellite or one of the similar Nickel alloys.

For microwave frequency resonation or conduction, I'd reccomend either a Neodymium Titanate/Calcium Aluminate or Barium Tantalate intermetallic/ceramic as suits the relative permativity of the network in question

For edge retention and toughness, any of the high retained Austenite 'supersteels' will do if heat-treated correctly- VG10 or CPM S30V are a good start point, though some favour San Mai III.

For against the skin- Cotton, Egyptian for preference with a nice high thread count. ;)

As to airsoft kit- Choose a known manufacturer from a reputable dealer and forget if it's ABS plastic or Mazak/Zamak or Aluminium Alloy. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Always with the downsides.

There was a company in the 90s that made a Beryllium framed mountain bike - possibly for publicity, I can't remember,

Oh, you find it in various applications still- particularly in aerospace..... But usually with a nice, thick conversion coating preventing the potential creation of the unpleasant Oxide component.

Always with the downsides.

There was a company in the 90s that made a Beryllium framed mountain bike - possibly for publicity, I can't remember,

In the 90s there was a bike boom and guys were mining the periodic table/NASA menu for a new miracle material that would set them apart. This was before the suspension boom and your only choice of a bike was a nice hardtail or a nicer hardtail. The nicest was Ti and since that supply and production was locked up by established companies the new guys had to do something else to set themselves apart. There were a bunch of miracle steels, Beryllium, Carbon Fibre, Thermoplastic, Russian Titanium, Chinese Titanium, Inconel, the whole Aluminum series and more. If it was part of a plane and someone could get some leftover tubes they'd make it into a bike.

Archived