Well Vz 61 Skorpion AEP

Link: http://www.acmgear.com/well-vz61-scorpion-style-machine-pistol-p-1167.html

P1010003.jpg

According to some, the Chezk Skorpion is the shortest production SMG in the world. First build in 1959, this extremely handable weapon was originally designed for police, special forces and as a side arm for vehicle crew, like tankers or chopper pilots. With a size of just 27 cms when folded ( inches) and 52 cms ( inches) with the stock extended, just 1,1 kilos in weight (the airsoft version) you can see how it became so popular, as it is not only small, comfortable and concealable, but it packs quite a punch.

Let’s take a look at the airsoft version, in the form of this Marui AEP clone made by Well. For those who have never heard the term “AEP”: it’s an AEG, but with a much smaller gearbox, motor, spring and battery. I got it at acmgear.com for just 67$. So cheaper than most GBBPs.

Like Well or Galaxy SMGs, the Skorpion comes in a nice carboard box that securely holds everything that is included with the gun: the AEP itself, the special 7.4 V battery and battery charger, 2 magazines (banana type mid-cap and a drum mag), BB loader, cleaning rod and instruction manual.

P1010001.jpg

Like most Well SMGs, the Skorpion is made of a high density polymer that very much resembles metal. Because it largely follows the original steel-sheet construction, this gun is sturdy as hell, no creaks whatsoever. Even the weak looking (metal) wire stock is stronger than some full-size AKs I have had. I would have preferred the grip to have a Bakelite or simulated wood look to it, but I will probably paint it later on.

Balance is very good (remember the gun only weighs a little over 1 kilogram = 2 pounds), making this a very wieldable primary for CQB and mid-range skirmishes. Because of its small size and weight, it’s also a good idea to carry this gun as a secondary: keep in mind that it will give you a much better performance, full auto capability, greater range, better accuracy, etc. than almost any gas blowback pistol that we carry around in games. If you live in cold environments and sometimes have trouble with gas guns, an AEP is the obvious choice.

The Skorpion includes a detachable front bottom rail (20 mm) to mount grips, flashlights, etc. I immediately took it off, cause I was going for the classic look, but decided to try it with an Element M3X flashlight… I must confess I love the look.

P1010005.jpg

Getting this gun to go is very easy: first load your battery following the instructions found in the guide. Insert the battery in the grip, by previously turning the prongs on the grip plate to take it out. If the battery doesn’t come right off when you want to take it out again, just lightly tap it onto your palm and it will fall right off.

P1010002.jpg

The banana or stick magazine is a mid-cap, nothing special to it; it holds 60 rounds. The drum mag is a wind up hi-cap and holds 370 BBs. Turn the wheel on the front of it to load the spring. Should it fail to load, open it up and tighten the screws, that should do the trick.

P1010004.jpg

The lever over your thumb is the fire selector: middle position is safe, forward for auto and rear for semi. Little engravings mark these.

To adjust the hop up, pull on either charging handle (or both at the same time). My Skorpion must have a very big hop up nub, as a slight turn will already give the BB enough backspin, any more and it’s over-hopped.

P1010007.jpg

Note that, because AEPs have significantly slower muzzle velocities, the hop up is much more important, so they can achieve greater distances: with 260 FPS, my scorpion is able to hit a human sized target at 30 meters (100 feet), in a perfectly straight flight. If marui could turn their MP7 and Skorpion hop ups into AEG hops, I bet they would surpass the performance of the Marui M14.

ROF is 650 rounds per minute and the accuracy is very decent, once you find the perfect hop up setting and the best BB weight for your own gun (KSC 0,23 grams, in my case). Clean the barrel and experiment until you find your golden spot.

FPS and ROF have been measured using KSC 0,20 g BBs and a Big Dragon chrono. Hop up disengaged.

• Like 1

Pretty nice review, plastic or metal? I'm betting plastic...

I may pick up two of these.

Like most Well SMGs, the Skorpion is made of a high density polymer that very much resembles metal. Because it largely follows the original steel-sheet construction, this gun is sturdy as hell, no creaks whatsoever. Even the weak looking (metal) wire stock is stronger than some full-size AKs I have had. I would have preferred the grip to have a Bakelite or simulated wood look to it, but I will probably paint it later on.

Looks like that was already answered :P

• 3 weeks later...

I have owned and skirmished this gun since it was released, mine works fine still, but it has some flaws.

• The hop-up is not a great design in this gun, and will likely give trouble down the lines, with bb's double feeding, falling out the barrel etc as the bucking does not have a great collar portion, and the nub wears down quickly. I'm going to have a look at cutting up an aeg hop up bucking to fit the skorpion, to improve the hop and bb retention which is a major failing.
  • The gun can fail to feed, due to the feed nozzle not pressing into the magazine bb retainer wedge hard enough, by deforming the feed nozzle outwards a little you can get more positive engagement with the magazine and flawless feeding.
  • The battery will wear out some day, and as it is proprietary you may be stuck with it unless you can solder the connector to a li-po. The battery cover has a habit of getting knocked off the gun, and the battery falling out. So far my battery still works. The charger is also proprietary, if you cut off the connector you can attach it to a tamiya connector, and charge from your main smart charger.
  • It is also awkward to carry, as it doesn't suit a holster, I used the front map pouch on my vest but that is awkward to pull it out in a rush too, a dump pouch might do the trick.

Edited by MotoSam

Mine is fixed and back in action. It is a great lil gun and as the reviewer said, sturdy as heck on the outside. I even accidentally sat on the gun (left it in chair outside in the dark) and bent the stock. It did not break and bent right back into shape. Aside from my trigger spring popping out, its been flawless.

BTW, the JG version has a lever to keep the battery from moving. It wont move at all when attached.

Edited by supervepr

Just a 1-month update: this gun is awesome, get one!

All jokes aside, this truly is a great little pice of kit, if you take into account it's only an AEP. Dont expect it to shoot like an AEG, but than again I dont know any AEG the size of a large pistol. Great for CQB, as a side arm (superlight) and fun to shoot inside the house, BBs still bounce back sometimes, but not as dangerous as a 350 FPS AEG.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Is it stil

Just a 1-month update: this gun is awesome, get one!

All jokes aside, this truly is a great little pice of kit, if you take into account it's only an AEP. Dont expect it to shoot like an AEG, but than again I dont know any AEG the size of a large pistol. Great for CQB, as a side arm (superlight) and fun to shoot inside the house, BBs still bounce back sometimes, but not as dangerous as a 350 FPS AEG.

Still going strong? Considering this for a secondary.. Not interested in GBB pistols..

• 1 month later...

I do have two of these, great guns. I love using them in CQB, there small compact size allows me to squeeze through small gaps whilst still on aim with the minimum of fuss. Replacement parts are easy to get hold of, though upgrades are rarer now, but to be honest the upgrades have one fatal flaw anyway, they really suck the juice out of your battery very quickly. Improving the hop rubber is an easy fix, using an AEG hop rubber and a craft knife. Personally I got my self a couple of pistol 6.01 inner barrels, with marvellous results to range and accuracy, which does get me some funny looks considering their size and fps rating (about 250 fps)

Holsters are available for these, but may take a bit of searching for, I'll see if I can find the brand name for mine (I have a habit of cutting of the labels)

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the double post, but after so much time... I cant edit my last post.

So, pay day is almost here for me (i know, weird date) and I have decided to get me a skorpion and mod it to fit a small lipo battery, so, my question is:

Will a 7.4v 25c lipo damage the gun? it will be used as a backup "pistol" strictly in semi mode (field rules) and ocasionally as main gun in "backup gun only" games. For more information, the battery will be connected to the gun with micro deans

Thanks for the help