Where to buy mesh for a custom mask

Meathead316

Well, they probably won't argue with you on it.

I need to grab some myself for a Belgian gas mask I have. My 350 FPS AKM killed the lense during a test.

@Belgian people: Don't trust governemt issued gas masks in case of a chemical attack. The lenses are ###### and they will break and the gasses will come in through you eyes, noses, etc.

FYI. My IKEA mesh bin has a few holes in it from AEGs.

You need stamped steel mesh for eye pro, not a cheap substitute.

As it has been said before, try contacting Heroshark for where he gets it from. His goggles are superb.

To make things clear - Do NOT use mesh as eyepro. Mesh is generally fine for mouth guards etc, but as it's a woven material it is not super strong.

What you want is Stamped steel, with little circles cut out of it.

According to Heroshark's website, IIRC, he uses stamped steel with a 60% open area, and either 2mm or 3mm holes. Things to consider. If you email him he may give you the exact dimensions, but as he makes money off of it, I'd doubt it. Which isn't to say he's a bad guy, he just has an investment to protect. He would probably tell you what is not a good idea to use.

The choice of mesh stamped or woven is a funny one . Although my products use a stronger stamped steel ,there's plenty of useable mesh eye pro using weaker stamped steel and woven mesh they just need replacing more often. The most important thing is that it will not penetrate the product point blank at you fields highest limit in one shot . You'll also find woven mesh has higher risk of shattering due to the uneven surface .

I wouldn't use woven mesh if I had the choice, I have a pair of the old Sansei goggles with woven mesh as the eye pro, tbh it's pretty slimsy and even though the mesh has never taken a really up close hit they still have a couple of dents in (also on a side note, the way the mesh is held in to the frame is frighteningly non secure, don't buy the SWG3 mask kids!).

The stamped steel stuff is fine, can't see my heroshark goggles being broken by a BB any time soon (though they don't fit my face, might have to try a different style...)

Archived