Sledge's Shotgun (Borderlands)

Avenger96

So, everyone who has played Borderlands has probably seen the epicsauce gun the Sledge likes to point at people and use as a toothpick. I want to make something very similar utilizing 40MM grenades.

Picture for reference:

SledgesShotgunBorderlands.png

I don't want to include the toothpick, but I think the rest of it could be achieved fairly easily using wood for the stock and platis for the fiddly detail bits. My problem, however, is that I don't know how to make the firing mechanism, so could someone who's done it before help? Whatever I do, I'd like to have a dual firing pin for the top and bottom, with one a little short so it doesn't engage until right after the first one, firing both shots with one pull like in the game.

Thanks for reading!

As a person who has been playing borderlands recently and looking forward to borderlands 2 I agree with this :P.

In terms of firing, surely as it is a 10000% burst fire weapon all you need to do is make a trigger that presses both 40mm's just slightly one after the other (slightly curved so the second goes off a split second later).

Renegadecow should see this topic and add words of true wisdom.

Tsar, 90% of the shotties in the game are revolvers, but not this one. It's an over-under double barrel.

When I get this one done, it won't be identical to the one from the game, but it will be close enough to make Borderlands fans go "OMG is that Sledge's Shotgun???" I'm also reconsidering omitting the spike. I'll probably add it, but not sharp. I'm thinking a standard RIS for the top, and make custom sights. I can get dark red wood stain, and I know my way around a chunk of wood coming from a family of carpenters. The locking mechanism will be tricky, because the front will probably be fairly heavy even if I just use PVC for the barrels I can probably get sheets of kydex or similar plastic to mold around for the fiddly bits like the contours on the stock. Also, I've just realized that it may be hard to get a firing pin to the lower barrel, as it's nearly flush with the trigger. Also, Renegade Cow would be appreciated :P

I don't play that game so had to check out a vid.

:huh: It's a single barreled weapon with the chamber rotating like a revolver would only it does both shots in rapid succession like an automatic. I could only think of two ways to pull it off: electronically assisted or pre-wound mechanism. Either way it's pretty bananas.

If you ask me it looks like it was designed by a guy who isn't all that familiar with firearms. It looks cool, but it has so many conflicting elements that getting it to work for real will be a real mess. Since you're not out to make an exact replica starting by using 40mm grenades instead of shotshells, making it into a simple O/U layout with a single successive trigger will be a whole lot easier not to mention practical. Then embellish it by having the lever/hand guard work as a breech lock like on a T/C Contender.

My 2 cents would be to use the Madbull Tanaka grenade shells, using 2 barrels (the lower being concealed to keep with the look) and a 3 stage trigger press where step one is the first shell, step two is the second shell, and step three would be the revolving aspect.

I'd think you'd set it up so when you load it you twist it to build up spring tension, and that the end of the trigger pull releases the spring and allows it to revolve.

If you do it like this the only airsoft type component you would need would be the inner barrels, giving you lots of leeway on your design and requiring you to take minimal design factors into account.

The only negative would be that the "magazine" would only rotate after your shots have fired instead of in the middle and after, but you could always make your trigger add in another rotation release after the first shot is fired. This would allow you to stick with the original single barrel as well.

The whole project sounds like it would be tons of fun to work on, so let me know if my ideas sound decent and maybe I can help some more.

The plan is to have a pre wound spring, with a thumb activated sliding stop on the left side of the receiver to keep it in place until your ready. Steps:

Load shells and twist chamber

Fire top barrel, activate the sliding stop with your thumb.

Cylinder spins to another stop at the top of the receiver, with the bottom shell behind the barrel and in front of the firing pin.

If this doesn't work out, I'll probably do what notrabies said, and hide the second barrel in the handguard that utilizes a smaller shell, probably one of those "Mad Max" shotgun shells.

Actually I've realized you can do this super simple if you're willing to give up the 2 shot burst. Make it a simple 2 stage trigger where the first stage fires and second stage releases the cylinder to spin 180.

Just fire it twice quickly and you'll have a very simple and reliable mechanism.

For shells I'd probably do the goblin paintball shells with the airsoft inserts, 12 bb's per shot is pretty appetizing: http://goblinpaintball.com/GoblinStore

The reason I prefer 40MM is because of the stupid amount of .12, .20, .25 and .30s I can spew into a room on someone all at once.

Don't forget the looks on people's faces when you get it out in the safe zone, and of course there's the grin factor! :D

There was a side-by-side 40mm launcher in AI magazine a while ago, might be worth looking that up.

Those little Goblin "Deuce" pistols don't look bad themselves. Not realistic, but very cool.

The reason I prefer 40MM is because of the stupid amount of .12, .20, .25 and .30s I can spew into a room on someone all at once.

Fair enough, but my concern would be the forces in rotating the chamber loaded up with 2 40mms. Since you're rotating on such a small axis with heavy weights, and at 180 degrees each time, I feel like you might end up with a destructive amount of torque that could rip apart your mechanism, if not just causing alignment issues.

Archived