Special Forces Civilian/PMC look? Pt.1

Icemaster109

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Samm that picture looks more like an insurgent than a contractor.

I'll have to get the wife to take some picks in my contractor/merc gear...she thinks i look more scarey than when i wear my BDU's as other have said before you need:

To be at least over 26

To have stuble or some facial hair

To have unruley hair.... a little greasy

The 20 yard stare

To probably weigh more than the gear you are carrying

To be at least over 5 foot

If you want to see a perfect image of an asian contractor the best guy to look at was that unfortunate Japanese guy that died in Irag a few weeks ago.

one thing you should also remember is that a lot of the SF chaps who might have to be dealing on a regular basis with the locals (and not just shooting at them either), grow their facial hair long because, in countries like afghanistan, for eg (and this is something that pre-dates the taliban by a good few centuries) facial hair is a sign of masculinity and authority. you have to be pretty bloody hardcore to be taken seriously by tribal leaders if you've not got a beard- bit like turning up to a firefight without your trousers.

Obviously some don't grow their beards, others can't, but its normally considered a good thing to do, that hurts you not at all but benefits your standing immensely.

however, for the basic Civcon CP look, where you're not very likely going to have to go talk to the village elders or religious leaders, then you can look how you want- trick is is not to look like you've still got soap behind your ears still, so a nice fresh marine-style flat-top is going to make you look like you've just stepped off the boat, unless you've got the physical and mental presence to back it up.

If not (and I reckon most, if not all of us here are in this position) then looking fresh-faced with pressed levi's isn't going to win you any prizes.

again, find a mud puddle and roll in it, get some dirt on your face and get your hair nice and messy, then you'll at least look like you've just come back from patrolling the mean streets.

and ditto what XrazorX said- the less stuff the better, really- utilitarian and assembled on the hoof is the order of the day :)

Tip for students; To replicate the hard@rsed angry look just imagine you're sitting for an exam subject you're not fond of for the last 3 hours getting ticked off on the stupidity of whoever set the questions.

If you want the thousand yard stare now imagine how it feels walking out having failed said exam :)

one thing that most people will forget when making their "look" is that you need to blend in, if you ever see them in real life, even when they are patroling military overt style they still blend in. they don't stand out of the crowd. they would walk pass but you wouldn't remember they had.

most impressions i have seen they have far too much cr@p hanging off them to blend in. they look too military.

if you wear too much most of what you will be carrying is just needless junk. you honestly dont need that much.

the time you spend patroling is very small. most of the time you will be in a buliding or car. you need to be able to move quickly in your gear. A CP teams aim is to extract the principle as quickly as possible if things go loud. they are not there to blast everyone and everything that comes into sight.

as for suppressors they are needless baggage. what Seal sniper said is true, but they make a weapon too cumbersom in tight places. and make debussing from a car a right pain no doubt.

most people won't ever get the right look as Crazy harry has said. All the operators have had more experience than you have had packed lunches. the reason they all look so intense is because its flipping hard work scanning a crowd of 100 people for threats.

Wow, what a discussion about whatz most realistic.

Seems some of us have forgotten we all (at least most of us) are just wannabees anyway.

Okey, here's my current Summer Loadout 2005 (left).

Just the basic essentials. No bulky nonsense, but of course moisture transporting and quick drying fabrics from Arcteryx, Karrimor and Columbia :D.

Need to defend kevinnirvana though. He's a real geardo with always the best stuff around here, but is also a good team player.

gallery_133_71_96801.jpg

Most people here are commenting on what CIVCON's should where, but how do we really know ? , its not like theres a dress code for these guys, they wear what they like and what works. So to do a good impression, just wear what works.

edit

After the summer I am SO doing a Civcon impression, there just so cool.

I thought they weren't allowed to wear camo...

I don't think that photo was taken in the sandbox mate.....

Most people here are commenting on what CIVCON's should where, but how do we really know ? , its not like theres a dress code for these guys, they wear what they like and what works. So to do a good impression, just wear what works.

edit

After the summer I am SO doing a Civcon impression, there just so cool.

Nope there's no dress code, you just wear what works. However when a company like Dynacorp offers you a job they send you a list of suggested clothing ect. i still have mine somewhere and will post it up.

Hi xRAZERx,

Yeah, my geardo friend is always a bit overloaded, but I enjoy to look at him and think hehe, you sweat and I relax in my lightweight moisture wicking loadout.

I know I am not a moderator, but may I suggest to better not post "real world" photos here as we don't "discuss" nor "advocate" real arms and related stuff.

In these times of hysteric legislators, that could be very helpful.

Anyway, very nice pics xRAZERx :).

In reply to Vostok:

ARGH!

how many times?

look, we're not commenting on what Civcons should wear, but on what people who wish to do an accurate and convincing impression of a civcon should wear.

Now, as people doing the impression are going to lack the "see you jimmeh" attitude, they've got to compensate with their gear.

This doesn't mean weigh yourself down with gucci gear. Civcons can if they want to, but as I've already said, civcons can wear pink frilly knickers on their head, and I'll still be crossing the street to avoid them.

we arn't civcons, so we have to give a good impression.

blimey, I had no idea this thread would turn into such hard work...

Hi xRAZERx,

Yeah, my geardo friend is always a bit overloaded, but I enjoy to look at him and think hehe, you sweat and I relax in my lightweight moisture wicking loadout.

I know I am not a moderator, but may I suggest to better not post "real world" photos here as we don't "discuss" nor "advocate" real arms and related stuff.

Anyway, very nice pics xRAZERx  :).

+1 on them sweating mate :lol:

I think my posting of some real world photos was justified so that people can compare their loadouts to proper ones without having to search. I'm sure the mods will edit it if they feel I was out of line.

Thought this might add some smiles to the thread, a good anti-truth, aka What not to wear: PMC Edition:

BLACKWATER FEVER

A common disease among IC working in Iraq, Afghanistan and various other 3rd world hellholes Blackwater Fever frequently attacks young men with only 1 war or enlistment under their belt, State Dept agents, Former LEOs, anyone associated with an Ambassadors detail and occasional posers. BKWF has many symptoms; if you have the following you may be infected:

-Large amount of primping, i.e. mousse in your hair despite the fact you live in a war zone.

-Your forearms break out in tattoos, often tribal or USMC related

-All your shirts are skintight "Under Armor" T-shirts

-Have used, currently using or consider using steroids

-Refer to yourself as a "Shooter" or "Operator for Blackwater"

-Look down upon all other PSD teams that are NOT on the Ambassadors Detail, to include other Blackwater employees.

-Grow a beard to blend in with the locals, even though you are a 6ft tall blonde with a "Death before Dishonor” tattoo.

-Think the Palace pool is a good place to pickup chicks

-Are arrogant and condescending to people with more experience, training and who make more money than you.

-Forget that doing a mission that has been performed in the past by Tier 1 assets does not make you a Tier 1 asset.

-Truly believe you look good in a Speedo

-Despite the fact there are laundry facilities available you insist on wearing a dirty brown T-shirt with your blood type in black magic marker to work.

-You wear a shmmagh as an ascot to fit in with the locals

-Because you are a "High Speed-Low Drag" PSD guy you think long hair and an unkempt beard looks professional.

-You are familiar with doing "high threat PSD with CAT team and Air assets".

-Look puzzled when someone refers to the pool as a "Sausage Fest"

-You carry a drop-leg holster, wear a Federal Agent Badge, flash bangs, 5 or more pistol mags, asp, handcuffs, surefire light, Leatherman, on your belt and a Gerber mark II strapped to the outside of your boot, in the embassy complex.

-Thursday night is your favorite night of the week.

-A drunken, naked, Englishman has ###### on the air vents of you trailer

-You have excellent kit.

-When your advance goes out to the Red Zone, Army MPs secure your perimeter.

-Believe by running Iraqis off the road you are winning their "hearts & minds".

-Despite earning a six-figure income you wear a filthy, ragged ball cap that has not ever been washed

-Your 9-man PSD team consists of 34 men, 6 armored SUVs, 2 Army Stryker vehicles, an MP company, 2 "little birds" and 2 AH-64 gunships. With an AC-130 on call!

-Your entire wardrobe can be purchased at Brigade Quartermasters.

-You have a Blackhawk credit card.

-You refer to Myock as "The Farm"

-You know what color the boathouse at Hereford is.

-The girls talk to you because you "make the big bucks"

-You have a Bear paw tattoo

-The most dangerous thing you have ever done is: PSD!

-You blouse you Royal Robins 5.11 pants into your boots

-Often email pictures of yourself in body armor, weapons and kit to all your friends, family and anybody that you have their email address.

-Believe people really give a *beep* about seeing multiple pictures of you in your body armor, weapons and kit.

-If you have ever gotten drunk and pointed loaded weapon at your best friend and thought it" was FUN!"

-You demonstrated your "quick draw" technique to your girlfriend.

-You have been seen wearing a black boonie hat, black shirt, black pants, black boots, black body armor, black ammo pouches and a MP5.in a desert environment when its 110 degrees

-You refer to yourself as a "rock n' roll mercenary"

-Despite having tons of assets-you have not left the Green Zone since July.

-As it has gotten colder instead of wearing a long sleeve shirt, you wear long underwear with a short sleeve golf shirt. But the golf shirt has your company logo on it.

-You have ridden a bicycle off the diving board into a swimming pool and thought you were impressing people.

-You spray paint your M4 into a desert camo pattern, though you only operate in a urban environment

-A MP5 is your primary weapon

-All your T-shirts have a police, military, weapon, or SWAT school logo on them

-Chasing Palace *beep* is more important than your job performance

-A chap from CRG has had to give you a lesson in manners, after you pushed him out of your principles way. Even though the lad had already stepped aside.

Cures for Blackwater Fever:

-Sit down, remain calm. Eat a slice of humble pie.

-The lads you ###### off yesterday are the ones that will come to your aid in a firefight tomorrow. Remember we are all on the same side.

-Get a proper haircut, shave and treat other personal, as you want to be treated. Don't let your ego get bigger than your hat size.

-Carry your self as a Silent Professional.

-Learn to laugh at your self.

Not all PMCs working Force Protection or PSD type details are ex-SF or even ex-military. Predominantly you are looking at over 30, heavy set and trained.

Thing to remember also is that almost all of the real deal shots are going to be taken in a relatively safe location so what they are currently wearing may bear little resemblance to what they roll out with. Currently I'd add a helmet and decent body armour to most loadouts or go low-profile (not something thats likely to work in Airsoft!).

Archived