Special Forces Civilian/PMC look? Pt.1

Icemaster109

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the rule of civcons and camo is that it misidentifies you as a part of specific forces. Which makes for misunderstandings. :/

However if you're a Merc, then anywho goes. If I understand it professional civcons try to avoid being stigmatized as mercs :mellow:

Isn't that a photo of US SFGs in Afghanistan?

The only rule that applies to civilian contractors regarding dress / uniform is that they are not allowed to dress in a fashion that emulates any participating combatant force.

i.e. A civvy contractor cannot dress as a US soldier if working in Iraq, although he can use aspects of their kit as long as it is clear to all sides that he is not in fact a participating US soldier.

The only rule that applies to civilian contractors regarding dress / uniform is that they are not allowed to dress in a fashion that emulates any participating combatant force.

i.e. A civvy contractor cannot dress as a US soldier if working in Iraq, although he can use aspects of their kit as long as it is clear to all sides that he is not in fact a participating US soldier.

Thats rollocks, PMCs extend far beyond the percieved security guys. Most of those that work in and around US bases (i.e. a huge percentage of non-military in Iraq) will wear DCUs. Primarily doing so to blend in (i.e. so they look like any other person on base, a US soldier).

Where you might not want to be readily identifiable is working a PSD cruising around in Iraq. Wearing US camo makes you a target to insurgents (as does western dress and giant SUVs anyway), wearing any other camo means the Joe armed with the Mk.19 or 50cal you're rolling up behind at 120km/h could mistake you for an insurgent and blat you.

The Force Protection and Convoy guys have less of a need, one being a giant fixed target, the other being a giant moving target.

As evidenced by this photograph of a contractor wearing GROM trousers.

Chris_Bridge.jpg

Chris Neidrich, Blackwater Contractor, RIP

Isn't that a photo of US SFGs in Afghanistan?

Yes I believe you're right.. I also recall seeing old beardface in Iraq too (on the news, I'm 99.9% certain it was him. I remember saying to a mate: "Since when did ZZ Top join US SF?" to which he replied "Nah, it's Gimli with an M4..") :D

Cheers

F

Of course Islamic cultures generally associate(d) facial hair with masculine power, one reason why the Templars and other Christian military orders grew beards in the Middle Ages..

So, it could well be a hearts & minds kind of thing that the SF lads are adopting.. or just a bit of soap-dodging caused by living rough on ops..

Or a combination of both :)

Cheers

F

Of course Islamic cultures generally associate(d) facial hair with masculine power, one reason why the Templars and other Christian military orders grew beards in the Middle Ages..

So, it could well be a hearts & minds kind of thing that the SF lads are adopting.. or just a bit of soap-dodging caused by living rough on ops..

Or a combination of both :)

Cheers

F

Bingo. :)

Arnie's Rapid Security Executive Solutions

Has now, at least in the UK, become

B.A.D.G.E.R.

We're not sure what it stands for yet, but we're toying with a couple.

Big Angry Dangerous Geardo Emergency Response?

Bad Asses, Dangerous Girls, Enjoying Replicas?

More to Follow.

Archived