Special Forces Civilian/PMC look? Pt.1

Icemaster109

The general rule of soldiering is to not trust a gun you've not serviced and zeroed yourself. Tends to be a bad idea. But I do imagine that when procuring on site some method of carriage needs to be sussed. Whether they use the kit they've got or salvage kit off the enemy (Green on green misauthentication risk?). Your guess is as good as mine without actually going up and asking one of these chaps.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isnt there a newish gun used by some US special forces group that is designed to take 7.62x51 NATO rounds and 7.62x39 M43 AK rounds? Allows for "battlefield pick-up" behind enemy lines etc. Makes sense I spose...if your running low. But i would think they take enough mags anyway. Think its made by FN and based on the FNC.

Little off-topic, just thought i would tell you :P

cheers. H&K

EDIT - Found out its called the SCAR - Special Forces Combat Assault Rifle.

lets face it, as we are lacking Brad Pitts spartan physique out of troy, we are going to need some decent gear to avoid looking a pratt. My team are going for a SWAT look, with lots of bulky vests. Mind you rigger is a 16 stone bulky brummie anyway, so he doesnt need any....

To the gym!!..............

FERG

out of interest- given the tendency of the average enemy of capitalim to be waving an AK around the place, what are the odds of SF chaps carrying AK mag pouches about their person?

afterall there can't be many things more depressing than having your shiny armalite snap on you, only to find that, when you grab the nearest gun to hand (preferably the ak of the guy who made your m4 snap), you've got no-where to store extra mags?

just a thought I was pondering last night, while I waited for slumber to whisk me back off to 'nam...

Well, I've heard through the grapevine that some civcon's are trading in their AR's for a bosnian (or some eastern european country) type of AK that seems to be perfect for that street dusty type battle, as well as the increased penetration power of the 7.62 round. So i imagine an AK47s or something might be a decent airsoft alternative.

cheers for that Gene and H&K- it just seems odd when you're SF, out on your own, doing manly things in the name of mcdonalds against the big-mac-less barbarian hordes, that you'd be relying solely on your nato rifle.

you could be carrying al the magazines in the world, but if your m4 bows out on you, those mags are about as much use as a condom to an unimaginative Nun.

hence me wondering, given the size of the AK mag being bigger by far than the m4 mag, whether they carry a few pouches about them that would accomodate them with ease? it makes sense- I suppose there's plenty of mag pouches out there that are universal though.

also often wondered, before H&K filled us in about the SCAR, why these lads don't have a pimped up AK to take with them- I know this'd be what I'd plum for.

guess it depends what form your manly missions are taking :)

No problem Crazy Harry. :). As gene says the closest thing to this in airsoft would be an AK. The SCAR is a pimped up FNC. Best pics of it would be here:

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as70-e.htm

Looks a little hard to mod it imo. Though the stock looks a lot like the one on the XM8. Possible project in the future.

Best go for an AK or be a contractor with a helluva lot of 5.56 nato mags :D

cheers. H&K

You see a lot of contractors in Iraq using AKSUs - they seem to be ideal for closer stuff. I've also seen the odd AK that's been picked up, obviously tuned by the guy's armourer, the stock and grips painted black, and an EOTech added.

EOTech seem to go well with AKs ;)

theres just something nice about being able to turn up to a skirmish looking like you couldn't give a hoot about all the delta fanboys running round in their shiny gucci gear, while at the same time not looking like a noob.

Its a look I'd love to perfect- currently working on an 80's generic non-aligned jungle mercenary look for precisely this reason.

not much of a joiner, i have to say, and I like to look different without looking amateurish :)

might have a swift browse over ebay, see if I can spot any 5.11 stuff...

You see a lot of contractors in Iraq using AKSUs

That's cause they're the coolest guns ever. Anyway, my SEAL/Civ look based off operation enduring freedom.

afgan_2.jpg

afgan_1.jpg

ps. Spear Jackets are the most comfortable jackets in the world. :)

AK mag guns- Some SF's use the SR-47(m4 w/7.62x39mm), but those were made in very limited quantities.

theres just something nice about being able to turn up to a skirmish looking like you couldn't give a hoot about all the delta fanboys running round in their shiny gucci gear, while at the same time not looking like a noob.

Amen brother! :D civcon for life dawg!

ok... interesting thread, not even sure what a civcon is, but my load out goes like this..

i wear some trousers. normally dark, could be jeans, could be olive combats, could be my night urban camos.

i wear a tshirt. or a jumper. or a bloody great swandre, and i'l give rep points to anyone who knows what that is.

then i put my viper olive drab vest over it, pick up my sr16, stuff my glock in one of the mag pockets, and then i shoot people.

i think its how you carry yourself, not what you wear.

Since the day i first started skirmishing ive always wanted to wear a contracters outfit. Unfortunately, i rarely if ever play in a MOUT type environment. Id stick out like a sore thumb if i walked into the woods wearing a flannel shirt and khaki pants. :)

yeah, this is always the sticking point with me too- not enough sites near me do a scenario that would justify me turning up in anything other than some sort of dark drab/camo colours.

bit of a shame really- I like camo, but I don't like the fact you always end up looking "affiliated" if you wear a certain type of camo- only way to avoid it is, again, to mix and match stuff and try for a level of uniqueness.

sort of why I'm working on a non-aligned jungle merc look at the mo.

would prefer to turn up in my civvies and a tac vest, but heyho...

For deep deniable ops. SAS/SBS use AK47 because they can do battle field pick-ups in most places, if you have a AR or a HK you can automatically be linked with the west,they can also tell by the bullet casings, anything western that they are wearing has the labels cut off and dead bodies are packed with Semtex and are sent to heaven the quick way

Actually they use AKs because of the ammunition availability in-country. The proliferation of western weapons around the world means you can see an AR-15 or HK in just about all geography on earth. While the Kalashnikov was the most widely made, the most widely adopted service rifle is the FN FAL, which still sees wide use in 3rd world countries.

'Deep deniable ops' are a Hollywood plot device. Special Forces dress 'in mufti' for reasons of personal protection, blending in with the locals to avoid detection in route to op areas and to streamline communication with the local populace. Nothing to do with concealing stuff on the international level. That's an intelligence agency's job, not special forces. :)

True *deniable ops* are inside jobs with operatives within the enemy ranks that have been bought out.

Archived