M60E3 Overhaul Project

Kenworth W900

Hey guys,

Got a bit of a project that you lot might like to help with :)

I have just received a TOP M60E3 from a deal on Zero-In. Gotta be honest, its in terrible shape, although to be clear, this has not been sprung upon me, I nabbed it for £100, I can't really expect any better. I want to change this by launching a full scale 'product improvement program' (PIP) much like they have in real-steel circles for military weapons - 4 or 5 of which the real M60 has been through.

Much like a real PIP I have a list of criteria which the finished article must satisfy. Although, since this airsoft, I'll settle for as close to as possible.

Externals:

-sturdier

-more realism

-easier take-down

-weight savings

Internals:

-high ROF (TBC) (inc. Mosfet installation)

-high ammo capacity (TBC)

-LiPo battery

-internally housed feedmech

-tightbore

-350FPS

-more reliable

Other:

-faux ammo belt

-budget = £250

-deadline = NAE 2013

-internal tracer unit (possible)

My plan is to use a V3 gearbox in order to kick start the overhaul of the internals. Therefore, the vast majority, if not all, of the current internal mechanism is going to get stripped out. The use of a V3 is not just because it’s the ‘obvious choice’ when it come to upgrading tired internals. There are a number of distinct reasons.

Firstly, since I intend to shoehorn an internal feedmech into the receiver of the gun, whatever space savings I can make for the rest of the internals are vital, therefore an A&K M249/M60 gearbox (the other obvious choice) is not practical as it consumes too much room with its long profile. Secondly, the V3 satisfies a lot of the internal conditions I have laid down above, including the capacity for greater RPS, FPS and reliability above other gearbox types – although I admit, much of this depends upon the quality of parts used. Lastly, the V3 uses a short type motor, crucially a caged one - something which will best suit the TOP M60 receiver and grip design.

The actual plan for the said internal feedmech is to use the rear area of the M60 to house it all. With the V3 gearbox installed, I should have enough room to squeeze in all the elements needed. I want it to be a self-winding mechanism running off the main gun battery if at all possible. As for the ammo capacity, I’m not set in stone, but 1000+ would certainly be preferable to make this project worthwhile – it’s a support weapon after all :P

As stated above in my list of criteria, some elements of the external overhaul include weight savings and strengthening. Anything that is superfluous to my skirmishing needs will be stripped off and anything which is found to be seriously lacking in strength or aesthetics will have to be improved or replaced.

The area which I know for fact that I am going to need help with later on is mosfet installation and general wiring setup (including the feedmech). I’m fairly airsmith-tech savvy, but the wiring has never been my strong point.

I know that project threads thrive on pics, therefore I am currently trying to arrange some photos of the beginnings of this project.

Let me know what you guys think of my ideas so far.

Well, it certainly isn't in great shape - but as for significant expense, I should not think the the body will need a huge amount of $$$ thrown at it.

Areas like the flimsy foregrips and pistol grip will be improved by bonding and fillin them to get a better overall structure to them. Even if, for example, I decide to swap out the main receiver side panels, replacing them will likely be more time consuming than actually expensive I think.

I have little bit of a cunning plan to come in on budget, I will hopefully be able to sell on the parts which I strip off this weapon - bipod, internals, etc.

EDIT: Here's a question:

If I want to use a P90 hopup chamber with a V3 gearbox what nozzle should I be using? A P90 one, because of the chamber, or an AK one (or other) because of the gearbox?

Hey KKid, thank you kindly for the offer of help.

If you have any pics, videos or tips about any of you builds could you perhaps post some of them here?

Here's some details of my plans so far:

1. Inner Barrel: According to my measurements, the longest inner barrel I can fit in the M60 would be a 550mm. However, I think I may go for a 534mm instead just to be safe and so that the inner barrel won’t be noticeable up front – that and I’m worried about cylinder volume issues with a 550mm length inner barrel. I have had nothing but good experiences with the Vanaras brand barrels so, Vanaras it is.

2. Battery: The plan at the moment is to order a fairly hefty 2500-3000mAh 11.1v LiPo from Component Shop to go in the foregrip area. LiPo wise the battery space is actually fairly cavernous so if needs be I could go even bigger.

3. Hop Up: I’m thinking about using a TM P90 hopup chamber for this build, given that its already a top-feeding mechanism. As for the hopup rubber, as yet undecided – any suggestions are welcome.

4. Mosfet: Complete blank canvas with regards to my plans for a mosfet. Unsure as to what will best suit this build.

5. Feed chute: Going to use either a mix of tubing and springs or just a spring to feed the BBs up towards the hopup area. If anyone has a good source for box mag style feed springs, please let me know.

6. Wiring: I’ve not put a lot of thought into the wiring setup as yet, not until I’ve finalised what components I want inside the M60. For example, I’m tempted by a tracer unit, which I may end up including in this project.

7. Gearbox: V3 gearbox shoehorned inside. With plenty of upgrade parts: 5KU cylinder, AIP motor, SHS gears, SHS nozzle, Element piston head, etc.

8. BB Tray: I reckon I’ll be able to store somewhere in the region of 1500-2000 BBs in the proposed BB tray area, assuming it all goes to plan. Will need to make sure this area is enclosed to avoid BBs escaping to other areas of the gun.

9. Feedmech: So, the plan here is to use a standard hi-cap magazine and a mini servo motor to create a compact feed mechanism. Unsure on a few things here, like: how small a servo can I go before it won’t pull the mechanism? And, what’s the biggest hicap mech I can squeeze in.

10. Power Pack: This bit’s simple, I’m gonna squeeze in a small 4.8v NiMH battery to power the servo feedmech motor into the area above the rear of the receiver.

The tracer unit will be really easy to do if your using a feeding tray just put a load of IR LED'S into the feeding tray this will charge the tracer rounds before they are fired while you are doing that you could add a smoker and yellow LED's to the front seen this done on a bren gun and it looked awesome in low light conditions.

Hop Rubber - PDI W Rubber is awesome or Guarder Blacks both exellent

Wireing - 14 AWG + Deans

Battery sounds good make sure you go for somthing with a high discharge rate somthing like 30c - 35c

As for the barrel have a look at RA-Tech ones, they are cheap very well made and done in all sorts of lengths! Though Vanaras are still good, pref a 6.03mm

@Silent: Yeah, its sorta funny you should mention the idea of a smoker and LEDs because I noticed earlier on today that the inner barrel of the TOP M60 is over sized. It uses an inner barrel with a outer diameter of 10mm, which compared with standard AEG inner barrels, is 2mm wider. I was wondering firstly how I was going to overcome that difference and then subsequently whether that difference could come in handy. If I were to want to fit some apparatus near the muzzle then it could indeed be handy for running wires up alongside the inner barrel :)

@banks: Thanks for the tip about the W-Hold rubbers, hadn't really noticed them yet, they do look decent for the price. And yes, I agree with you about the 6.03mm, thats what all the tightbores I have here are. Never tried 6.01s personally, but I've seen enough jams in my mates weapons to know that I can't be doing with the hassle.

I've sent off some emails regarding this project towards Keith at Airsoft Engravers and over to Bunker Boxes in the US.

I have asked for a quote from Airsoft Engravers to get some work done on the M60's receiver. Specifically, to have the following engraved: 'Long Tall Sally, she built sweet, she got everything, that Uncle John need. Aw baby, I'm gonna have me some fun...' Hopefully some of you guys will get the reference :P

I've made an enquiry with Bunker Boxes about the potential for having the components of an M60 weapons crate made up for me and sent over here. I'm deliberately proposing only having the components made up in order to save on shipping costs. As sending an entire 44" x 12" x 8" crate would cost a fortune (although it probably will anyway).

For the record, I'm not including some of the accessories such as engraving, carry crate nor faux ammo belt in my target budget of £250, or else I'd have little hope of sticking to it.

Muzzle flash video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyHiJXAwYH0&feature=autoplay&list=UL70TA27tzxjc&playnext=1

As for the case you might wanna try these guys to save on shipping

http://www.wwiiboxes.co.uk/Weapon%20Related.htm

I am now on the look out for a support gun project looking at this stuff has me reaching for my wallet although i currently have 4 or 5 unfinished projects on the go lol

Also found this not great detail but Meh

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=38552

Archived