Czech President shot in public with an airsoft pistol

DarkLite

Looking at the video, not a model I recognise....

Given that the President appears to have a look of bemusement then annoyance on his face at the time (before getting annoyed at his BG team) I can't help thinking that it just shows that airsoft guns are more dangerous to the users in the wrong circumstances than the victim.

Anyone looking for a bodyguarding job? I think I know where there are going to be a couple of vacancies very soon.

He doesn't need one. CO² shooting and he just stands there?

either the gbb was faulty or he's made of steel.

It would be a good thing, if the bodyguards identified the airsoft gun as such and thus didn't interfere. That would show to the world that airsoft is safe.

But I really doubt they did. They were simply incompetent, making things worse for us and themselves...

It would be a good thing, if the bodyguards identified the airsoft gun as such and thus didn't interfere. That would show to the world that airsoft is safe.

But I really doubt they did. They were simply incompetent, making things worse for us and themselves...

The thing is that identifying what a gun is, in the split seconds you have to react (or not in this case) just cannot be done. You can't be 10 meters away, see someone pull a pistol and instantly say "Alright boys, it's only an airsoft gun!". Sure WE know the differences between the two, but at the distance the assailant can be and with not even seconds to react, nobody could tell the difference.

I'm glad that it was an airsoft gun as the guy is still alive, however it doesn't look good on airsoft at all. Having this twit do this is very likely to bite us in the butt.

The thing is that identifying what a gun is, in the split seconds you have to react (or not in this case) just cannot be done.

Exactly my point. You simply can't tell the difference. And that's what the media will focus on. It COULD have been a real gun, airsoft DOES look much too real, what can we do to prevent such happenings in the future and so on... We had that a few times and airsoft only got away very close.

Exactly my point. You simply can't tell the difference. And that's what the media will focus on. It COULD have been a real gun, airsoft DOES look much too real, what can we do to prevent such happenings in the future and so on... We had that a few times and airsoft only got away very close.

Well, knowing the media they will brainwash your average Joe and make him demand his government to ban airsoft guns.

And next time they want to shoot a president, they'll skip the rehearsal and go "live" (ammo that is).

What a pillock.

But still I don't see this having any reprecussions that we need to worry about over here. Firstly as the reaction was 'hey douche, stop it' so it shows that he couldn't feel anything to worry about and the guy doing it was not shot as a response. Typical BBC though, report on everything and make everything look bad. :P

'FireKnife'

But still I don't see this having any reprecussions that we need to worry about over here.

Yeah, but we got away close I think, this could have ended really badly if his bodyguards were too quick to react, just imagine if they had shot him, which is entirely feasible, and bystanders were injured or killed from either stray shots or just shots going through him... then everyone would focus on the cause being he had a toy gun that looked too realistic resulting in innocent lives / suffering, rather than caused by a twit being an idiot... :S

It is supposed that when dealing "VIP" security you deal 3 safety rings, being the closest to him the "personal security cell" that no one would be able to trespass unnoticed, more in the "armed" scenary, just have seen the photos but the "offender" carries open and with extended arm the "gun" and the scorts don´t even notice him, the one in the back right is looking front instead covering his side. (youtube video now available) the man don´t even try to scape, the bodyguards don´t even react after a man dressed in camo and head shaved pulls a "gun" , shoots and stays there, this is not an airsoft news, is a national security news.

Very true, but I am too much of an optomist. It ended well, as well enough as a situation like this could end and we hopefully wont have any major issues that arise from it.

Either way if it was our monarchy that was threatend then it would be the end for us. If it was the PM, most people would hope it was real and Clegg was standing on the other side to catch the rounds that pass through him.

'FireKnife'

I don't think it would result in bans. At the end of the day the failing is with the security services and that is where the outcry will lie. It wouldn't have mattered if it was a BB gun, paintball gun, water gun, rubber band gun, cap gun or spud gun, he was making a point by getting that close and I honestly don't think the fact it is was a CO2 pistol will have much of a negative effect on RIFs in any country.

Basically what I am saying is that the shocking thing that people will pick up on is that someone could get that close, not what they used to deliver the message. People won't be thinking "*fruitcage* me! There is gonna be an epidemic of people walking up to world leaders with toy guns' lets ban them!", they will be thinking "*fruitcage* me, how did that guy get through security? Thank *fruitcage* it wasn't a fundamentalist! Better up that dudes security!"

You know? My first reaction when I read this and saw the first photos of the Czech President's reaction...

I was expecting to find out that it was someone pulling a Donovan or Stirling to prove a point to the Czech security service. Then I thought thye'd have had to be totally nuts to risk such stunt. What if the one competent bodyguard was there and did the 'right thing', shooting the assailant before he gets to hit anyone? Way too risky, although it would have disproved the point of lax security...

Archived