AWS Operators Choice Plate Carrier Comparison/Review

Review with pictures: http://www.facebook.com/notes/9th-group/aws-operators-choice-plate-carrier-lbt-6094-clone-review/308975452543267?notif_t=note_comment

387442_308991689208310_501867366_n.jpg

(AWS on left, LBT on right)

Background:

Many casual airsofters and impressionists are often forced to buy tactical equipment made overseas in China due to the costs of US made products, and unfortunately this usually results in the purchase of subpar products which fail much quicker than the "real thing" would. The AWS Operators Choice Plate Carrier may be a viable solution to that dilemma, providing people with an affordable, US made plate carrier. This carrier, which will henceforth be referred to as the AWS OCPC, is a clone of the London Bridge Trading 6094 line, specifically the ESAPI cut A/B/C versions. I use the word "clone" because that is the best word for it, even though the use of that word may conjure images of China made reproductions of US made gear. The AWS OCPC is, for all purposes, a US made clone of the 6094. In fact, I will be comparing my AWS OCPC in Multicam with an LBT 6094A, also in Multicam.

I was first interested in this plate carrier as I saw it was identical to the LBT 6094, yet half the retail cost of a 6094. I found that this may be a good option for those airsofters and impressionsts that want a US made plate carrier, but can't afford the cost of a real LBT 6094 or similar plate carrier.

*Note: When viewing the pictures, please remember that the LBT 6094 is an "A" model, meaning it is sized for medium plates, whereas the AWS OCPC is sized for large plates. There is a size difference between the two.

Purchasing:

I purchased this online from AWS' website at awsin.com. Overall ordering was easy, you go through the standard motions of adding your item to a cart and checking out, providing shipping and payment information, and submitting it. My only complaint about the process is that you do not receive a purchase invoice, nor is there any way to "sign in" to the AWS website to track your order. Other than that purchasing was easy, and the carrier came out to a total of $162, including cost of Fedex Ground shipping to my address.

Unfortunately they were out of stock of Multicam carriers, and I was called the day after placing my order and was notified of this. AWS offered me the carrier in another color if I needed it in a hurry, but I declined and decided to wait until Multicam carriers were back in stock. I was quoted a two week lead time, and that was accurate; two weeks after placing my order, my card was charge, the carrier was shipped, and it arrived 4 days later. While I wasn't all that thrilled by their lack of order invoice, I was very impressed by their customer service, especially taking the initiative to call me when my order was out of stock instead of just letting me wait without any notification like many other companies would. I would give AWS a 10 out of 10 for customer service, though others may be less happy than I with their online ordering process.

Quality and Construction:

I am very impressed with the construction of this carrier, especially comparing it to the LBT 6094. The biggest differences in material between the two is that the AWS OCPC is made of 1000d material and has Multicam webbing, while the LBT 6094 that I have (with a Date of Manufacture of Nov 2011) is made of 500d material and has khaki webbing, although this is not a critical difference as LBT now offers the choice of Multicam webbing with their 6094s. The AWS OCPC, like I said, is made of real Multicam 1000d Cordura and has real Multicam webbing, so the material matches up in strength to the LBT 6094 and my Mayflower R&C Assualt Plate Carrier. In fact the AWS OCPC's webbing is the exact same as what is on my Mayflower APC. The color of velcro used is also slightly different with the OCPC having a more "tan" colored velcro, while the LBT 6094 has sand colored velcro.

The stitching is equally impressive. While the OCPC has double stitching, rather than the LBT's triple stitching, it is quality work nonetheless. Stitching is straight, there are no loose threads, and the spaces between stitching on the webbing is equal, unlike the hit and miss spacing that is found on many cheaper carriers made overseas. In the pictures I have included you can compare the stitching on the OCPC to the stiching on the LBT 6094, and the differences (double vs. triple) are noticable, however the quality of the stitching is also easily noticable.

As stated earlier, the AWS OCPC is, as far as I can tell, a direct copy of the LBT 6094. The OCPC has all the design features of the 6094, from the velcro'd kangaroo pouch in the cummerbund flap to the built in radio/magazine pouches in the cummerbund. All of these designs and features are present, and not one of them are shoddy; they are all solidly constructed. I will assume that those reading this are familiar with the LBT 6094 and its design, so I will not go in to detail about the design features unless it is requested.

The velcro attachment points on the cummerbund and all over the carrier are securely stitched on to the carrier's material, and I do not foresee any tearing at those points with continued use of the carrier. The shock cord used to adjust the rear of the cummerbund is of excellent quality, easily on par with the cord used by LBT on the 6094. The following pictures serve to compare the AWS OCPC with the LBT 6094A.

Conclusions:

After fielding this, I continue to be impressed. Stitching held up great, mounting pouches was no problem at all, and it sat comfortably. Shoulder pads aren't terribly great, but then again they're complete copies of the LBT pads, and the LBT pads aren't fantastic either. Comm routing velcro loops on the front, back, and pads work great and were able to fit the hydration tube from my Source bladder.

Overall, this is a very well made plate carrier, and it's construction is close to, if not rivaling, LBT's construction. I highly recommend this for people who want a 6094 type carrier that's made in the US, but can't afford LBT's prices.

Feel free to share this review other places, just please give credit to "Welshy" from 9th Group, and please link our FB page. Thanks!

Photo credit to Nick Gourlie: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nick-Gourlie-Photography/322596994449381?fref=ts

It is, or at least that's what AWS told me. The Eagle DPC is a direct copy of a swimmer cut LBT 6094. It could be that LBT doesn't hold a patent on the 6094 design (a theory that makes sense considering the DPC), or it just could be that LBT doesn't care because they're not losing a lot of market to AWS (it's not like NSW is going to contract out to AWS).

I was tempted to ask them how they did it, but I didn't want to come off as hostile and accusing them of stealing a design. I have a feeling that LBT doesn't hold a patent, which is what allows AWS and Eagle to make pretty much direct copies of the 6094.

Actually the DPC lacks the retention bungees in the cummerbund mbitr pockets like the LBT, it appears to have a different molle layout on the back, and I believe the cummerbund is sized differently, it also obviously has different shoulder pads. The DPC though from what I understand came about when LBT couldn't keep up with NSW orders for the 6094, so I don't think that patenting is an issue with the DPC. You may be right that they don't hold a patent on it though, but I'm just really surprised about the price point if they are both made in the US.

Edited by ctres94

LBT has increased their prices within the last year (retail of a 6094 from them went up about $50, IIRC). Also, the 6094, at least the DOM 2011 one I have, doesn't have retention bungies in the pockets, they're paracord, same as the DPC. DPC also has the same MOLLE layout on the back as a swimmer cut 6094, as a teammate of mine used to have a DPC. Cummerbunds are also sized the same, IIRC. Though you are right the pads are much different, and IMO the DPC pads are much better than the 6094's.

My theories are that AWS doesn't offer a warranty like LBT, and they're not a "name brand". AWS, to my knowledge, relies on private purchases, whereas LBT makes most of their business from military contracts, so it's not like they need to have competitive prices for civilians. I mean hell, the 6094 and DPC are pretty much the same damn thing, but the DPC is almost $100 cheaper than the 6094 now.

LBT makes good stuff, but sometimes I think their prices are where they're at because they can afford to have them high; people who want LBT will buy LBT, but it doesn't matter too much since they have the large mil orders making up a bulk of their profits.

AWS has been a fairly well known supplier of tactical nylon for some years now. A lot of their older vests are associated with "old school" setups such as their strike vest and various armor carriers such as their CQB vest. They're more of a small batch facility from what I've seen compared to the larger manufacturers.

Cheers,

Piano