Prometheus new-fangled hop-up

mimesis

So there's another hop system just been released.

It's two-part, with a redesigned nub (aka tensioner) and a moundless bucking (aka straight packing).

The nub comes in two different flavors, bridge and flat.

Bridge:

1348464383606033292.jpg

- Longer pressure surface than conventional tensioner, along with rounded bottom profile to achieve sufficient hop up with lower pressure, optimized for high firing rate AEGs.

- Notched bottom surface for more consistant BB trajectory, thus tighter grouping

- Soft and hard type included

- Works best with Prometheus Straight Chamber Packing series

- Suitable for most Marui-Compatible AEGs ( Except UZI )

And flat:

pm_pt_htfsh_m.jpg

- Longer pressure surface than conventional tensioner, along with rounded bottom profile to achieve sufficient hop up with lower pressure, optimized for high firing rate AEGs.

- Flat bottom surface for maximum hop up performance

Either is supposed to work in conjunction with a bucking with no mound inside.

pm_pt_scps_m.jpg

- Smooth-bore design, optimized for high firing rate AEGs

- Omits contact point, achieves sufficient hop up by using longer, but lower height contact section.

Depending on shape and side of "window" in the hop-up unit, the nub/tensioner will either fit fine or may need to be modified.

pm_pt_htfsh_x.jpg

Given how good I've found the Prometheus Neo Strike hop-up unit to be, and the conventional Prometheus purple soft bucking, this looks rather promising....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, only difference is

Flat: Flat bottom surface for maximum hop up performance

Bridge: Notched bottom surface for more consistent BB trajectory, Thus tighter groupings

so the question is, what would give the better range?

Im thinking the Bridge type due to the 2 sides of the rubber will guide the BB down the barrel in a straight line with even back spin? and in theory giving you accuracy as well

I should test these before making any statement, but I think that making your own nub with sorbothane will yield better results as the sorbo will deform over time to the shape of the bbs, an thus making better contact than the bridged nub, although this is just a drop in upgrade aimed to people who dont want to make test and get an instant upgrade without dirtying their hands

I ordered the straight bucking and bridge nubs last week from TMC for testing, though I've already been shaping Firefly nubs (and clones) in a similar manner with a sanding drum on a Dremel tool. Mine turn out concave on the inside instead of grooved.

Hopefully Prometheus will continue commercializing various homebrew improvements by offering larger barrel windows and buckings with big, flat bumps that fit the window precisely (i.e., an R hop that doesn't suck to set up and maintain).

Yes, regular windows are in theory long enough. See the chart in post #1. Different styles of hop-up unit require some modification, lopping off one or both of the bits at each end, but standard M4 hops should have enough room. Notice, though, that with Prometheus's own chamber, trimming will be required.

Gone are the days of that dance when you tried to get the little cylindrical nub to stay in place while you lowered the cup of the hop-up arm on to it (if you didn't secure the nub in the cup with some viscous silicon oil or vaseline).

Yes, regular windows are in theory long enough. See the chart in post #1....

The chart refers to the available space for the nub in the chamber. Most barrel windows are significantly smaller than the Firefly buffer rubber--it will still work, but not as well, because the nub will bind up and curve as the hop arm forces it through the smaller opening.

I ordered the straight bucking and bridge nubs last week from TMC for testing, though I've already been shaping Firefly nubs (and clones) in a similar manner with a sanding drum on a Dremel tool. Mine turn out concave on the inside instead of grooved.

Hopefully Prometheus will continue commercializing various homebrew improvements by offering larger barrel windows and buckings with big, flat bumps that fit the window precisely (i.e., an R hop that doesn't suck to set up and maintain).

Agreed. A barrel with a bucking that matches the window precisely coupled with the nubs like this would be ideal. I'm messing with an R-hop currently and there is too much "good enough" and guess-timation involved. I prefer to have a product that fits very well out of the box and can be improved to work better, not something that has to be fiddled with and custom fit to work as well as a standard hop-up and the fitted more to get a slight improvement.

At the moment I still like the Systema PTW hop better than the R-hop. yeah the PTW hop sucks out of the box but I have tweaked about 5 of them now to shoot just over 200 feet accurately and it only takes about 10 minutes per gun. Messing with the R-hop has yielded slightly better results in SOME cases. Just haven't has as much luck due to the increased time and tooling required to do the mods.

Flat hops? Don't get me started... Buckings aren't meant to deform like that and I have never had luck with one. I've seen better performance with a correctly installed marui style hop-up on a good barrel with a cleaned up window.

MANUFACTURERS! Thank you for bringing out cool new little doo-dads to try and improve on the AEG status quo! I'm tired of seeing the same products on the market that have been around for 10 years. (Looking at you Systema and Guarder, Same AEG products I've been able to get for a decade now!) I think what we need is a 90% drop in product similar to R-hop integrated into a bucking. Also give me some improved metal toothed pistons that don't deform at the first tooth or eject the tooth strip, improved roller bearing bushings, hybrid bore-up aluminum/delrin piston heads similar to the Hurricane offering, and non-silent type bore-up cylinder heads. My support guns can each fire upwards of 100K BBs a year and I'm tired of doing a total rebuild every 3 months.

"Drop in R-Hop" sounds impossible to me, coz the "window" of the inner barrel from different brands may come in different shapes ( yes, I'm using RA-Tech inner barrel in my WE GBB rifle and I wanted to try out some APLUS buckings :( ), unless someone makes a complete "bucking x nub x über-long-windowed-inner-barrel combo" as a mass-produced commercial product :greedy:

Flat hops? Don't get me started... Buckings aren't meant to deform like that and I have never had luck with one. I've seen better performance with a correctly installed marui style hop-up on a good barrel with a cleaned up window.

This is true. To supplement on that:

Buckings are stretched like crazy when you do these mods. The hopup bucking gets stretched into a slit.

Like this:

Red = Barrel edge

Blue = hopup rubber

stress_big_thumb.jpg

Now, i'm not saying that it can't be bought and used without experiencing any problems, but people should be aware of this bad design.

"Drop in R-Hop" sounds impossible to me, coz the "window" of the inner barrel from different brands may come in different shapes ( yes, I'm using RA-Tech inner barrel in my WE GBB rifle and I wanted to try out some APLUS buckings :( ), unless someone makes a complete "bucking x nub x über-long-windowed-inner-barrel combo" as a mass-produced commercial product :greedy:

I'm hoping for exactly this, Like how the ORGA barrel holds a regular bucking sideways and uses the flat nub. Except you know, not the flat hop style... Just a bucking made perfectly for a specific barrel. They could even produce the larger windowed barrels and bucking in house.

Archived