Death Machine (redux)- This project will make you a goddamn Sexual Tyranosaurus.

spetsnazdave87

Haha weirdly dagonet you're not the first person to have suggested a dual M60 to me for my project :P

I'm going to head over to B&Q now to see what I can find so will update in a bit, I was wondering if a stack of nuts of correct diameter jb welded together in a column might do the trick...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right ladies and gents, a quick look around B&Q got me absolute diddly squat in terms of an internally tapped tube, but I got myself some 8mm pvc tubing.

20121018_204841_zps82e4bf17.jpg

Cut it down, heated it, stretched it and voila.

20121018_204933_zpseb279d02.jpg

20121018_215631_zps6b4a5fbd.jpg

I can run bbs through it smoothly now, it's got enough flex to move but not enough to kink. I don't foresee any problems with the hose working itself out, as I'll cinch it down with cable ties pretty securely when I get it put into the feed tube.

Also performed the first feed test.

Test footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv8ut9obsow&feature=youtu.be

Now, I did get some bbs feeding through, but not consistently. If I held the tube in a certain way it fed fine, but other ways it didn't, so I'll need to upgrade to a better motor.

The motor I have in there at the moment is a 6v 100 rpm motor. I propose upgrading to this, 12v 120 rpm motor. As far as I can tell with my limited grasp of electronics, this will improve the torque and feeding .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-DC-HIGH-TORQUE-Electric-Motor-Gearbox-120-RPM-ARDUINO-RASPBERRY-Pi-/140869982399?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item20cc8158bf

Will that work better? I just need it to push bbs consistently over the full metre.

Haha I'm pretty chuffed with it :P

The ammo box arrived today :D Great dimensions, won't stick out as much as I thought it would so shouldn't see any problems with it. I'm going to definitely put it on the bottom of the frame- less work for the motor.

The D rings for the sling system also arrived today, so all being well I can finish the sling and harness this afternoon when I get back from hospital :)

I love it when a plan comes together...

They must be massive to consider swaggering round a site with all this on, being all cool and *suitcase* while hosing every mofo who gets up in your grille!

Shmook I don't now how to tell you this but I'm not actually fiddy cent :P

Nah it's a throat condition I've got (hence why I sound like i've been gargling gravel on the test footage lol). Need semiregular treatment. I'm off work with it at the moment hence the project to help me fill the time!

Will update tonight when I get the sling sorted.

Best part of this hopper-backpack? NO ONE can claim it's not MilSim... :D Heck, the modern and working variety was field-developed in 'Stan, refined back in the USA then the production test models and producitn models were sent for evaluation to the guys on the ground who came up with the idea in first place...

Haha I'm pretty chuffed with it :P

The ammo box arrived today :D Great dimensions, won't stick out as much as I thought it would so shouldn't see any problems with it. I'm going to definitely put it on the bottom of the frame- less work for the motor.

The D rings for the sling system also arrived today, so all being well I can finish the sling and harness this afternoon when I get back from hospital :)

I love it when a plan comes together...

Good luck with the hospital appointment mate and Pics Pics Pics when your back!

Depends, I reckon it would be doable in about two weeks tops barring any unforseen issues. Motor will only take a few days to get here, inert link will be the last item to buy once I check everything's working. Got to sort the wiring/fet system out with Sam (vice), but that shouldn't be much of an issue.

Then it's a matter of getting some clear pvc, drilling it and cutting it and fashioning an appropriate hopper before lining it with foam.

Feed tube cover, straps and ratchets are en route.

Prototype rig is ASSEMBLED.

Rig:

20121019_221047_zps137d40b6.jpg

20121019_221056_zps0cddb757.jpg

20121019_221144_zpsaa9a1522.jpg

Mk43 with sling attachment mounted.

20121019_221143_zps9b99403f.jpg

Hooked up to me:

20121019_2220020_zps6dae99b9.jpg

View from above:

20121019_222045_zpsb17bbd9b.jpg

More shots:

20121019_222139_zps96170b42.jpg

20121019_222129_zps64d08d32.jpg

20121019_222212_zps6ae82e78.jpg

Does my *albartroth* look big in this? :P

20121019_222116_zps6472937e.jpg

It's a bit messy at the moment with the trailing straps, but these will be cleaned up.

Tbh although the sling one point makes it very pointable, it's almost definitely going to interfere with the feed and ammo going into the gun there. I think a QD system from each shoulder for the slings to hang further out as nature intended is a better idea for practicality, despite losing some maneuverability with it.

Going to be a bit of a lull (3-4 days) on this while I'm home visiting family. Going to be spending an hour or so each evening doing layers of stitching on the shoulder straps (manually- oh joy) so they'll be rock solid.

Motor is ordered (so I hope it works!), 7.62 inert ammo and QD buckles for sling system mk2 are also en route.

i tried something similar a while back and found that a standard hicap spring will definatly not feed bbs down a long hose.... i guess its too much weight and friction. i was gonna gut the feed wheel and rig it so that the motor turns the wheel when the trigger is pulled, it would need enough torque to shift a few feet of bbs and enough speed to keep up with the gun. i never attempted it though.... one problem i thought may occur would be if the motor was too strong/fast the bbs would jam and the feed wheel would lose teeth. a standard mag clicks when its wound when fully wound, maybe you could keep this in?

Archived