F&O Upper Heyford

FTZ-WildeCard

Has anyone been to F&O RAF Upper Heyford?

Missed out on FCS Chelmsford as it was fully booked and found Upper Heyford as an alternative -- it's a new site (having come in earlier this year). I couldn't find much in the way of reviews.

Has anyone had any personal experience of playing there? I'm heading there this weekend and like what I'm seeing so far. :)

Would just be nice to hear from someone who has first had experience.

Good site and marshalls, some of the players it draws in can be lacking of intelligence but that is hardly the sites fault, one concern you've got huge gaps between buildings 120m sometimes getting over them can be a nightmare unless your quick on your toes.

Alright for snipers but for those of us that lack the range it's a ball ache, places like this aren't really to my taste since it gets a bit dull and boring to look at, I can't fault the marshalls but the game play can get stale if your pinned down in your spawn and they have the high ground it's nigh on impossible to get out since as I mentioned they'll be three stories up shooting down at you and you'll be effectively walking into their fire.

I've only seen it go like that once. And they rooted us out eventually.

The great thing with heyford is that you can always find another route if you're stuck. I've been very effective with nothing but a pistol and shotgun and didn't feel too outgunned.

Either. You can play it how you like. There will be building to building work which suit a woodland loadout. There will also be corridor and room clearance which can get a bit tasty at times.

Sometimes I go, never enter a building and still have a great time. Last time it was pistol and shotty and ambushing in corridors was the order of the day.

OK just wanted to report that Upper Heyford is... AMAZING!

To put my opinion in context, given a choice of going to the Mall or Upper Heyford, for me it's Upper Heyford all day long, babeh! The site is large, with generous spacing between each building. Some buildings are multi tier - the highest I think being 3 levels giving an excellent view of the surrounding area.

The games are centered around specific objectives, but you're given free reign as to how you approach them. Some buildings have doors left open which can you freely travel through, opening up opportunities for surprise attacks and flanking. CQB is good - there was perhaps one building that only had one set of stairs up causing complete carnage, but the rest of the buildings have no such issues.

The site has a real urban feel which our team absolutely loved, but there is also adequate opportunity for sniping, given the selection of multi level buildings and open areas. Semi-Auto only rules (which were a pet peeve for me at the Mall, but a necessity given the close in nature there) are only present when closing in on a building, firing on enemies closing in or fighting freely within it. This really gives Support Weapons a nice niche to play in, alongside the marksmen and sniper wannabes your team might have.

Scenarios were interesting and varied and the marshalls were just perfect. Even got some impromptu CQB training, which after attending made you realise how much CQB is less about what you see in movies and more about plain common sense.

The safety briefing also wasn't the epic snorefest that I have experienced at the Mall; it was thorough but not overly so - a refreshing change.

Lunch was included in the ticket price and unlike the Mall, your hot food is individually wrapped and actually makes sense (ie if you get a burger it comes in a bun, unlike the hotdog that comes in a round bun haha). In any case, this isn't a slight to the Mall - it's just as with anything, it is the small things that count!

If I did have to nitpick, the facilities were just OK. There was a portaloo for personal business which, unlike some sites, was actually clean -- but there were no showers or proper rest rooms, at least none that I could easily locate during the day. This is one area that the Mall wins out, no contest.

I do realise I rambled on a bit about the Mall, but as above I wanted to be able to give some context to my comments. Again, as above these words form my opinion so if you believe I am wrong, that's just you. :) That said, I did enjoy the Mall very much -- there's something unique about sneaking around in pitch black darkness during the middle of the day!

Damn! Dude if you were there you should have let me know! haha :)

We were on Yellow as well!! Did you have the Spas slung over your back? I saw a few guys wearing shotgun slings.

I didn't end up wearing DPM in the end, but some of our team did. My brother convinced me to try a pseudo-PMC style load out last minute. I just threw together a few things and just left it.

If you click on the link in my sig it'll take you to our team page, we managed to take a few pics right at the end of the day before getting kicked out - not sure if you'll recognise us from our loadouts, but we'll be going again on Nov 4 to have another go!

Would have but I didn't know who you were! :P

I'll have a look at your pics when I'm on a computer next as sigs aren't visible on iPhone browser.

I'm going next on November 4th too. May be in a comedy loadout for that game. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't see any comedy loadouts today - but I did forget to ask if anyone else was actually going!

We were going to turn up early and do all our media stuff pre-game, but unfortunately it was rained out until the afternoon -- we did get some shots done but no where near as many as I'd have liked.

You can see our snaps here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.418851818169739.108464.410915035630084&type=1

Havent been since the opening day as its so far away, thought it was closing?

All of F&O's non-woodland sites will close eventually, but the question is when.

We have use of them until planning/tender is sort for whatever the land owners plan to use the sites for. The Mall is a good 2/3 years into it's 5 year life although who knows when they will be in position to actually start knocking it down), The Asylum in Kidderminster barely escaped getting designated a traveler camp and so on.

That being said an done, there has been no mention of any pending closures so all our CQB/FiBUA sites should be good for the next 12 months pending issues outside of F&Os control.

Archived