Home made SR47 receiver. Possible?

chas

This is a photo of the RS: http://eafairsoft.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/img_1090426_17752533_0.jpg

This is one of the Hurricane conversion kit... 500$: http://www.uncompany.com/images/hurricane-sr47set_big.jpg

How would you achieve this for less than 100-150$?

- A custom hop up unit wouldnt be strictly necessary, I believe it's easier to modify the AK magazine to feed through the front, and keep the regular M4 hop.

- One way to go would be using an JG SR25 body (plenty of room), but it doesnt look that cool without modification either.

- I know KA makes "AK mags for M4". They look *suitcase*.

Any idea is welcome, since I'm never going to spend more than 300$ on a whole gun (except for a PKM).

Cheers!

EDIT: First Idea!

I just stuck an AK mag shell into the magwell of my SR16 and realized I could the front of the M4 Mgawell away and make a shell to substitute it (with the steeper magwell bottom), that I could secure to the front body pin (where the upper pivots on the lower) and glue the rest to the remains of the original M4 lower, putty, sand and repaint. I dont think this would compromise the structural integrity, as long as I keep the upper portion of the front of the magwell, where the front pin goes. The cut-away and modified portion of the magwell only needs to be strong enough to hold the AK magazine, which is held on at the front. IT's a tight fit (width wise), but it comes in and out.

Then there's the custom hop unit by the looks of it, your never going to do this with the budget that you've set out since the machining required is unbelievable, also an sr-25 would be a better base because of the already larger magwell.

This would be a good place to start:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/ad-classic-metal-receiver-for-aandk-sr-25-aeg.html

Perfectly doable, but that's a whole lot of "doing" that most people will just look the other way. Essentially you need to make a modified hop chamber (the easiest part IMO) and modify the magwell which involves cutting it at an angle, adding a lip on the inside for the ak mag to catch on, and a fabricated mag catch. You don't even need to go with metal for any of the above parts/mods.

Ok well let me break it down in a way that will seem helpful.

You can't do it with a regular M4 an Sr-25 would be better due to the sizing of the mag and from the pictures.

you've then got to machine the hop, a simple dremel won't do here.

then there's the mag catch, since I think it's going to be hitting the mag and you need to somehow have it hold the mag in place at the top right?

So either redesign the mag release here or fabricating a new one....

then you've got to make sure there is constant contact between the hop unit and the mag otherwise feeding issues will occur.

Simply put custom stuff like this is never cheap and can somtimes cost more than the finished product, and it's going to be poorly done unless you have precision equipment to hand.

If I'm honest I'd wait...

This would be a good place to start:

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/ad-classic-metal-receiver-for-aandk-sr-25-aeg.html

Perfectly doable, but that's a whole lot of "doing" that most people will just look the other way. Essentially you need to make a modified hop chamber (the easiest part IMO) and modify the magwell which involves cutting it at an angle, adding a lip on the inside for the ak mag to catch on, and a fabricated mag catch. You don't even need to go with metal for any of the above parts/mods.

Ok well let me break it down in a way that will seem helpful.

You can't do it with a regular M4 an Sr-25 would be better due to the sizing of the mag and from the pictures.

you've then got to machine the hop, a simple dremel won't do here.

then there's the mag catch, since I think it's going to be hitting the mag and you need to somehow have it hold the mag in place at the top right?

So either redesign the mag release here or fabricating a new one....

then you've got to make sure there is constant contact between the hop unit and the mag otherwise feeding issues will occur.

Simply put custom stuff like this is never cheap and can somtimes cost more than the finished product, and it's going to be poorly done unless you have precision equipment to hand.

If I'm honest I'd wait...

If you had read my first post carefully (hope this is not coming over as rude, Im very tired today): I do not want to modify the hop up chamber, but rather stick M4 magazine internals (heavily modified) into an AK magazine shell.

About the body: Sr25 is the obvious choice for space, but the SR47 actually uses an M4 lower sized body. yesterday I tried sticking an AK magazine (without the protuding part on the front, the lip) and it fits. My idea is to actually just cut up the receiver and modify the AK mag shell (make a hole) to work with the regular, unmodified M4 mag catch.

Ill post pics tomorrow.

I don't see where you're getting this. A 7.62x39mm round with it's casing is pretty much the same length as a 5.56x45mm. Hence it would stand to reason that a regular M4 receiver would be a closer match, and to my eye at least this is clearly the case.

The indentations on the sides of the magwell seem like the only bit that couldn't be done with hand tools.

I don't see where you're getting this. A 7.62x39mm round with it's casing is pretty much the same length as a 5.56x45mm.

The rounds are roughly the same length, but they differ greatly in the mag. An unaltered AK mag cannot in any possible way fit in an AR magwell. If you modify the AK mag though it's possible, but defeats the purpose as the modded mags won't exactly go back on an AK again.

edit:

I'm not basing the above info from pics or anything. I am literally trying to make the two parts make sweet love in front of me but there's no way it's getting in.

I do not want to modify the hop up chamber, but rather stick M4 magazine internals (heavily modified) into an AK magazine shell.

I don't understand. The entire point of the SR47 - both real-steel and airsoft - is that you can use unmodified Kalashnikov-pattern magazines. Why would you create a gun that can only use magazines that you must individually make, knowing that they won't be compatible with anything else? As far as I can see the solution to this problem is getting DarkLite to buy you one of the remaining kits and you recouping the money by not having to gut two magazines to make each one. Or selling other things you want less than a working SR47.

If airsoft was all about performance and suitability, we'd all only have Marui M14s.

I want this for the looks, not to be able to use AK mags I pick up from the field. I use hi-caps, for God's sake...

Anyway: the shell of an AK mag (even with the fin that goes down the back) is roughly the same size as an M4 mag, the AK mag is a bit thicker, but mainly around the protusions on the top.

The internals of the mag: take the top of the internals of an M4 mag (front feeding). Now take the bottom part of an AK hi-cap (spring, wheel, gears, etc.), which is rear feeding. Connect both parts with 6mm rubber tubing, like I did with my extended G3 mag. Finally, use PVC sheet to hold it all together and press it into the AK mag shell.

SANY0012-1.jpg

The rounds are roughly the same length, but they differ greatly in the mag. An unaltered AK mag cannot in any possible way fit in an AR magwell. If you modify the AK mag though it's possible, but defeats the purpose as the modded mags won't exactly go back on an AK again.

edit:

I'm not basing the above info from pics or anything. I am literally trying to make the two parts make sweet love in front of me but there's no way it's getting in.

I see what you mean, but I still think it could be done.The SR47 magwell looks to be somewhat longer because it starts straight from the front body pin, instead of having the body pin go through to two extended 'ears' that are just attached to the front of the magwell. So you would need to cut off and rebuild the front of the magwell.

I've seen a custom piece which used AK74 magazines with a cut-out put in them to engage the M4 mag catch, and then magwell on the m4 was cut at a 45 degree angle (from the front pin to the trigger guard) to allow the magazines to fit in.

That worked, but looked quite strange.

SR47 receiver really is just a bit longer. The magwell clears everything on the mag from the front hook to the lock at the back.

I measured ratios between the magwell and the rest of the receiver and you are correct. The SR-47 receiver appears to be about 5 - 6 mm longer than an M4 receiver. I based this on the picture that's in the OP and two M4 receivers I've got laying around. I still hold however that the way Chas plans to do this, an M4 receiver would be a closer visual match, regardless if it's a good idea or not.

Now that I read Darklites last post and Ive been doing some mockups with MS Paint and Pimpmygun, I more sure that it's is viable, but very unsure of the looks of the final product, whic hw hat this projet is all about.

I have a broken M4 body, so I might just give it a go, nothing lost if I *fruitcage* it up. But I think I should start with the Magazine.

Thanks, Evansy!

Which brings me to a doubt Ive been harboring for some time: the SR25 receivers that are sold separately, do they work with a regular M4 hop up? Im guessing people dont buy the long gearbox for them, just a longer nozzle, right?

Might these offer a much more simple sollution given how you'd be okay with making mags?: http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Magazines_King_Arms_AEG_King_Arms_100rds_AK_Style_Magazine_for_Marui_M4_16_Series_5pcs_Box_Set.htm

Not sure if or how you'd convert them to hicaps though...

Archived