GOL Replica Stock

Docv400

Nearly finished a scratch-built Laminated Stock for an Airsofting friend.

Started it yonks ago, but I never seemed to find enough time to get properly stuck into it.

It's the sort of job I find I can't just do a little bit to now and then, I have to commit a fair amount to it each time.

Anyway, it's getting close now.

As it stood a couple of weeks ago, before I really started attacking it properly with the sanding discs/drums...GGsGOL.jpgIt's made up from a dozen or so sections of Ply, mostly 6mm Birch.

Most of the work (before gluing it up) went into machining all the intricate internal recesses to fit around the receiver, trigger assembly, mag, front mount block and barrel.

The sections were pinned together with 3mm metal rods, so I could assemble and disassemble them many times for shaping, measuring, checking, cutting etc.

Since gluing it's just been a hell of a lot of planing, shaving (Spokeshave) and sanding.

As it stands now...GOLb.jpg?t=1351347658

GOLa.jpg?t=1351347651

GOLc.jpg?t=1351347658

GOLd.jpg?t=1351347658

The front mounting block/mag-latch took around 7 hours solid work...

GOLe.jpg?t=1351347658

False mag bottom...

GGsGOL1d.jpg?t=1350573548

Still need to make the the Trigger-Guard and Butt-Pads (fixed and adjustable).

Also needs some slots in the front, and a bit more sanding before it's ready for painting, and the mags will have a section of Ply bonded to them so they'll not be visible once fitted.

Thanks... :blush:

The original idea was to stain it Green (like some SV98s...I fancy doing one of those next), so the laminate 'pattern' was still visible.

The real one(s) however are either solid wood, or painted (judging by the [only] half-dozen or so pictures I've found on the 'net).

Plus, I'm afraid I miscalculated the position of one of the joins, and it's visible just rear of the bottom of the grip.

If/when I do another, I'll use sections of Ply that are long enough to avoid that.

The future owner is quite happy for it to be painted like the real one.

I was wondering what that crack was doing there. Before you stain it, just fill it up with wood glue mixed with sawdust of the same wood and it should clear right out. If it's already filled in with dried up wood glue then I'm afraid it's really gonna stand out especially if you stain it. You could always stipple it though. Extra work, but it will conceal it plus would look fantastic.

Did you end up putting a shelf round the lip of the magwell to prevent the mags being seated in too far? I didn't notice this was necessary until afterwards... (which is what the slight lip on the marui mags and the internal side bars in the magwell work together to accomplish).

The magwell is shaped around the mag pretty closely.

I still have a little sanding to do to make the mag a perfect fit, so they drop out under their own weight but don't flop around.

The mag can't go too far in as far as I can see, you can push in into place as far as it will go (with the internals out of the stock), and it still feeds OK.

In hindsight, I should have made the magwell a few mm oversize width-wise, and bonded in a couple of thin plastic strips vertically, to act as low-friction guides, I might still be able to do that actually.

The mags will have a piece of Ply bonded to the base to fill the gap in the stock, so they'll be hidden once inserted.

The Butt pads are still to be made.

From what I can tell from the limited info (and pictures) available, it has a fixed pad approx 20mm thick, and an adjustable, shaped rubber one mounted to that.

I'm making the fixed one from laminated 3mm PVC sheet, it will have a 'Dovetail' slot in it to mate with a Dovetail on the adjustable pad.

Not decided how I'll do the adjustable pad yet, but veering towards laminated and shaped from rubber sheet.

Bit more done.

Milled the slots in the Stock, and made the adjustable Butt-pad assembly.

Rear pad is laminated from 15 pieces of 3mm Rubber sheet, bonded together and then sanded to shape.

It has two threaded Alloy inserts embedded inside to accept the 5mm screws that secure it to the base-plate.

The base-plate centre section is raised in the centre, and mates with a groove in the front pad, so it can slide up and down for adjustment.

The two sections are locked together by four 4.6mm ball bearings, which locate in a closed slot milled in the raised section, and are held in place by grub-screws.

This allows approx 25mm of vertical adjustment.

GOL1.jpg?t=1351894050

Trigger guard to do next, and the false mag base(s), then it's ready for paint...I think.

The future owner wants it painted, and as I mentioned earlier, one of the joins in the plies shows up.

I expect I'll be making another stock at some point (got the 'bug' now), I'll make sure I get that one spot-on.

I fancy doing an SV-98/99 next.

• 4 weeks later...

Painting done now...

GOL1d.jpg

I wasn't sure about it when Garry (the owner) asked for it to be painted, but I think it looks OK.

GOL1a.jpgGOL.jpg

I'm going to paint the inside of the slots black, so they stand out a bit more, plus I still have the mag base-cover to make, and also need to attach the dummy mag base, but it's nearly there.

Thanks... :blush:

The original idea was to stain it Green (like some SV98s...I fancy doing one of those next), so the laminate 'pattern' was still visible.

The real one(s) however are either solid wood, or painted (judging by the [only] half-dozen or so pictures I've found on the 'net).

Plus, I'm afraid I miscalculated the position of one of the joins, and it's visible just rear of the bottom of the grip.

If/when I do another, I'll use sections of Ply that are long enough to avoid that.

The future owner is quite happy for it to be painted like the real one.

Archived