In your opinion, what is the most durable Tokyo Marui pistol on green/propane?

Honzo

I was looking at the discussion about the upcoming TM mp7 and concerns about uses with propane/green gas.

That made me think about the TM pistols because I've personally had mixed results with the durability of TM pistols here in the hot southeastern US. Sacsnoopy also made a very good, informative, comprehensive list about his experience of each TM pistol (about metal inserts, design integrity, would be great if he could repost it here).

I want to know your opinion of the most durable TM pistol (in stock form ONLY) on these higher pressure gasses and your current round count, region/country, other comments.

We will assume proper maintenance and care to keep things even!

I'll start first: I find the TM px4 to be the most durable pistol on propane. My round count is 600 so far, my average temp here is 85 degree F, USA. Not a single malfunction.

My glock 17 died a slow death (front cracks). My TM m9 had cracks on the front sides (both). The desert eagle was too precious to risk the green gas and Ive only put about 6 mags of green gas through it then showcased it.

My TM P226 is 5 years old and stock and has run permanently on green gas and it still shoots as well as it did the day I took it out of the box.

TM pistols made after the P226 seem to be bullet proof in performance where the ones made before suffer with silly niggles like broken springs on the M9 and supposed slide failures on hi cappa's due to use of higher powered gas.

Curlyboy

My TM G17 lasted around 2 years on green and abbey ultra (but mostly green) then cracked on the front plate/point of impact.

The final day was green in about 28oc temps and about 600rds through the pistol (should have used the abbey or 144 really, but hey was great fun)

I see this topic on other forums, most answers are vague and lack information. Ambient temperture and gas used will have the most effect, as i understand things, TM are designed for the Japan home market and laws, Japan is a fairly warm/hot country, so lower rated gas is more efficent in the warmer climate and suits the legal power level. Running Green in a TM in 30oc+ temps is not a good idea on the plastic slides as beyond there design.

So i live in the UK, a much cooler country, 134/144 will struggle to cycle some stock TM's in our winter, our summer might hit the dizzy heights of 25oc+ for a few weeks, so i can safely run green nearly all year.

At a wild guess, my G17 must have had around 20,000 rds through it, maybe more as i play pistol only lots, so 500-800rds a day is normal, plus home shooting etc etc, i have played with short stroking and now settled on a frame mounted recoil buffer.

The pistols are well looked after, and only used on airsoft green gas, not propane, inner barrel&hop rubber are Nineball, piston head is Action rest is stock parts and springs and valves. (although i have fitted a Guarder alloy slide to replace the broken plastic one)

Slide tends to get sticky around the 450rd mark, so a quick mid game field strip and relube keeps it going, apart from that no TM mechanical issues or broken bits. Also have a TM G17c got it third hand, had a hard life, not been looked after, most likely been on propane, tatty, basket case, fixed it up, fires like a champ again.

TM MK23, runs on green all year, had it a few years, never had a mag fail or pressure vent, not much to tweek on them, needs minimal cleaning, hasn't seen as much action as the Glocks.

Pistols i don't own.

TM G26, i belive this is one of the more fragile ones, and gas/temp use must be thought about if you are in a warmer country. (did look into getting one)

TM M9's, couple in play where i go, work well in winter, not heavy users so no issues there yet.

TM Pythons, ok a bit different, i was going to get one, second hand, found out it had been used on Guarder Power up gas, walked away from it, due to weak internal design and high PSI gas used. Chap that bought it in the end, emailed me asking if i could fix it as it wouldn't hold gas......told him to check the router system hadn't ruptured and check the seals, belive it's a wall hanger now.

TM P226 went for about 10K rounds, only replacement was the piston cup with a nineball after about 5 years.

TM 1911 MEU - so far 2-3K rounds through it, still looks good as new inside.

TM Detonics - A lot of rounds through it, it's been my primary sidearm for al ong time, and is now my gf's sidearm.

All run on green and or abbey at UK temps.

TM Hi-Capa.

Over here in north EU you cant kill them standard out of the box even on red gas Im the summertime at 30C degrees.

But for the best result keep it standard and it will serve you Well for a long time.

Samsung mobile via Tapatalk

Had a hicapa break on propane gas at 20*C after a fair few mags over the years (plinking). It broke at the rear of the slide where the rear sight is screwed into the blowback unit.

I haven't seen a M1911 break though.

On the Desert Eagle its the metal block behind the blowback chamber which cracks under the stress not the front, but once you removed the broken bits it works fine.

Generally Maruis do work ok with its plastic slides on propane for a while aside from their 5-7 (barrels), XDM (blowback chamber), and Glocks (G17 and 26) but thats because they don't have the appropriate buffers on them (early KSCs had the same issues). Overall Maruis are fairly reliable, but low power output.

On the Desert Eagle its the metal block behind the blowback chamber which cracks under the stress not the front, but once you removed the broken bits it works fine.

I'm beginning to think my Deagle is a rare case, the slide broke at the front where it slams into the frame (as well as the slide lock notch wearing out). So far I'm the only who's had it fail like that.

Plus 'low power output' is about perfect for us Brits :P but I guess the OP is American so that's a legit concern... a KWA might serve better if you're worried about power.

Never had an issue with the TM 1911 series.

The Detonics though is the true star, never, ever fails me on Green or Ultra all year round.

As for how long they last, have had so many with oh so many rounds and pointless racks and plays that I am still suprised that I can slap a mag in, fire all 26 rounds and see it lock back everytime.

'FireKnife'

30000 rounds through a TM 1911 before it chewed up the piston head. Not a single upgrade on or in it, unless you count using green gas all year round as an "upgrade"

P226 is quite reliable so long as you don't go fiddling with it, and of course, the Desert Eagle, until I saw the posts above I'd never heard of one failing.

The TM 1911 / 2011 platforms just keep on going, plus they are somewhat ironic. They have the biggest number of aftermarket repair parts, but it is very unlikely you will need to repair anything as the damn things just keep on chugging. :P

'FireKnife'

The TM 1911 / 2011 platforms just keep on going, plus they are somewhat ironic. They have the biggest number of aftermarket repair parts, but it is very unlikely you will need to repair anything as the damn things just keep on chugging. :P

'FireKnife'

Never looked at it like that but you are bloody right.

I wouldn't exactly call the majority of those parts repair or replacement parts but rather upgrade and/or tuning parts. Since the 1911/2011 platform is so popular over all and for airsoft IPSC then there is a huge demand for upgrades for it.

I wouldn't exactly call the majority of those parts repair or replacement parts but rather upgrade and/or tuning parts. Since the 1911/2011 platform is so popular over all and for airsoft IPSC then there is a huge demand for upgrades for it.

Again, I didn't say the majority were but the TM 1911 / 2011 does have a huge amount of support both in upgrade and repair replacement. So much so that with one or two exceptions I am sure you could build a TM from scratch without a base gun as it where (actually have seen it doen with the few parts that were not available sourced form a long worn out gun). :P

Though as for what you can do with them, anything really. The fact they run on the older, pre-5-7 gas systems that wasn't chugging out as much power is actually a bonus to why they last even longer. Couple in the TM hop and they just work, reliably and accurately. Having had one shoot from appearing out of a lake was quite nice to see.

'FireKnife'

Many of the parts I have tried in a 1911 seem to offer little extra that I would call them 'repair' rather than enhancement or upgrade parts. Unless you class the fact it is made from a different material as an 'upgrade' some of the hop rubbers, steel parts, other companies variant parts and such seem to offer nothing that is really a big difference, some are more personal preference (like putting on a different safety, MSH, trigger) some of them are just the same, but perhaps longer or shorter to compensate for the users requirements.

So really you have repair parts, upgrade parts and requirement parts. One is to replace a broken one, or a damaged one, two is to improve the gun in a way that is universal, as in upping power or speed of shot and three is changing something to suit you that is specific, such as the MSH and the trigger for your hand. :P

'FireKnife'

Archived