In your opinion, what is the most durable Tokyo Marui pistol on green/propane?

Honzo

^

Making it run beyond factory specification for one. Hi-Capas (more so than 1911s) are known to regularly blow their back off in hot places with propane due to the extra weight of the Bo-Mar sights. So you either short stroke it or use a metal slide.

Yes that would qualify as an upgrade but do you really need to make it run a higher pressured gas. Also I have heard alot of bad things about the metal slides for TMs anyone have any experience with these?

Yes that would qualify as an upgrade but do you really need to make it run a higher pressured gas. Also I have heard alot of bad things about the metal slides for TMs anyone have any experience with these?

Most of them, so long as you match them with parts designed to run said metal slide like improved recoil springs and gas routers are fine. Just don't expect the same gas efficiency and the same performance in the cold all the time.

Some can be a bugger to fit and may not give the best blowback but as with all things you need to match up all the parts to get the best out of it. Guarders occasionally have a blip or lemon one but that is rare. :P

'FireKnife'

Most of them, so long as you match them with parts designed to run said metal slide like improved recoil springs and gas routers are fine. Just don't expect the same gas efficiency and the same performance in the cold all the time.

Some can be a bugger to fit and may not give the best blowback but as with all things you need to match up all the parts to get the best out of it. Guarders occasionally have a blip or lemon one but that is rare. :P

'FireKnife'

Thank you for the feedback, as I have wondered about these.

The only ones that have a noticeable issue are the ones for a TM 1911 or Detonics as often the thinner gas storage of the single stack mags often ends up with not enough gas being stored to cycle the gun all 18, 26 or 28 times (depending on the mag you use). This is just something 1911 users have to live with really. You can often get about 20 shots from a 26 round mag but with all the parts and the gun on Green you wont always get the full load off, especially in the cold.

'FireKnife'

Pro: PX4 Storm and P226

Maybe: 1911A1, MEU, Desert Warrior (and the like), Detonics, G17 and G18c

Con: Five Seven and XDM

I own all of the above with the exception of the XDM. I have seen the XDM after a slide cracking failure and the owner had not had the pistol that long. While I've used green/propane in all of my TM's with the exception of my two Five Sevens (I'm happy with Duster and there's too much out there showing green/propane issues) at one time or another, I'm really only confident with the Sig P226 and the PX4 Storm and even then, not when it is very warm.

Generally, when I feel the need for green/propane, I use my KJW 1911A1's, G23's or my "appocolypse pistol" which is a KJW 1911A1 frame with TM Desert Warrior hammer, trigger, rear sight, 4.3 inner and outer barrel, Detonics thumb safety and WE 4.3 metal slide. It wont win a beauty contest, but is shoots super with green/propane.

Pro: PX4 Storm and P226

Maybe: 1911A1, MEU, Desert Warrior (and the like), Detonics, G17 and G18c

Con: Five Seven and XDM

I own all of the above with the exception of the XDM. I have seen the XDM after a slide cracking failure and the owner had not had the pistol that long. While I've used green/propane in all of my TM's with the exception of my two Five Sevens (I'm happy with Duster and there's too much out there showing green/propane issues) at one time or another, I'm really only confident with the Sig P226 and the PX4 Storm and even then, not when it is very warm.

Generally, when I feel the need for green/propane, I use my KJW 1911A1's, G23's or my "appocolypse pistol" which is a KJW 1911A1 frame with TM Desert Warrior hammer, trigger, rear sight, 4.3 inner and outer barrel, Detonics thumb safety and WE 4.3 metal slide. It wont win a beauty contest, but is shoots super with green/propane.

I have only owned the TM 1911, and ran green through it with zero problems. Wonder if that is just the climate difference between the US and the UK

Probably the case. We can get very warm here in the spring/summer months and even this fall was warm before and just after hurricane Sandy.

Thinking of getting the KJW MEU and installing the TM internals in it. Should do ok with green/propane.

Probably the case. We can get very warm here in the spring/summer months and even this fall was warm before and just after hurricane Sandy.

Thinking of getting the KJW MEU and installing the TM internals in it. Should do ok with green/propane.

Would recommend the 5ku 1911 blowback unit as in a warmer climate the stock 1911 blowback unit may fail.

my TM Hi caps 4.3 dual stainless is 5 years old and has been used on propane since day one and has been used regularly. it has never skipped a beat and never let me down. with a range of 30m with all standard components you couldnt find a better stock pistol.

My bro's 1911 has been going for five years on green with no problem although we did once have to strip and lube it when the slide started jamming.

I have two FN 5-7s which have always been fine on green. They both have the upgraded Guarder slides but these are a recent aesthetic addition - had hundreds of mags through them with the std slides and no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived