Have you considered a Safariland holster, too? I believe they make plenty of light-bearing M9 holsters. Custom kydex makers will probably add the railed frame on request, too.

Good review, by the way. I really want an M9A1, even though I'm not really an M9 guy I grew up on the Beretta series. I wish they'd update the classic 92FS and everything else. The policy of introducing new models instead of updating old ones TM has is pretty dumb.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Skin Deep/At a Glance: FPS: Circa 280 w/0.20g BB, depending on weather WEIGHT: A reasonable 0.73kg ACCURACY: Equal to Marui 1911/Hi-Capa/PX4 CONSISTENCY: Provided you don't shoot too fast, it's pe

Quick update - I'm about 1500 cycles into owning this thing, probably 1000 rounds fired and 500 dry-fires. All on Green Gas, all at room temperature of around 23-25 celsius. No alarming signs of wear,

I think I can do better, here's the manual online straight from marui's website:   http://www.tokyo-marui.co.jp/pdf/p_pdfmanual_121127154556.pdf   Cheers

I imagine this thing would die a slow death in the U.S. on propane :(

I'm not so sure, I can't see any particular reason why it would do... It doesn't have an enlarged blowback cylinder or anything. The internal design isn't far off the original M9, it's just had a bit of weight added as well as the decocker function. I mean obviously using any TM GBB in hotter temperatures than the UK is going to increase wear and tear, but the older generation of M9's seem to do okay out there, as do the 1911's/Hicapa's and others. Time will tell obviously, but I'm not seeing any reason to be worried in mine so far.

Ahh fair enough then, that is pretty warm :P

Saying that though, the slide on the M9A1 has a fair bit of reinforcement - The slide rails are metal inserts now, and it appears to be a tougher ABS than the old glossy stuff. I obviously can't promise it won't explode, but it's definitely a much tougher design :)

Less speed = less cracks.

Lube less so the slides don't move that freely ;) (this is half a joke and half something I do. I keep contact surfaces clean and polished, but rarely lubed.)

Well, with the metal rails in the new Marui GBBs the slide is going to get faster and smoother-cycling as the paint and metal wears away. And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't most of the damage to the plastic from the slide slamming into its rearmost limit, then the front? This is why real guns have recoil buffers in their spring housing.

And that is why the PX4 seems to do so well with green gas/propane. It has a nice recoil buffer. Would like to see them on all their pistols.

Yeah, the guns do have to be designed and sized to accept them, though. On some 1911s recoil buffers are there primarily to short-stroke the gun and enhance cycling speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone compared the new M9A1 to the old M9? I'd be interested to see if the frames and slide are close enough that they could be interchanged. With the exception of a notch near the blowback chamber, the slides of the old and new KSC USPs are identical, and I was wondering if this was the same with the Tokyo Marui M9s.

-Vu

The old slide MIGHT be able to accommodate the new internals, maybe with a little work.

The frames look completely different (much closer to my KSC/KWA and the real steel), but from prior experience, most of the internals are held inside a separate chassis, so maybe the frames aren't too different.

The IMI 92FS holster I own looks like it would fit the M9A1. If Hwagan is at the Mall on the sixth, I'll get him to stick his Pistol in my holster [;)] and see if it fits. 

Now a question of my own - For the last 3 years I've had a Beretta 92FS  - Has anyone owned an FS and upgraded to the M19A1? I'm thinking about upgrading, but I'm interested to know what's different about the two [although very excited about the new internals.] 

The M9A1 is going to be inherently more durable as a later TM design, I presume.

You'll be able to mount lights or lasers without a triggerguard mount now. However, even without accessories you might need to change holsters - they make holsters for the M9, and the M9A1, since the rail changes the mold for a leather or kydex design.

The biggest difference, and why I considered getting one was the decocker, which is now functional. It makes holstering the thing actually make sense. Decock, flip off safe, then holster. When you draw you just pull the trigger. On my old Samurai Edge, the safety didn't decock and only blocked firing, so you had to deal with a poorly designed slide-mounted safety when you drew the gun, or pull the mag out to dry fire before you holstered.

My IMI holster looks like it'll already fit a railed M9A1 - there's clearly a space for it there, but not sure if it's big enough - The functioning de-cocker and the rail are definite plusses for me, I think I might pick one up next month and sell on my M92F 

Could do with a reasonably priced M9 for my testing videos, give me a shout when you sell on the M9 :P.

Saying that I could do with one of these when I get back to civilization, holsters shouldn't be an issue seeing as I never use them except for my back-ups.

'FireKnife'

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just picked up one of these, liking it so far, gaming with it this saturday at urban and will probably stick some footage on youtube.

Still getting used to the design despite owning a WA Beretta 5 or so years back. I'm faaar too used to 1911's.

-

Im looking to get a silencer for it, anyone else tried this?

There was a member of the forums who installed a nineball adapter but he kinda mangled the barrel tip to get the friction lock to work.

I've noticed there is a metal barrel/threaded adapter combination from nineball for the m9, however Im guessing from the video that the barrels are NOT interchangeable between the m9 and the new m9a1?

I have noticed one issue..

When used in some cordura holsters( mine for example :(. ), the slide is too easy to push back slightly, and it seems to operate the valve when pushed against the inside of the holster..

I guess a stronger spring would most likely solve this..

Just picked up one of these, liking it so far, gaming with it this saturday at urban and will probably stick some footage on youtube.

Still getting used to the design despite owning a WA Beretta 5 or so years back. I'm faaar too used to 1911's.

-

Im looking to get a silencer for it, anyone else tried this?

There was a member of the forums who installed a nineball adapter but he kinda mangled the barrel tip to get the friction lock to work.

I've noticed there is a metal barrel/threaded adapter combination from nineball for the m9, however Im guessing from the video that the barrels are NOT interchangeable between the m9 and the new m9a1?

I have noticed one issue..

When used in some cordura holsters( mine for example :(. ), the slide is too easy to push back slightly, and it seems to operate the valve when pushed against the inside of the holster..

I guess a stronger spring would most likely solve this..

That'd be me! To be fair the outer barrel didn't need to be too badly mangled, but it was quite unsightly without the thread adaptor fitted. Basically the 9ball adaptor is a friction fit, however it jumps back half a mm or so with each shot, eventually jamming the slide - That being the case, you need to either take some material off the outer barrel to block it from moving back, or find a better way. Unfortunately due to the new design of the hopup, old style outer barrels don't work :(

If you want to stop the slide from moving while holstering, simply decock the hammer and holster the pistol with your thumb on the hammer. That will stop the slide from moving rear-ward :)

I'd recommend putting your thumb on the back of the slide rather than the hammer - If the slide has been cocked and the valve knocker is in the ready to fire position, exerting pressure on the hammer can open the magazine valve a little, which can result in a sore thumb. I learned this the hard way! :P

• Like 1