Hurricane Sandy

PynkPanthyr

Been in many a hurricane/cyclone in the gulf of mexico, and just got off a job in the Pacific where we were hit by a cyclone, only to head into Anchorage, AK for the worst winds they've ever had (134mph in downtown). I'm down in VA on the coast and it was only kinda "meh" for us, as the ground gets saturated is when the real issue is going to start, we are already seeing flooding, but not as bad as further north. You guys up in NJ are in for a double whammy, the flooding from storm surge and initial inundation, and then the flooding while she sits over you and dumps water.... just like Tropical Storm Allison did in Houston a while back.

I actually know the person who posted that picture, saw it earlier on twitter.

So far my town has lost power completely, my house had 4 feet of water in the downstairs at the peak of high tide, and a house no more than 100 feet away from mine was burnt to the ground as fire trucks couldn't reach it. Luckily no one was inside.

I've got it pretty good compared to some of the people closer to the shore, my prayers out to them.

I wonder how long this will take to clear up compared to Katrina...

Is it a poor, impoverished area that is full of minorities while a Republican is in charge?

No, then I think it will be done as quick as they can and with the minimum loss caused. Too bad America could do with things like its military might at home, would be useful to have all those helicopters and heavy duty vehicles to get people away from danger zones.

Just hope it is handled a lot better than Katrina.

'FireKnife'

I'm far enough inland on Long Island to avoid flooding so far, but I did have a 10m tall pine tree miss my house by 2m which was a bit scary.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/281149_465762173473824_2042376664_o.jpg

It appears that I'm in the lucky 10% of the Island to still have power.

A friend in Syosset lost power rather early on in the storm, so yeah it is possible. Not much structural damage except for right on the coast. It is just that the local government owned power company is absolutely abysmal in terms of response time, some parts of the Island are looking at 7-10 days without power.

Apparently they were trying to keep on schedule, to make it to their winter berth and some kind of PR event in Florida. The plan was to head East then hook South behind the storm, but they hooked a little early.

Before their website was taken down, there were postings directed at those cautioning against the voyage, the gist of which was "sailing is risky but we know what we're doing and everything will be fine".

Before their website was taken down, there were postings directed at those cautioning against the voyage, the gist of which was "sailing is risky but we know what we're doing and everything will be fine".

They had simular comment on their FB page too. I've done some scary southern ocean trips and big seas and winds like those are best avoided whenever posible.

On a serious note, I hope everyone in and around the affected areas are getting on okay, and my thoughts go out to everyone who's suffered as a result of it. Natural disasters suck.

On a slightly less serious note, this man is my hero:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/30/man-in-horse-mask-runs-across-news-broadcast-during-hurricane-super-storm-sandy_n_2044399.html

Archived