Hurricane Sandy

PynkPanthyr

Most gas stations here (mine included) are out of gas by today, scuttlebutt is that we may start getting more gas as early as tomorrow/late tonight but I doubt it. Still no word on when power will come back for most people, part of the reason we burned through so much gas so quick is the sheer amount of people running generators. We had 2-3 hour lines at my station and utter chaos even with 4 people on hand controlling the flow.

The south shore of the island and the barrier islands got *fruitcage*ED hard by this, I hadn't gotten a chance to look around until today, for those that don't know Long Island is a long narrow island with even thinner barrier islands to south, a few major roads run east-west along the length of it.

The southern most road on the island itself is Route 27a (Merrick Road/Montauk Highway/Main Street, depending on the town) it ranges anywhere from about a mile from the water to a little more, although canals and channels run right up to it in some spots, for most of the island (until you start heading out east and even then it is spotty) the homes starting about a few blocks south of 27a are basically a total loss, the surge came right of the canals that run pretty heavily down there lots of water. The town I work in lost a few Fire Trucks trying to reach house fires.

One of the bigger beaches was basically washed away, if anyone has every been to Jones Beach the water reached all the way up the Concession Stand and wiped out most of the boardwalk as well.

But its not all bad most of the Island made it through without really a scratch, the only damage being from from fallen trees really, just waiting for LIPA (the local government owned Power Co.) to get the power back on as there was a LOT of damage to the power infrastructure from falling trees/power lines due to all the wind.

Here is some stuff I dug up,

These pictures are from Long Beach(Towards the western end of the barrier islands, very south.)

http://imgur.com/a/mcmB7#6

http://imgur.com/a/uDUXn

This is a before and after shot of Ocean Parkway which runs along part of the barrier islands.

http://i.imgur.com/AbfQz.jpg

my shop is in shambles. its about 5 miles from long beach, below merric road in oceanside and water had come all the way up there. 2 feet of water took out most of the low lying merch and most of the display cabinets. spent 2 days cleaning up and saving most of the drowned merch. decided that since theres no more generators on long island, theres only 3 out of 10 gas stations running in the area, power is not schedualed to be up until at least monday and the areas sewage treatment plant blew up, i decided to drive up to CT and pick up some much needed supplies and a generator. to justify the trip for me, i quit and grabbed everything from my appartment to move back home on the return trip. hopefully i got them enough gas to use until the power and the rest of the gas stations come back up. in my area, the gas stations got so violent, there are now LEOs at every pump. it got so out of hand at one point, someone pulled a sidearm out. its just too much, i had to bail.

Some people are *fruitcage* retarded. A petrol station forecourt. Perhaps one of the mostly densely populated places for CCTV.

If someone said that to me I would simply point at a camera and do the Matrix come hither motion ha ha.

Going on a full week here and I still have no power, my town just absoluted wrecked by this but i managed to get my whole first floor torn apart and thrown away. Things are kinda getting alittle bit of normalcy back. What's good to see is how much neighbors and volunteers and the whole community has come together to help everyone out.

This storm really *fruitcage* sucked.

Archived