PTW clones( DTW A&K etc)

Just a word of warning. I 'upgraded' my barrel and hop for a PTW barrel and hop unit, everything works well, BUT, beware of the DTW front sight post, it doesn't fit the PTW barrel. The front sight post from the DTW appears to be 'AEG' spec, and I can only assume the PTW has either their own (anal) spec or this is a 'real steel' vs AEG thing.

I haven't tried one of gas blowback m4 sight posts because the only ones I would trust to match the PTW spec is my Inokatsu, and I'm not stripping that down for this :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not going to strip the cylinder and hop yet (later tonight). This is just a quick look at the cylinder, hop and barrel and the externals of the gearbox.   The Cylinder is blue anodised and well

It always amazes me the way people think that because the Systema is $1500 it's actually worth $1500. Do you really think it costs Systema more than a couple of hundred dollars to make? Do you think

ok on with the rest of part 2.   I had a look at the gearbox and electrics today. Some good news and some bad news but to keep you in suspense I'll put the bad news nearer the bottom. No sneak peeki

Posted Images

Hop up adjustment in the ejection port=aeg style m4 hop up chamber? Shame it has a plastic body thou.

WHAT!?!?! The Airo Arms has a plastic body? Are you kidding? So it's an automatic fail!! So they make a gun about the same price as a DTW, with a plastic body.....that's gonna sell like hot cakes.

Edit just read the and on ehobby correctly. Wow, seriously a plastic receiver.....fail?

Edited by Inq Eisenhorn

I was still thinking that is a mistake, but ehobby did a magnet test in the video... body is plastic. On a gun priced on 350 bucks... Like for real?!

To be honest, it makes life easier for me. I have 2 DTW's and now I'm glad I took the plunge. I know some people were waiting for A&K and Airo to produce something better, so far both appear to be fails. Most shops stocking the DTW have sold out on their stock......

Still waiting for the g&g version to arrive with the gbox system

Hmm...but that's not going to be a TW. Just a split gearbox AEG.

Was thinking about it the other day, perfect electric airsoft gun would be, a combination of TW and TM Recoil tech.....at WE price point. Now, I'd buy that for a dollar.

To be honest, it makes life easier for me. I have 2 DTW's and now I'm glad I took the plunge. I know some people were waiting for A&K and Airo to produce something better, so far both appear to be fails. Most shops stocking the DTW have sold out on their stock......

fails? because of the plastic body? the Airo kan be programmed for burst fire very easy.

That is a plus selling point, don't know about D&G and A&K.

Either way, the PTW platform is complex, so too cheap generally means fail.

I am just going to save and do what I do with normal AEG's, simply build the damn thing from parts.

Edited by NeoVeNoM

fails? because of the plastic body? the Airo kan be programmed for burst fire very easy.

That is a plus selling point, don't know about D&G and A&K.

Either way, the PTW platform is complex, so too cheap generally means fail.

I am just going to save and do what I do with normal AEG's, simply build the damn thing from parts.

Yes because of a plastic body. The whole point of a TW is that it's as close to 'real steel' as possible, going down the plastic fantastic route is a step away from 'real steel'. More importantly, for a plastic body I would expect to see a much greater price differential over its metal bodied counterparts, the price difference is marginal at best, that's why I say 'fail'. The fact that it's AEG compatible for hop units, therefore inner barrel, makes me wonder if it's AEG mag compatible? This might be a plus, but then again it's another step away from TW 'standards'.

I was still thinking that is a mistake, but ehobby did a magnet test in the video... body is plastic. On a gun priced on 350 bucks... Like for real?!

The magnet test is to display steel parts.

Aluminium, which most receivers are made out of, does not react in a magnet test.

That's not to say it's not plastic; it probably is when they write so.

• Like 1

Furthermore, depending on formulation some stainless steels are not reacting to the magnet. Like the a&k ptw stock tube (definitely stainless steel), and a&k m24 cylinder (stainless too).

IMHO the a&k is a much better made replica when compared to the DTW (have the DTW, friend has the a&k). Time will tell how long they going to last.

IMHO there is no market for a plastic body PTW. PTWs are bought for realism...

The magnet test is to display steel parts.
Aluminium, which most receivers are made out of, does not react in a magnet test.

That's not to say it's not plastic; it probably is when they write so.

Yeah stainless steel on the whole does not respond to magnets. Also I don't get why its used for stuff that is not supposed to be finished in stainless steel. The only point of it is cosmetic (and chemical in the case of cutlery) as far as I know. From my experience it is a lot weaker than even mild steel.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I am still saying the 'plastic receiver' string is a typo on ehobby webshop. Check the product video on ehobby in full hd and full screen, there are clear marks of alu cnc milling, slight paint chipping on the receiver, but for the most important part of the video when it shows the open receiver and pulls the cylinder check the upper receiver part where the back pin goes to the upper when closed. That's clearly has a metalic look.

Over all, it looks to be slightly better than the a&k, because of the programmable burst electronics.

Edited by stefanitsr
  • 2 weeks later...