PTW clones( DTW A&K etc)

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not going to strip the cylinder and hop yet (later tonight). This is just a quick look at the cylinder, hop and barrel and the externals of the gearbox.   The Cylinder is blue anodised and well

It always amazes me the way people think that because the Systema is $1500 it's actually worth $1500. Do you really think it costs Systema more than a couple of hundred dollars to make? Do you think

ok on with the rest of part 2.   I had a look at the gearbox and electrics today. Some good news and some bad news but to keep you in suspense I'll put the bad news nearer the bottom. No sneak peeki

Posted Images

Had my DTW for a few weeks now... and have been evolving nicely.

th_207553617_FCDTW0_resize_122_573lo.jpg

first muzzle selected lasted only mins as it was chewing bb's so quickly removed it.

th_207559903_FCDTW01_resize_122_476lo.jp

first outing went well as my friend installed a custom barrel... and was getting great groupings at 30m
sadly after that outing my friend removed his barrel, and my next outing with orginal barrel was depressingly un-useable... or could have been my poor re-installtion.

th_207561993_FCDTW02_resize_122_58lo.jpg

also sadly the Magpul PTW mag does not fit my DTW... so returned it to the shop.

latest exterior mod install a 2 tone AFG2 and to remove the Mono-pod as its heavy and just not required,

and internally Installed the New DTW Super ECU last week and converted to 3rd brust.... ;)

also my new Custom DTW barrel has just arrived so I will be installing that tonight!

th_207564419_FCDTW03a_resize_122_531lo.j

have indoor game on sunday... with a few girls...  so should be picking up a black cynliner set tomorrow. ;)
can't wait!

:P

Nice video. Emags fit, try them. Where did you get the DTW Super ECU and where do you keep the battery in your DTW, does it fit inside the buffer tube with the mosfet?

thxs,

can't get anymore emags no more.... they all have been banned. :(

I'll have to have a hunt and see if i can find a remaining stash somewhere.

The Super ECU come free with my DTW purchase. although was a ho-sale purchase, but if you want just 1... i could possably be arranged. but you would need DTW mosfet to match... if you not have a DTW gun that is.

That stock is very unquie.  the battery in the video is siting under the check rest.  although you may need a scope riser rail also for this position.

but also with this stock it mounts over a standard 4 position stock tube and extents the stock tube about 5 or 6cm.... so just with the stock extended a little, it creates a cavity beyond the normal stock tube length and the battey can hang out hear and remain concealed.

Although stock lenght would be set to just the last few setings pending on battery size.

My battery lengh is about 10cm... but will have a hunt for a short battery. Bol has a 8cm 11.1v battery I think. ;) 

So after being disappointed in DTW (piston head blew up, the mag internals broke, pistol grip cracked, pmags don't fit) I was on the fence for a while deciding wherever to get A&K or AIRO TW and I ended up buying AIRO (as I was promised the steel inner barrel and the free tiny mosfet by AIRO when it's released (should be any day now).

What I failed to discover before I placed an order is that AIRO *requires* 11.1V LiPos (just like CTW does) to run of which I have none. I've ordered some but for now I can just give you my initial impressions from exterior/build.

First of all my AIRO didn't come in a fancy black box like that in the videos posted on youtube, it came in a plain cardboard box, but the gun was neatly packed inside. The stock end caps, the hex key for the hopup adjustment, the sling mount for the front sight post and the magazine were also nicely packed inside separate from the gun but all together. 

As other people have already noticed while the DTW receivers are black, the AIRO is more of a grey tone to better simulate real steel receivers. However I think AIRO has overdone it -- it's more of a dolphin grey colour, just a bit light. After comparing those two I would honestly prefer the *colour* of the DTW. I was concerned that I'll get the Systema PTW-like shiney buffer tube with AIRO, but mine came matte grey. 

The handguards are much nicer on AIRO than on DTW, they are nicely finished and softer to touch rather than plasticy black on DTW. I'm going to change those to the mid-length magpul ones, so it doesn't really matter to me, but out of the box again AIRO is nicer in that regard.

The stock on AIRO is significantly better than that of DTW. And I don't mean just the lack of the soft pads in DTW, the storage tubes of the AIRO stock are wider, giving you better and softer cheek weld and, more importantly, more room for your batteries. At least until both companies come up with their version of tiny mosfet that matters a lot. I have the (1400Mah I think) 127mm x 20mm x 21mm stick lipo batteries which do NOT fit inside the DTW stock storage tubes, but fit nicely inside AIRO stock. I can carry a stick in each tube in AIRO giving me longer field time without having to carry a battery in a pouch or come away from the field to swap battery. I might switch to something more magpul-ey for the koolaid factor, but the standard AIRO stock is pretty decent (considering the real deal LMT costs about 50% of the whole AIRO TW).

AIRO is heavier and in general feels sturdier/beefier. Feels like you get more bang for your buck with AIRO than G&D. PMAGs fit and drop free (can't comment on how they feed tho yet).

I don't have a PTW anymore and my buddy who does lives quite a bit away from me, so I haven't checked, but supposedly AIRO receivers are 100% compatible with Systema/Celcius, which is sweet -- higher availability of the after-market stuff.

Now to the negatives:

1. The pins holding the front sight post barely held and fell out when I lightly tapped on them with the allen key. Much to my relief as I don't like co-witnessing sights and wanted to remove it anyways, but might be a concern to some.

2. According to the technical image on the accompanying CD, the motor is not held in place by two pins like on Systema PTW. I haven't bothered to remove the grip to verify that, but that's what the diagram said. Also supposedly there's no bearing/bushing between the motor end and the motor plate which you screw on to hold grip in place. But then again the diagram doesn't show a hex screw next to the hopup key to hold assembly in place and there's one in reality, so I don't know how accurate it is.

3. The castle nut wasn't screwed on very tightly, so one might need to be careful about handling AIRO TW by the stock. 

4. Delta-ring assembly tho is so tight I couldn't unscrew it without a vise.

5. Given the length of the mosfet, putting the ASAP plate on without taking the gearbox/wires out was pain in you know what. Had I needed to do it again, I would have stripped the lower completely and that would have probably saved me time.

6. Large tamiya plug on the coiled battery cord. 

As soon as I have the batteries I will compare DTW and AiroTW using the same cylinder (DTW shot just fine with the AIRO cylinder of course) and will be able to comment on how well PTW PMAGs work in Airo.

Actually it looks like Celcius has been outsourcing the manufacturing of their CTW to a factory somewhere and now their licence/contract have expired and the OEM has started selling same guns under their own brand name. So essentially you get a CTW for half-price.

Now the plug -- I've ordered from asiarsoft.com and they took some time to ship (because I asked them to upgrade the spring in the cylinder, measure the actual fps and compose the letter of compliance for the Canadian customs), but once they shipped it EMS on Tuesday I've had it in my hands Friday of the same week and that included having spent almost 12 hours at customs. I've had much better pre-sale and post-sale experience with them than with the certain Canadian retailer which I got DTW from and which will remain nameless.

the AIRO is just a DTW upgraded with CTW parts..
Comes in a DTW box with stickers removed and little Airo sticker added. lol.
And if i had know that i may have got the Airo instead.
but with that said i'm still very happy with my DTW, and have yet to have any major issues with it.

but with that said i'm still very happy with my DTW, and have yet to have any major issues with it.

I don't know why would you say that because:

1. The AIRO box internal padding design is not the same as of DTW box.

2. AIRO receivers do not fit DTW receivers (not to mention different quality/weight/colour).

3. Every AIRO furniture (not only plastic parts, but the metal parts like carry handle and buffer tube) is not the same as DTW.

4. The flash-hider barrel threading on AIRO is different from DTW (DTW I think is standard AEG and AIRO is PTW/milspec).

5. As you said yourself, the electronics are different.

So from my experience, AIRO is NOT the DTW stuffed with CTW electronics.

Sorry, I might have missed this, but Ehobby was stating the Airo receivers are plastic!?! Is this true? I'd have thought that would be a big talking point, but I had to ask :)

Edit# looks like Ehobby has updated their page! Question answered.

Edited by Inq Eisenhorn

And yes, ehobby had their information messed up, AIRO receivers are metal.

They have a 12 year old non-airsofter with very poor english for a uploader.... :D

So theres alot of cut and paste going on... And no one fact checking 

But one can only blame the quality of management.

Expect more of the same.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:16 AM

I don't know why would you say that because:

1. The AIRO box internal padding design is not the same as of DTW box.

2. AIRO receivers do not fit DTW receivers (not to mention different quality/weight/colour).

3. Every AIRO furniture (not only plastic parts, but the metal parts like carry handle and buffer tube) is not the same as DTW.

4. The flash-hider barrel threading on AIRO is different from DTW (DTW I think is standard AEG and AIRO is PTW/milspec).

5. As you said yourself, the electronics are different.

So from my experience, AIRO is NOT the DTW stuffed with CTW electronics.

i wouldn't have said it...   if there wasn't some form of facts involed.

I brought a DTW one week...  a friend brought the Airo a week later... the packaging and polystyrene is exactly the same!

minius the stickers... and the flappy card cover over the DTW polystyrene.

note the removed stickers from the end of the Airo box...

th_072649521_Airo02_resize_122_379lo.jpg

and the top...

th_072644736_Airo01_resize_122_198lo.jpg

the stickers are removed... in extactly they same size shape and location... as on a DTW box.

th_072670214_AiroDTW_resize_122_384lo.jp

And Note the front peice of polystyrene of the Airo model.

th_072653450_Airo04_resize_122_17lo.jpg

th_072661456_Airo06_resize_122_33lo.jpg

and the DTW polystyrene...

th_072674160_AiroDTW2_resize_122_209lo.j

The rear polystyene was also exactlly same.

And 1 + 1 is still 2 in my book... 

Also note the marks on the outter barrel above where the front sight has been removed / re-installed.

So why would one company recycle another companies packaging? 

That just doesnn't happen.... unless... is a pure "re-label" or upgraded model.

Although i'm unsure what remains of the orginal DTW, or maybe its some manufactureing arangement and they both are from one factory.

Maybe the one above is a early / older model... and maybe you have received yours in differant packageing.... but the above wouldn't happen even just once... without some form of connection.

B)

Edited by The Insider

DTW has 14mm anti-clockwise threads, PTW has same (or clockwise, not sure) but with collar. Mil-spec has 1/2" (12.7mm). Can you measure it? 12.7mm is uncommon for AEG (and PTW too). I know only Vanaras outer barrel has it.

Edited by Swappp