Arnies Build Competition: Q&A

Not a question so much as some observations;

1. This is a great idea.
  2. It needs prizes.
  3. The best bit of custom gunsmithing is the actual gunsmithing. To show off gunsmithing, you need a good thread, so this competition needs to incentivise a good build thread; lots of pictures, clear structure, good spelling and grammar - the works. Can you offer the writer sole posting rights for their thread? Do only approved competitors have the right to create threads?
  4. If you want inspiration for how to run such a thing, have a look at the custom PC build threads on Bit-Tech.net.

Did I mention this is a great idea?

The best bit of custom gunsmithing is the actual gunsmithing. To show off gunsmithing, you need a good thread, so this competition needs to incentivise a good build thread; lots of pictures, clear structure, good spelling and grammar - the works. Can you offer the writer sole posting rights for their thread? Do only approved competitors have the right to create threads?

Anybody who wishes to enter the competition need merely declare so by sending over a quick PM my way.

After that, it's left upto the individual. As was explained in the main competition guidelines thread - you may choose to create your own thread to which you can update as you make progress, with pics and guides, etc. Or, you can proceed with your build until the entries are actually made at the end of the 11 months. In which case, yes, its a shame that the rest of us didn't witness the project take shape, but we aren't going to force everyone to document their builds.

In terms of sole posting rights - members may wish that there build thread stays uncluttered. In which case they merely have to make a note of it in their first posts. Should there still end up being any unwanted or unecessary posts made by other users then they can ask myself or a moderator to clean up their thread.

I'm a little unsure as what you mean regarding approved competitiors Pure. If I'm reading it correctly then, my response is: Yes, only those who have entered the competition can post up there own build threads in the dedicated competition sub-forum. However, that's sort of by default, I mean I can't understand why any non-competitors would be making threads in the competition area? Perhaps I'm just not reading your question correctly?

In terms of sole posting rights - members may wish that there build thread stays uncluttered. In which case they merely have to make a note of it in their first posts. Should there still end up being any unwanted or unecessary posts made by other users then they can ask myself or a moderator to clean up their thread.

That's what I wanted to know. Nothing ruins a build thread like odd or silly questions.

I'm a little unsure as what you mean regarding approved competitiors Pure. If I'm reading it correctly then, my response is: Yes, only those who have entered the competition can post up there own build threads in the dedicated competition sub-forum.

That's exactly what I meant. What I was thinking about was some of the all-mouth-no-metal dreamers who create four threads in the Projects forum migrating in here, and how best to discourage them. That only competitors can create threads here is what I was asking - perfect!

On the other hand, of course, nor can we force competitors to actually make an entry at the end. There may be a number of reasons why they have to back out and not bother completing their builds.

@DrAlex - Well, yes, purportedly an annual affair, but, whether it carries on depends on how smoothly it runs this year, I guess.

EDIT: Pure, it has occured to me that I never really responded about the prizes. We decided over in the Regs chatroom whilst discussing this competition that prizes, as you have pointed out, would indeed be preferable and perhaps even necessary to encourage a good level of participation and reward.

However, in order not hinder the posting of the competition, I decided to go ahead with it for now. I'm sure that as the competition develops pace over the course of the year that prizes may acquired through various means.

Great idea! I get access to a lathe an a little CNC router this year (although I have to mount and configure the router and I'm very bussy this year) and I want to test them.

As I don't know If I will have enough time, could I start my projects without being on the competition and, if I see I could finish them, joing later?

If I finish one project, could I start with another one to this competition? I have severals ideas, and all of them are gas blowback or shell ejector...

@DEVILHUNTER - You're free to enter as and when you'd like over the course of the year. Nothing is too solidly set in stone in terms of weapons either. The basic rules that apply here are - you may only enter one weapon per member and it has to be a 'truly' custom piece. So, if you have a number of ideas then I suggest that you put some thought into them and then at some point decide which is the best one to put forward for the competition - then you can put your name down when you know whether you'll be able to contruct it.

@Murdoc - I'm a little lost mate, what do you mean by 'copyright' exactly?

Right, yeah, I get you now.

Well, I can't personally see it becoming a big issue. Not least because imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

But members are free to keep their builds 'secret' until the end of the comp year if they are worried about that sort of thing. Sharing the build process is encouraged though, simply because the journey is often half the fun of the holiday, so to speak.

Good good, glad to hear you're on board.

I'm in a quandry over my own build aswell RC - I've got about 4 or 5 different ideas floating around atm. I need to consider the cost and practicality of each but I also need to make sure that I have a significant enough WOW factor, especially given that I've got a year for the build.

Archived