Arnies Build Competition: Q&A

count me in too. the project will be between me and a friend. at the moment it shall be a secret until the time is right and construction has started, but there is a little hint somewhere on these forums, you just have to find it.....

look forward to the next year :)

I've been designing and gathering info on scratch-building GBB full-auto AA-12 for the last couple of years, and now I've got access to some machinery I may actually be able to build some parts. Whether I'll get it finished by 2013 is a different matter, but if I make some good progress I'll be sure to post up!

I may need a bit of a hand with some parts however, such as a detailed strip-down video of the M1100 semi-auto gas engine / shell ejection, and help with producing some of the more complex / precise parts (I can make them as a CAD file).

Many years in the planning and likely making, but I'm working on it ;)

• 1 month later...

Can my Remington XP-100 count as my entry? Kinda bummed to find out Sun Project used to make them a long time ago, like when great big lizards roamed the earth. If it doesn't it's ok; I'll still finish it but I'll have something else to take its place.

No. It can't.

You need to make more custom doodads[10 internetz pointz for anyone who remembers where that came from], it's the only way :P, It's your own fault for being so good :P

• 4 weeks later...

I've been designing and gathering info on scratch-building GBB full-auto AA-12 for the last couple of years, and now I've got access to some machinery I may actually be able to build some parts. Whether I'll get it finished by 2013 is a different matter, but if I make some good progress I'll be sure to post up!

I may need a bit of a hand with some parts however, such as a detailed strip-down video of the M1100 semi-auto gas engine / shell ejection, and help with producing some of the more complex / precise parts (I can make them as a CAD file).

Many years in the planning and likely making, but I'm working on it ;)

Howdy snakebitey, let me know if you would like to have your name officially entered into the list of competitors for the contest. No pressure though - I can tell that your ideas are somewhat preliminary :)

Can my Remington XP-100 count as my entry? Kinda bummed to find out Sun Project used to make them a long time ago, like when great big lizards roamed the earth. If it doesn't it's ok; I'll still finish it but I'll have something else to take its place.

It can indeed. I don't see why not, it seems like a fittingly unique and fine looking piece for a competition entry. I have linked your build thread into the list of competitors. However, being one of the more prolific builders amongst our ranks, if what you would like to use as your entry changes, just let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking (dangerous, I know),

When it comes round to the voting (not for another 7 months so don't worry) perhaps we should seek to parallel our great sport's integrity and extend Arnies tradition of gentlemanly conduct by instigating a policy of not voting for our own entries?

So, basically, each of the contestants would allocate their vote to one of the other entries, which ever they think is most worthy. Afterall, we are humble fellows.

• 2 months later...

Sounds great, mate.

If you fancy making it official then just send me a quick PM whenever you like and I'll put your details on the list of competitors.

In answer to your question, no, it is just one entry for each competitor as per the competition rules:

"4. Please note that regrettably, due to the potential volume of entries, only one weapon may be entered per member".

• 3 months later...

I am pleased to announce that kudos may no longer be the only reward for your efforts guys.

I have successfully arranged for the sponsorship of the competition by Firesupport Airsoft.

Firesupport has very kindly offered to supply 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes - £100, £50 and £25 worth of store vouchers respectively.

They have also kindly agreed to continue to support the Arnies Custom Build Competition for next year - hopefully with even more entries and even better prizes.

For those of you who don't know, Firesupport are one of the largest and most well established UK airsoft stores. The fantastic guys behind the shop have earned Firesupport consistent recognition for its customer service - receiving the award for UK airsoft retailer of the year multiple times.

Please note that in the event of the competion producing non-UK-based winners then all the necessary arrangements will be made to ensure that the winners in question receive the full value of their prize in some form or other. Even if this means that I personally redeem the vouchers at FS and transfer over the cash equivalent to a US based entrant, etc.

• 4 months later...

Please continue to throw any questions, you may have, my way - either in here of via PM.

And make sure you sign up if you want to take part.

There are 10 months left to complete your builds, don't say I didn't warn you.

ACBC 2014? Okay, this time I'm in and willing to do it. I got 80% of materials, all I'm missing is the pistol grip, magazine, flash hider and maybe the stock.

I'm building (at least) two guns anyway. It's not like I'm making more entries specifically for increasing my chance of winning,  they were both planned before I saw that Arnie's was even holding a competition. I figured that it'd be nice to be able to enter both when they're done instead of trying to figure out which entry would maximize my chances of winning.

But if I chose one, the other will grow up jealous of its sibling and hate me, eventually killing me and making it look like I died of natural causes before conveniently announcing that it would get my inheritance D:!  

... More seriously though, I'll be posting my build thread some time soon.

• 3 months later...

I have a small announcement to make. I shan't be entering a build into the competition myself this year. Simply because I just don't have the time to put together my M60 project currently. I apologise if this feels like I am not leading by example. Which is what you may say when you hear what I have to say next...

Everyone who is currently working on a project - why not set yourself a deadline to complete it by the end of the year and enter it into the ACBC competition?

We desperately need to see more entries for the competition in order to make the voting more exciting for us all. Currently there are just 7 entrants (excluding myself now, of course) and based on last years dropout rate that means just 2 of those are likely to be completed and voted upon.

So please tell your friends about the competition and get them involved.

We have reached the half way house, there are just 6 months to go until voting opens, don't say I didn't warn you :)

Archived