• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Jim Zubiena

Stop watching too much Miami Vice.

angled foregrip? HK21e?

The width of the P90 mag is just about as much as the MOE so seen from the front it's like a letter D laying on its side. The only angle a grip at the side could make would be like a sten magazine. In all seriousness though, it's not that bad, like holding a P90 mag.

Stop watching too much Miami Vice.

The width of the P90 mag is just about as much as the MOE so seen from the front it's like a letter D laying on its side. The only angle a grip at the side could make would be like a sten magazine. In all seriousness though, it's not that bad, like holding a P90 mag.

No, I like it :P.

And as I said, why not a Sten like grip?

'FireKnife'

you could have the p90 mag on the side of the gun, it would be a homage to the Halo smg. doing so would mean that you could more easily line up the mag feed tube with the location of the hop up in the gun. it then leaves room for a fore grip and then if you wanted you could use the orginal mag well as the ejection port like the ar 57.

this may be a bit complicated, especially for a system that will probably be wholly made from plastic, but think of this. you could make the whole barrel and hop up chamber rotate about 30 to 45 degrees under spring strength outwards to the left (or right if your left handed) off of the right of the bottom of the chamber is an l shaped plate that the mag will butt up against during insertion. this will make the feed port of the hop up roll into the feed port of the magazine eliminating the need to move the magazine down first and making everything a little more streamlined. plus, with the spring strength, when the mag catch is hit, it will eject the mag out forcefully rather than having to grab and jimmy it out.

if you cant see what i'm saying, i can try to draw a picture. being that the new position of the hop up will be in front of the receiver, you can hide the system in the hand guard and you really wont have any odd looking moving external parts.

you'll have to redesign the gas block i think.

you can make the mag catch grab onto the plate attached to the hop up unit. youll have to change the mag catch, but i do not think you'll have to touch the mags. with the plate holding the hop up unit in, the hop up unit and plate will hold the mag in.

Actually why not just combine both original ideas?

Why not make a section that looks like say a M203, the ribbed section, sans the trigger and trigger guard that you can slide over the P90 magazine, attached to the MOE handguard as a sleeve, then on the reload you unclip a catch, slide it forward and this exposes the magazine allowing you to remove it, pop in a new one, slide back the grip and flick the catch back on?

'FireKnife'

No, wait, what was I saying. No sleeve. NO SLEEVE! That End of Days MP5 keeps resurfacing like a turd that won't flush. Ok, best solution for the ergo problem (not that I see it as a problem): make a rubber sleeve over the mags or simply hot glue a section of Knights Armament rail cover at the bottom to make it more rounded.

Why not put a mount on the MOE hadguard, then a rail that is at a 45 to 90 angle then a foregrip, so it is attached on the side but it pointing downwards, though that wouldn't make it very ergonomic. :P

It just seems like due to mag placement you will need something to cover it up as holding a P90 mag wont be fun, plus if you pull at it too hard it might dislodge or dmagae it or the gun?

'FireKnife'

Using sleeves would warrant the use of hi-cap, or having complicated magazine switches.

How about borrowing what works for the P90 and TMP? Add a permanently attached foregrip, possibly with the upper connect wide enough that it doesn't affect the magazine changes. Basically, have it shaped like Y with a more U like upper fork? Another possibility would be to make it work like MP7 foregrip, so that it can be be folded up out of the way, and folded down when the stability is needed?

Personally I'm not bothered at the least by the lack of a proper grip so it's more an exploration of ideas in case something really good comes out of it if you mix them all together. The exposed see through mags look cool and they're not all that bad to hold. I mean, there were phones in the 90s with poorer ergonomics than a P90 mag but people still held on to them like it would save their lives.

I'm kinda on same feel, P90 magazine aren't 'that' bad to hold onto. Was just thinking that in case you're not utilizing the mag release of the MP5 body, one could fasten an L-shaped spur there with attachment rail for grip or laser or grip-and-laser... :D

It's highly unlikely that I'll be able to use the original mag release lever, but whatever I'm putting on it (as per the illustration) will have similar operation but catch on the mag detent like an AK lever.

edit:

hk57-2.jpg

Dammit. Why did I have to start messing with the most expensive optic first. Somebody tell me it looks balls quick and save me from potential financial ruin.

It looks pretty cool.

:P

Normally I'm ambivalent toward MagPul stuff, but here it looks great! I really like this concept.

And renegade, as tricky as it may be I think you should try to come up with some badass reloading method where you hit the mag catch and the mag pops out sideways at an angle, you pull it out then push a fresh mag in at an angle then slap it parallel with the rest of the gun and it locks in :D Like how an EGLM or M320 is loaded. Would be awesome!

Then you can have a section of rail/grip under the mag. I'm not in the 'mag is uncomfortable' camp, I was just struck by how awesome the above reloading concept is :P

Archived