Comfort of mesh lower face protection

Bareknuckle

I have recently been thinking of replacing my paintball mask with a set of flakjaks and some mesh lower face protection, so I grabbed one of these http://www.ebairsoft.com/camo-metal-mesh-half-face-mask-p-4365.html. I dunno if I am wearing it improperly, but as is it is so uncomfortable I cannot stand wearing it. With the strap adjusted so that it will hold on tight, it is basically smashing itself against my chin. That seems the be the only point of contact it makes with your face to stay on.

I am thinking about trying one of these instead http://www.ebairsoft.com/camo-metal-mesh-half-face-mask-p-4365.html and I am wondering if I can expect a better fit from this lower mask, or if they all suffer from this issue.

FYI : The two links you provide point to the same mask. Now that said, these lower face mesh masks are basically designed to be adjusted (bent to the form of your face) the instant you receive them. Everyone's face is different, so you'll want to adjust the top areas to fit your own face, especially the areas that contact your cheek bones and bridge of your nose.

Now, before you go throwing your money at EBAirsoft, while they have ok masks, you're better off spending some extra coin on a BlackBearAirsoft mask available through ACMGear.com:

http://www.acmgear.com/shadow-gen3-c-230_270.html

Regardless of which Mesh Mask you get, you need to bare in mind that they all (including the originals made by BrassGuard) used glue to hold the webbing onto the perimeter of the mesh, and with enough heat from sun exposure it can peel off. I personally like to see the edge material down by hand upon receiving the mask. It's a lot easier to do when the webbing is still stuck onto the mesh rather than when it starts to peel off from heat.

Ah, I see. Thanks for catching the link problem! The other type of mask I was referring to was this one http://www.ebairsoft.com/strike-metal-mesh-cutting-mask-khaki-p-4651.html

I notice that the similar mask style to mine from Black Bear uses a different type of straps. Would these help make the fit more comfortable? On mine, there is an elastic band that connects the upper and lower straps that go around the top and back of the head.

The mask you posted originally is one I bought, albeit in a different colour, and no matter what I did, I just couldn't get it comfortable. Other people I know have had the same issues whilst others (usually larger gentlemen, but not always) have found them fine.

I have the original brassguard BAT which this http://www.ebairsoft.com/strike-metal-mesh-cutting-mask-khaki-p-4651.html is a clone of.

I find it to be extremely comfortable and works well with a goggle and helmet set up. You do have to spend a bit of time molding it to your face. Also this won't work if you have comms though.

I have the original brassguard BAT which this http://www.ebairsoft.com/strike-metal-mesh-cutting-mask-khaki-p-4651.html is a clone of.

I find it to be extremely comfortable and works well with a goggle and helmet set up. You do have to spend a bit of time molding it to your face. Also this won't work if you have comms though.

Totally agree , I (and most of my team mates) also have original Brass guard lower face masks , plus I have one of those Ebaybanned ones and there's no comparison . Once moulded to the shape I wanted the brass guard is really comfortable , but I did ad an extra strap so I have one on top of my head and the original to go around the back of my melon .

Big difference between them for me is the quality of the mesh , Brass guard mesh is a lot stronger and holds the shape you mould it to a lot better than the Ebaybanned ones do .

As to comm's never had a problem with inner-ear or Bowman type comm's and a mate used sordins fine with his .

The BlackBearAirsoft masks are the only ones that IMO come close to the quality I have seen in my Brass Guard masks. All others tend to be flimsy, get bent out of shape easily, and comparatively unsafe (well, I wouldn't want my chicklets behind those EBAirsoft masks).

The BlackBearAirsoft masks are the only ones that IMO come close to the quality I have seen in my Brass Guard masks. All others tend to be flimsy, get bent out of shape easily, and comparatively unsafe (well, I wouldn't want my chicklets behind those EBAirsoft masks).

110% agreed with uscmCorps, I got one of the first BBA mesh masks, probably first batch, and after wearing it almost in every game since purchase, it is still good as new. Only thing I had to make to mine at arrival was adjusting the straps , bending it a bit to fit my face better and wear it for some time to be sure I made it properly.

My not so handosme face thanked me the purchase :lol:

All right, it would seem then that the wacky strap configuration on my mask is the culprit as to its basically unwearable level of comfort. Looking at the links of the comfortable ones posted, it would seem that using two adjustable velcro straps instead of two bizzare fused elastic straps is a much superior way of wearing one of these.

I'll keep the quality issue in mind and look at the Brassguard and Blackbear models as well.

Fortunately, comms won't be an issue for me since I am ridiculous. I honestly bought the skull mesh mask to repaint it into a troll face. This is what I roll for communication http://www.ebairsoft.com/element-h250-military-phone-p-2589.html

I have tried both th Brassguard and the cheep ones from Taiwangun.

Crashtestet them both with an M180 sniper from 20m and a highspeed rof 35 up close

and both did well and not remarkebly different.

However the cheaps ones do seem to go out of shape easilier and the paint is not as goos as on a Brassguard.

I still shape mine after using it for app. 2 years now but my headset has found its way into it as well

Having tried the Black Bear and Bitter End lower half masks, as well as 3-4 different chinese copies of varying standards and designs, I came to the conclusion in the end that following uscm's guide to attaching a plastic lower half mask to a set of goggles was the best way to go. Especially where cheek weld is concerned, though obviously that'll vary depending on the individual's facial structure and the type/shaping of the lower-face pro they choose.

There's a link in uscm's sig to the thread he started where I've posted some pictures and my thoughts about the setup with a nice little bullet-pointed list of the advantages.

I own this copy and like it also very much. Once you bent it to the shape you need it's comfortable to wear and goes along with goggles and helmets. (And also headsets)

The problem with all these masks is that there all based off brassguards original design but some have better strap set ups . Basically these masks are only as good as you can make them fit or you happen to have the right shaped face already . Then you have to tackle how they fit to your eye wear unless it happens to be the right contour.

Archived