Review - Umarex M27 IAR GBB4 HK416

Introduction -

For many months, Umarex has hinted at an upcoming GBBR M27 throughout the various airsoft news websites and forums. Many have speculated that this is nothing more than a fancy upgraded HK416 and because it was outsourced, manufactured by VFC, many have decided to take a wait and see approach to this weapon. The track record for VFC's GBBR M4 and HK416 have not been well received. Many have discussed about the stress fracture on the 1st gen BOLTS and premature wearing down of firing pins because hammer struck the firing pin too hard when dry firing. Let me start this review process with the following caveats:

• I have been shooting airsoft since 1996
  • Mostly Tokyo Marui based *STOCK* guns (including: Desert Eagles Hard Kick2, MK23 SOCOMM Non blow back, PSG-1, Aug Steyr Military. etc...)
  • GBB pistos includes (KSC G17, Maruzen P99, WE Baby Hi Cappa, KSC MK23, etc...)
  • This is my FRIST GBBR ever and until recently (last 8 months) didn't even realize GBBR has become a reality.

I have no pre-conceived knowledge on the PROS or CONS of Brand X vs. Brand Y vs. Brand Z. The review you are about to read is from my POV and so feel free to take what information you have received with a grain of salt.

Inital Impressions -

I had to order this unit from one of the Hong Kong airsoft shops and it had to be delivered in seperate packages to ensure successful delivery and avoiding seizure by U.S. Customs, I live in NY. The first part of the order came in first with the gorgeous hardcover case and upper reciever. The upper receiver is absolutely STUNNING the HK trades on the SIDE of the receiver to the markings on the RAIL, down to the HK logo etched right onto the GAS bolt is truly a magnificent piece of engineering/art! The lower receiver arrived about two weeks later and again the same level of detailing came across for the lower receiver as well. The fire selector is ambidextrous but plastic(?) too hard to tell, but it is CRISP and you can hear/feel the *SNAP* of the fire selector switch as it is changed from MODE to MODE. The adjustable stock is a modified HK(?) crane stock and is great new design because the lever is FLUSH with the stock, recessed and pistol grip and stock have has *hidden* compartments for storing small items.

I quickly attached the upper and lower receivers together and locked the body pins in place, pulled the charging handle back and cheated the BOLT catch lever so the bolt locked back even without magazine in receiver. The grin on my FACE was stretched wide and my glimmered with lust when the BOLT release was pressed and the BOLT slammed HOME. WOW! Why oh why did I wait so long before buying a GBBR?!??

Operation -

I have already fired about 40+ mags have been fired so far and I have yet to encounter any major issues with the unit. The unit chrono in about 425FPS on the initiial first few shots with a fully charged magazine using .25 precision BBs. No noticible/perceptable drop in power/speed untl about 12~14 rounds later. The last few rounds of BBs clocked in around 345~360 FPS. On a full (over 45 secs) of GREEN gas load, the magazine was able to completely empty 35+ BBs and then still able to dry fire for at least another 15 before needing any additional gas. After hurricase Sandy blew through NY, two large trees have fallen across my back yard and effectively destroying my outdoor test range so accuracy tests currently not available just yet. Ditto on testing HOP UP. The FPS was gathered from shooting in my basesment but isn't long enough to test accuracy of unit. I did bring the M27 into one of my local Airsoft dealers and they were loving the unit. One guys was so happy that unlike the KWA LM4, the charging handle will allow for power charging unit. On this unit just like in Real Steel, by pulling the charging handle back even gun is on saftey, the BOLT will simply be released and return to close position. The two techs on site were impressed because the KWA version MUST always use the BOLT release button to release the bolt.

Concerns -

I have reviewed most of the posts on this forum and others and have gleaned that this unit suffers from perceived poor craftsmanship and spooty eliability marks this unit with only a very SMALL handfull of users who are truly interested. I have spoken to some of you already and have a good idea of what you are looking for. Please see the attached pictures and let me know if they are adequate and I will try to answer as best as I can.

Pictures -

Sorry for the indirect link to pics, the pics were all over the file size restrictions.for Arnie's... See URL below and do let me know if you should have any additonal questions/concerns.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/1405459357/albums/m27-iar

Conclusion -

Easily one of the BEST gun purcahses I have ever taken. Unikt shoots hard and rewards users with a CRISP recoil letting you know that one of your bbs is heading down range and should be hitting you target. The unit was already a nice gun as is but when it comes in a HARD CASE and speed loader included, it just made this unit that much more fun special to collect and own.

Edited by lonewolf69
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful, VFC is definitely one of the best when it comes to externals. Iwas wondering on the reliability as I've been considering a hk416 and my friend badly wants the hk416c, can't wait to hear future updates in that regard. Also as an FYI for your friend, a 15 minute or so mod and his LM4s charging handle will function as you mention. Check out my YouTube page, GeckoActual.

Quick questions... Have you tried emptying a whole mag in full auto? Have you had many jams when you shoot the gun? I was looking into getting a 416c and was actually at the stores in Hong Kong to buy one. But like you mentioned, lots of ppl have had problems with VFC gbbrs and my friends talked me out of it, and I went for a GHK AKS-74U which I have fallen in love with. But I'm still very interested in this 416c. I have loads of ppl here in HK telling me to stay away from VFC guns or they need modding before they will run smoothly.

@Akira - Thx for the info, regarding the 15min mod to the KWA LM4... :) I'll let my friend know about this, but he was just commenting that out of the box the HK416 M27 IAR was super sweet and he *liked* that the charging handle worked exactly like the real steel out of box without mod...

@Hitman - Yes, I've emptied the MAG on full auto once or twice, but it's so ***FAST*** at 30+ rounds, you don't get to ENJOY the M27... So I like to experience the FULL GBBR experience in SEMI, and every once in a blue, I'll try a few quick bursts of FULL AUTO... LOL.

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned this in my original review, I'm mostly a collector and part time *PLINKER* shooting tin cans and such out of my back yard, I don't go skirmishing on indoor/outdoor fields but when I do, it's usually my stock Marui's (INDOOR) for under 300FPS or upgraded AEG for outdoor @ 400FPS. The HK416 M27 for me will NEVER go out for skirmishing as it's too gorgeous to get beat up! So I don't know if I'll be as reliable of a source to let you *ALL* know about it's performance. Hence the CLOSE up shots I have taken (see OP) for HK BOLT and HK416 Trigger assembly/Lower Receiver. At 40+ mag changes without jamming and some FULL auto shooting, you can see the wear/tear on the unit and make your own conclusions. As stated this is my FIRST GBBR and I'm sure it will NOT be the last, but will continue to update/post as I continue to use the M27...

That being said, I don't think your HK friends are *wrong* about VFC's GBBRs in general but judging on the pics from the *other* review I read about half way down the GBBR reviews here on this forum. My M27 seems to have the newest BOLT and so far seems to be much sturdier than the 1st gen that was posted. I would circle back with your HK buddies and ask them again about the upgraded bolt (PS. Not STEEL, I checked with magnet, pretty solid and extremely well made so I'm going to assume ALUMINUM and not cheap pot metal)

To ALL - Please do keep the questions/comments coming and I'll be glad to share as much as I can... :) Selfishly speaking your questions/comments help me to learn more about my gun and in turn I can answer any questions you might have... so thanks in advance... Really wish I could post PICS directly in the thread rather and offloading them to another URL... :(

Thanks Lonewolf.... at 40+ mags without jamming is already pretty good. I can't even come close to that with my WA system Gbbr's. I've like kinda given up on them. Your review has given me hope on the 416c... I'll keep an eye out on what ppl are doing to their guns here in HK and see what happens. Thanks for your review.

just please keep in mind, that I'm a *COLLECTOR* most of the time my guns sit on the wall for display and occassionally, I'll take them out to play in the backyard... :) Even though here in the US I can buy rifles and hand guns, having inexpensive AIRSOFT guns are WAY WAY cheaper than the REAL deal... I don't have to worry about cleaning and maintaining them as I would for real steel...

But on the other hand to live in HK again and have access to ALL of the hobby shops on Mong Kok shopping centers/malls must be sweet... Ho Jiang ah... (Cantonese) LOL!!!!

But on the other hand to live in HK again and have access to ALL of the hobby shops on Mong Kok shopping centers/malls must be sweet... Ho Jiang ah... (Cantonese) LOL!!!!

hahaha... I wish I lived in the states and had access to all the real steel stuff. But your right... Ho Jiang Ah here in HK for all the airsoft stuff. haha.

Fingers cross this may be a turning point for VFC,

@Reppy & Disco - I hope so too... VFC makes some very very pretty looking guns external wise... I was talking to one of the REPS for Umarex and I asked him about the various HK sights out there, from the quick pop ups, to the full circle front and half circle front and he tells me that they are ALL HK standard sights. HK various sights and depending on the REAL Steel model that was ordered the sights would reflect the selection. So all of the talk about Umarex not making accurate/authentic HK gun sights is just that *TALK*... :)

Of course bear in mind this is coming from Umarex so he *could* be lying...

@hit - Have some good dim sum and dan tart for me, I can live through your taste buds, NY's chinatown comes close but in no way compares to the real deal in HK!!!

@GiJohn - Just out of curiosity, because I currently do NOT own any other GBBR, what GBBR in FULL auto mag does *NOT* suffer from cool down...? Every GBB pistol I own including G18C, 93R, RoboCob, all suffer from cool down when in FULL auto, hence the reason why I don't like to shoot in FULL auto mode...?

If you have a specific model in mind GBBR that doens't suffer this effect, I would dearly like to know...? Thx in advance!

You are correct, all GBBs suffer from cool down eventually but I found the VFC 416 to have the worst cool down, even at room temperature I found my 416 stuttering and slowing down after 8-10 shots. My WA 416 can dull a whole mag quite well before cooldown takes any major effect.

Unable to test my 416 due to my gas being stored outside in the shed ( it's 7c and for you Americans that's 44f )

Edited by gijohn2

@GiJohn2 - I'm going to respectfully disagree with your finding of 8~10 shots and then slow down.... I haven't experienced this even when I did a FULL auto mag dump. Certainly after the FULL mag dump (auto), I still had gas in reserves to fire about 10~15 shots in semi auto with full blowback and locking back... I'm traveling this week on business trip but on my return to NY, I will try this out again for you and Vorpal bunnie... :)

Wow! I didn't know that WA had HK416 GBBR... How does it compare to the VFC...?

Marksman is correct. I first brought the VFC 416 then had to return it (bcg broke) then took the plunge to get the IA 416. An expensive decision but worth it. In my opinion the only thing that is better on the VFC over the IA is the proper stock and pistol grip and the adjustable hop up inside the ris.

I suppose it doesn't help that in the UK it is constantly cold effecting cool down even more

Thanks Marksman & GIJohn, I didn't know that there was a *KIT* to convert the WA into a HK416.... :) From casual reading it seems like an excellent product!!! What is a BCG and should I be concerned on the my M27 IAR...? I know the GBBR HK416 VFC has been out for a awhile now so *maybe* this is no longer an issue on the new M27 IAR...

I could definately look into it when I come home to NY, please do let me know which part BCG is and I'll take close up pics and either you and/or Marksman can show me what I should paying attention to...

Thanks so much in advance for your help/info... :)

greatly appreciated!

Bolt carrier group, but like you said your self this is a new version and I think the majority of the faults have been ironed out but as for my old VFC the bolt cracked at the front land warrior was unable to find a replacement so they refunded me. I'll try find a picture of what happened

Hi GiJohn,

I think in the other thread you had ordered a replacement bolt for $35 USD shipped from VFC...? I went to the VFC website and these was no listing for the HK416 BCG, I only saw M4 ones...?

I'm thinking that at $35 each, I should order one or two to keep as spares just in case...?

This is the website I went to:

http://www.gb-tech.com.tw/newsite/products.asp?class=32&main=GBBR Parts&cname=M4 and 416 Parts

I was going too if I couldn't get a refund but as they accepted it I didn't bother, I think you will be okay with the newer stuff, if it shows sign of cracking just buy another or you could try and get a G&P woc bolt to fit (requires some dremeling and filing) and would last you a long time