Review - Umarex M27 IAR GBB4 HK416

Thanks for the confirmation Gi about getting a new bolt, but I'm not sure where to order one...? The website I just posted, Official VFC website didn't have it on their products page, I thought you may have had the correct link...? :) Anyway I'll take you advice about the G&P and model (aka dremeling) under consideration, but I don't know not crazy about it. Would rather have the original *STOCK* unit without mod...

I'll leave a message on VFC's URL to see if I can get an answer! :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Disco,

No, you didn't miss anything, but as I was reading through some of the other threads I found out that someone was able to purchase a replacement BCG (Bolt Carrier Group set?) for $35.00 USD, with shipping to US included!

For peace of mind and sanity, I would like to order TWO (2) of these bolts just as spares in case my stock unit ever breaks, (knock on wood...). I know that from WCGShop and eHobbyshop websites you can order the M27 IAR for about $435 ~ $465 but I paid a 3rd party an extra $100 to have this thing safely shipped into NY and avoided customs seizures... WHEW! :)

So @ $35, each bolt, it's not going to break my bank... :)

Hi Disco,

Trademarks is not the issue, UMAREX is the official license holder of many things HK here in the U.S. and worldwide. BATF is involved, Bureau of Acohold, Tobacco, and Firearms, the HK416 GBBR is so EXACT, they are seriously thinking that the lower receiver (airsoft) could be modded somehow to fit upper reciever (Real Steel) and made to fire at least two or more round in FULL auto!!! :) Why do you think they have KWA such a hard time with their LM4 units (Nice gun btw...!!!) before they would even let them import them here to the states...

On a side note, and NOTE this is only my opinion, UMAREX may be a subsidiary of HK! Why? They have a lot of financial backing and they make all things HK even down to RIMFIRE .22 real steel rifles! I kid you not, check out youtube videos of people ordering and buying HK416 .22 replica real steel firearms, the only reason I didn't order one myself is because the bolt catch is non working and the airsoft one is... go figure... :) Again this is mere speculation on my part only and was only brought up to hammer in the point that UMAREX have done such an amazing job with this airsoft replica that it got on the RADAR of the BATF.

From a collector's (ME) point of view, that is some wicked news! :) The $580+ that I spent on the HK416 M27 IAR is peanuts compared to the Real Steel version going for over $4000.00 and is not even available to civilians like myself here in the U.S. So for a fraction of the cost I got a working replica the shoots, looks and operates just liek the Real Steel without the gun powder, cleaning, expense of real 5.56 ammo and hassles of travelling to a gun range, all from the comfort of my home indoors or outdoors in my backyard. :)

Edited by lonewolf69

Ok Folks, I'm home now after week long business trip to California! I actually visited EVIKE.COM and on my G*D, that is a HUGE HUGE store!!!! Think of an airplane hanger and/or a FEDEX/UPS facility!!! The actual retail store itself is only about 1/3 the entire facilites but is easily 10'000 sq ft with four lanes of indoor range for you to test out any and all guns before you buy. Needless to say I just picked up a KWA M93 NS2 with folding stock and 20% off coupon!!!

But I digress...

I will be testing the following:

• Full Auto MAG dump as requested by Vorpal, Hitman and GiJohn
  • shooting in Semi and Full auto to test for Jams
  • Shooting at least another 10 more mag dumps to see the wear/tear on BCG

BATF are retarded sometimes. The magazine holder, the internal parts, probably wouldn't be enough to fire a real upper, without serious damage to an airsoft. I mean, I don't think the FCG can handle 60k PSI, and the hammer may not hit the firing pin, with the mag catch holding the magazine up at the right place...

ok 4pm and five full mags through the unit and here is what I found:

• FULL auto mag dump no longer works (tried 2 times) - I get about 2/3 of the way through about 20~22 rounds and my mags are depleted
  • Short FULL auot burst up to 8~7 bbs non issue
  • Chronos at 425FPS with 0.20 and 407~410 with 0.25
  • Semi auto works for 45 ~ 48 shots before running out of gas
  • Nozzle is chpped and I don't know why... no chopped BBS that I can find
  • good news is there still was only a single jam but that was due to a malformed BB, no the gun didn't deform it as the BB was a bit larger than standard 6mm

Conclusions, the gun is still gorgeous and I still don't have any regrets as this is a collectors piece and works for me, *HOWEVER* IMHO this is not a reliable enough weapon for FIELD skirmishes.

Besides, I'm from the camp that says this gun is too pretty to take outside to get beat up and marred up... :)

Will keep posting updates as I come across them and I'm hoping this thread was of some benefit to you all, GiJohn, IronMike, Vorpal and others thanks for the replies and feedback, I've learnt a lot too for my very first GBBR... :)

-Lonewolf69

The ATF doesn't care that it'll break, they care that it'll still fire a round or two before breaking.

It's the same as non-us approved Airsoft suppressors. Sure it would probably blow up after a round or two and not supress a round well at all, but if it can suppress a round by a decibel or two, its considered a suppressor.

@Akira,

Exactly, as long as at least ONE round can be fired, it's already too dangerous because it can be modded... :) I ran into the same problem years ago with the first "supressor" for my M4 and was told the same exact story!

@HitManhigger,

Since you're in HK, can you find out from one of the local shops what I need to do to get a replacement BCG for the M27 IAR...? I've reached out already to VFC but they haven't returned any of my emails yet...? Perhaps they might have a telephone number and/or direct way of getting in touch with VFC...? Maybe they sell replacement BCGs? Thanks in advance for the HK connections! :)

@Lonewolf

I haven't been able to find a number for VFC either, and they are also a Taiwanese company. What I do know is that apparently there is a Steel bolt with the HK marking for 416 guns that should be out very soon at www.wgcshop.com . You can probably email them about it, I know they posted it on their FB page, but ppl have been commenting on it with Chinese and I'm not very good with reading it. haha.

@Akira,

Exactly, as long as at least ONE round can be fired, it's already too dangerous because it can be modded... :) I ran into the same problem years ago with the first "supressor" for my M4 and was told the same exact story!

@HitManhigger,

Since you're in HK, can you find out from one of the local shops what I need to do to get a replacement BCG for the M27 IAR...? I've reached out already to VFC but they haven't returned any of my emails yet...? Perhaps they might have a telephone number and/or direct way of getting in touch with VFC...? Maybe they sell replacement BCGs? Thanks in advance for the HK connections! :)

Even if it fires 1 round... (granted the Inner barrel will not permit this, and there isn't any type of rifling on the outer barrel, not to mention that the carrier doesn't even have a firing pin, nor will be able to eject the casing) -- What's the difference between this gun and a normal ar-15? They are still legally owned. It's not if it can fire 1 round. It's if it can fire a succession of rounds in burst or full auto mode. Semi Auto is perfectly legal in Kalifornia :) as long as you obey the rules.

-- and you can't have more than 10 rounds, and a bullet button if your gun has a pistol grip. So if it DOES fire a round, all you need to do is put a bullet button on it, and you're set and legal! Oh yeah, you need a 16" barrel at least also, otherwise you need to get a supressor that'll make the barrel 16" (must be a permanent solution, like welded on or something)

Even if it fires 1 round... (granted the Inner barrel will not permit this, and there isn't any type of rifling on the outer barrel, not to mention that the carrier doesn't even have a firing pin, nor will be able to eject the casing) -- What's the difference between this gun and a normal ar-15? They are still legally owned. It's not if it can fire 1 round. It's if it can fire a succession of rounds in burst or full auto mode. Semi Auto is perfectly legal in Kalifornia :) as long as you obey the rules.

-- and you can't have more than 10 rounds, and a bullet button if your gun has a pistol grip. So if it DOES fire a round, all you need to do is put a bullet button on it, and you're set and legal! Oh yeah, you need a 16" barrel at least also, otherwise you need to get a supressor that'll make the barrel 16" (must be a permanent solution, like welded on or something)

Right now show us all how you can import a 'firearm' without paperwork into the US from overseas. :rolleyes:

@Finbarqs - LOL I'm not saying that a round or two can be fired in the upper receiver... :) It's the LOWER receiver that's a problem, the unit is 1:1 scale replica EXACT BODY pin comaptible with the real steel UPPER and that alone is enough for BATF to block the unit from being imported in. Look at the hoops that KWA had to go through changing BODY PIN alignment just to satisfiy ATF... Sorry I don't have the specifics here but other sources state that KWA LM4 GBBR was delayed for a while due redesign of upper/lower to ensure *INCOMPATIBILITY* with real steel recievers upper/lower...

Right now show us all how you can import a 'firearm' without paperwork into the US from overseas. :rolleyes:

:) Hence the reason why I love AIRSOFT so much... Let's see a civilian like myself get his hands on a FULL AUTO M27 IAR legally, and be able to fire it in his basement or backyard without the police knocking on the front door... Oh the humanity...! Thank g*d for airsoft!!!

*** LATEST UPDATE *** finally official reply from VFC!!!

Dear Lonewolf,

Thanks for support M27 IAR and sorry for late reply.

About the order the spare parts from us: My suggest you can contact with those online shop. Because those shop maybe They can give you some special price.

1. KIC's contact info:

KIC Foreign Contact Info:

Foreign Sales & Marketing Manager

2 WGC shop.

Magazine problem.

If you need the trade mark on the magazine please buy additional magazine.

Because we have contract with Umarex. We cannot change the mark position on the their products.

VFC service

@ Hitman - Thank you for you reply, I know that VFC is Taiwanese, but I'm assuming that since HK is like the capital of Airsoft world at least one of two shops might be able to get their hands on the BCG easier than me? :) I know it's a lot of LEG work for you to walk all over HK airsoft shops but the very next time you just happen to be in the area, would you kindly do me a favor and just ask "btw, do you know where I can buy a BCG replacement for VFC GBBR HK416?" Much obliged and many many thanks in advanced, Dai Lo! :)

In the meanwhile, I will also try the two contacts that VFC officially provided and we'll see if everything pans out...

To All,

The M27 IAR is still holding up pretty well, the unit still fires and my only outstanding issue is that I cannot perform a full auto mag dump, the unit is not broken per se, and I wasn't chicken *suitcase* to get this gorgeous gun scratched and beat up, I personally would not mind taking it out to the airfield to skirmish, becuase for me, on the rare occassions that I do go, I mostly shoot semi-auto anyway... :) Short bursts of FULL auto still work...

@Disco,

Sorry, with the BOLT deformed/defective at this time, I can *NO LONGER* perform a FULL magazine dump. I want the record to be straight that BEFORE the bolt was damaged, I was able to perform the FULL dump... :(

thanks, good and bad news. Mostly bad. Hopefully someone makes a replacement BCG worthy of this gun's coolness. VFC remains quite lame where it counts.

The ATF is where all the washouts from other agencies go. Certainly not a brain trust and their silly rules reflect this.

Example: On one of their beloved no knock warrants here, they asserted that a citizen was mating illegal upper and lower receivers ON AN AK. Cream of the crop law enforcement:-)

Edited by supervepr