Hand-made rifle stock

ltolstoy

Hello guys, My friend has put the question to me and asked me to make him a wooden stock for his gspec.

Im passing the question on to you guys and asking if it is possible to make a hand-made airsoft stock, I have all the tools necessary and time isn't an issue.

If this is viable i will also be posting a journal of how to make one.

It's entirely possible, how easy it will be is largely dependant on how good you are at woodwork. It'd probably be an idea to trawl through the project suggestions subforum and look for similar projects, see what you like, what you think looks doable then apply what's relevant to what you're trying to do. For starters, are you thinking solid hardwood or laminated plywood? I believe there's a current thread of a guy putting a custom SV98 stock together out of laminated plywood, there was also a very picture heavy M14 stock build made of oak, two pieces sandwiched together as I recall.

SSG69Pro made one-pece M14 from oak here in 2009 (not related but I made a crossbow from oak too in 2010), so I think it don't splits (I oiled the crossbow twice 2 years ago, after I applied vax).

BTW RS oak stocks are not often seen.

I would advise not to make it from two half (unless you are makin it from plywood). I made one beech woodstock for M14 AEG from two halfs (the project is under "ANZAC SAS M14"), I made one for AKM (in teh same topic). And I made one for L96 ("L96 SV98 conversion"), it's plywood, it has 3 layers.

The "mechanical" parts of springers are smaller than AEGs, so there is no need to make the stock from two halfs.

I used wood router to mill out the wood.

I would also like to add that unless you have the required tools for drilling and sawing and whatnot, you shouldn't start a project that requires them.

It may sound completely obvious but you have to realize that if you use anything other than wood, like PCV for example, you need the right tools or else you'll end up with 3 kilos of junk.

• 4 weeks later...

I have made several stocks, for both centrefire hunting rifles and air rifles

Apart from having the right tools, use the right wood

As has been already said, walnut ( properly seasoned ) would be the best

and also would look the best

There is no more work required making it out of good wood as there is out of poor wood, so go with the best available

Archived