Making a thumbhole stock?

Voxcaster

I was poking around my local stores and I found this:

alessandra002.jpg

Now, say what you will, but I find this pretty interesting. I'm a big fan of thumbhole stocks as I find them very comfortable and they give you the same cheek weld each and every time you take aim.

Would it be possible to make one of these using a standard M16 full stock? These are Right thumbhole stocks, but I can't find any in stock (maybe discontinued or out of business?)

I can't see how you take off the stock... I mean, you have to pull down to take off a pistol grip, but backwards to take off a stock. Not sure how that works.

Has anyone attempted anything like this? I think this would make for a really unique rifle.

Thanks!

A really simple fix would be to use an ABS sheet to connect the pistol grip to the middle of the stock. Just clean it up a bit with epoxy and some sort of hot tool (to melt the ABS). Simple, rudimentary, but works.

Pro: The grip wouldn't be attached to the stock at the receiver corner like they are with the stock pictured.

Right, but then how do you take off the stock? I've never actually used a full stock but I'm assuming you have to pull backwards to take it off, but you can't pull it backwards due to the pistol grip being attached to the stock... and you can't pull the pistol grip off because that requires pulling downwards which is prevented by the stock...

I would make it from wood/plywood or PUR foam core and fiberglass laminate. Paint the core black before laminating, and add a minimal amount of black acrilic paint to the resin. So the custom madepart willl be materrially black.

I made my M14SE2, and bullpup M14 same way.

I have no idea, how to pull it down, hence the airsoft AR thumbhole stock had one part as I remember...

The stock and grip are one piece. The stock has a long screw that runs straight through it and conncets to teh spring guide in the gearbox like a solid stock on any M16, then there are two screws in the grip that attach it to the gearbox like a standard M4 grip. Once all the screws are removed it just pulls down at a 45 degree angle. I'll see if I can find some pictures of it and post them up later.

The stock and grip are one piece. The stock has a long screw that runs straight through it and conncets to teh spring guide in the gearbox like a solid stock on any M16, then there are two screws in the grip that attach it to the gearbox like a standard M4 grip. Once all the screws are removed it just pulls down at a 45 degree angle. I'll see if I can find some pictures of it and post them up later.

Is this possible to make oneself or is it too difficult?

Archived