Fixing fortress m40a3 stock

Madiaz

Pics show things better than thousand words.

http://s1358.beta.photobucket.com/user/Madiatsi/story/23107#

I made quite good deal about old and used vsr 10. The package included fortress stock (snapped in two parts), long outer barrel with internal silencer (pdi perhaps?), 554mm long pdi 6.01 barrel, unknown leopold mk3 scope and king arms copy of harris bipods. Whole package for 150 euro!

I got the the stock in two pieces. I contacted my friend who happens to be good mechanic and started working at the same day with the stock. We started the project by making an u-shaped piece from 2mm aluminium. it had to be so long that it could take three screws at both sides. The next phase was milling the slots for our reinforcment bars. We milled 4 mm deep slot for the left side. The stocks total thickness was 10 mm at that place. The slot was little off centered when we compared both halves.

Next step was making the first reinforcement bar. We took bout 130 mm long and 13.5mm wide, 3 mm thick steel plate and fittet it in the slot. After fitting we drilled four place for screws at the plate, then in the stock and then 3 holes at the u piece.

Next we put rifle stock together with screws and vsr action and milled slot at right side. This way we made nice clean slot. We had to be more accurate with righ side due less material. Altought we managed to make our next reinforment bar 9mm wide, lenght and thickness is about same than the previous part.

We drilled now the holes straight. Then we applied epoxy u bars outer surface and under the reinforcment bars and screwed tightly. After that we had to mold epoxy over the reinforment bars and the also to visible crack.

Now the stock is good phase. Still need to put two "woodscrews" to reinforment part, do the last epoxying and then sanding. After that it's ready to be painted.

I did something similar, I cut two slits along the inside edge and ran a thin aluminum bar along the length of the stock, put a few bolts through to secure it, and then epoxy over it all. Of course, I've been working on it for a few years now and have only done a little bit at a time, with no pictorals.

Archived