removal of plastic engravings

sickboy76

Hi all

Thinking about a new project build for a special duty px4 managed to get a frame but not really interested in paying out more than the price of a new Px4 for metal frame and slide. Now I have a spare slide and outer and an offer of laser engraving but the tm original has rubbish fake trademarks.

Trying to work out if there's some method of filling in those trademarks that would allow for new laser engraving.

Any help would be appreciated

The original TM slides don't have laser engravings, they're moulded in the injection moulding process.

If you or the person doing it has not done it before on a TM plastic slide then I'd suggest you're extremely careful and unless you don't care if you ruin the finish of the slide get hold of a spare broken one from someone to try the laser on at different power and frequency levels, a lot of plastics don't like lasers and just melt and make a mess and even if you manage to cut the trades into the plastic the lines and finish aren't likely to be very good.

I'd suggest looking into something along the lines of filling them then mechanically engraving them, you're more likely to get a decent finish that way.

No idea to be honest, I've never heard of it being done or even tried so until you try it I suspect we won't know, plus different brands/compositions of fillers are likely to behave differently so it could end up being a matter of trial and error with testing a range of different ones to actually find out if any are suitable.

• 1 month later...

I had a thought. Though would only work if you planned on sanding down the slide or repainting.

There is a substance/welding called 'Lumi-Weld'

Basically high class soldering, uses a blow torch & molten metal to create a bond. However this could be done for a slide, melt the metal into it, sand it off and repaint.

If dont right would look very neat.

EDIT -

*badger*s, just rememberd plastic slide..

hahaha, did wonder why you were talking about melting metal onto plastic :D

Would you not be able to use something like miliput? I know you can drill into that once it's dried, and for the small area you'd be covering I reckon it'd be fine - just jam some into the existing trade, once it's dried sand it down, engrave it, then re-spray the slide.

Archived