SKD PiG Brig "SYSTEMA"

Megalomaniac

Honestly I think it looks ridiculous. I think people are getting way too obsessed with modularity when it comes to equipment these days. Helmet rails are the same way. Look at how the AR 15 platform has gone first no rails, then people decided you have to have rails everywhere, and now lots of people are in a way reverting and going with systems like Troy/VTAC and MI rails that are slicker and you only mount things where you need it. In the case of this plate carrier, having velcro everywhere just looks absurd, it adds weight, and is not at all necessary.

The velcro does look absurd.... but its made for a civillian/LEO market, not a Mil one. Practicality dosen't always play out compared to looks.

Well said. I can imagine the velcro collecting all sorts of leaves etc on it. It certainly doesn't look like the worst design, but I am getting the feeling right about now that people are going to start trending away from molle and it's crazy modularity. Obviously the velcro isn't molle, but it is a similar idea, though it my opinion worse. It seems that there is a shift towards more dedicated rigs with stuff like the Crye CPC and JPC with built in platform specific pouches being really popular.

Eh, the JPC may be delicate but it's not a reflection of the design, it's a reflection of the material used for the shoulder straps and a lack of double stitching to keep it in place. The CPC on the other hand is a rough and tumble rig.

I don't see velcro collecting stuff as an issue, it actually can help add local flora to your camouflage However, the concept behind velcroing in a chest rig is not that great an idea, right now the modularity of MOLLE is unbeatable, and simpler systems like MRC's swift clip is a much better idea, then when you use the chest rig alone you don't have hook velcro digging into your stomach all day long.

As with the whole PIG PC concept I see this as a low cost setup for LEOs who need to self fund kit, or for airsofters and range queens. I like how for a bit they used to tout that it was Eagle made, now people have realized Eagle's quality on non-berry compliant items is terrible, not much higher than that of companies like Condor.

Watch the video. As someone that did some mil sewing as a part of my duties for a while he is right about the shear capacity if Velcro. Could they have done a pack cloth upper, sure, is it a big deal, no. I for one am really digging this and am thinking hard about trying it out as it leaves a lot of room to work with my job specific tools. I also think it is a great platform that I could have a custom platform built to attach to it if I need more room.

The beauty of the AR is that you can have rails if you want rails, you can have slick if you want slick. Not everyone likes having to take off your handguard and install a rail section every time you want to add an accessory - that's simply a downside of a slick design, and that is why people have so many differing setups. Modularity isn't absurd if you don't use it to an absurd level. Same with this plate carrier. The fact you can buy modular components for the Brig doesn't change you cannot run it as a $90 plate carrier if you want.

I don't like all that velcro, but its easy to like the affordable and modular design perspective from the consumer standpoint.

EDIT: That said, I want to see someone tackle a velcro wall wearing one of these.

There's a case for a very large blanking plate if I ever saw one.

Same story with the chest rig. As frogfish said, the inside of that is not particularly well thought out, you wear it over a UBACS it's going to tear the thinner torso portion to shreds without a blanking piece over it. Even with a normal BDU shirt it's going to tear a couple of threads out of place every time you take it off.

Looks like a good system overall for a light and simple airsoft rig that can hold only what you need and allow people on a budget to buy parts over time. Definitely needs some corresponding velcro in certain areas though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived