The most REALISTIC milsim - UK?

Lancek

In my opinion the most realistic airsoft milsim company is Tier 1. The attention to detail, physical and mental demands of their 36 hour weekenders are the most challenging and realistic events I've been to in airsoft. They use Copehill, Stanta and a woodland site in Hampshire.

Stirling's also probably worth a look for you, but I find a lot of their weekenders are generally just big themed skirmishes with camo rules. 

I'd also agree with Tier1. Their next game is at Stanta:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/206745-operation-lockdown-a-36hr-tier-1-obua-combat-operation-stanta-25-27-january-2013/&do=findComment&comment=2577167

I've played at Catterick with Stirling twice and enjoyed myself both times but they were two different types of game. One was a themed skirmish to be fair and probably not what you are looking for by the sound of it. The other was a hostage rescue game and it was more of a proper milsim game as far as I am concerned.

• 1 month later...

The whole thing is just a spectrum from totally not milsim to completely milsim.

Some people will perceive different things in a different way so there is no definitive name for anything.

In this context themed skirmish is closer to the middle of the spectrum.

No hicaps is likely, radios, team uniform, story objectives that sort of thing.

True mil-sim is a misnomer but probably means even more rules.

If it was true mil-sim then it would be rubbish.

Nothing would happen for days, weeks even.  Then out of nowhere your best friend would have all his limbs blown off in front of you and you would never even see the guy who did it.

Not too much fun there.

Nothing would happen for days, weeks even.  Then out of nowhere your best friend would have all his limbs blown off in front of you and you would never even see the guy who did it.

Not too much fun there.

HaHa! Long stretches of crushing boredom punctuated by short periods of intense activity, as I once heard it described.

I think I see, rules to stop unrealistic play, but within reason.

The whole thing is just a spectrum from totally not milsim to completely milsim.

Some people will perceive different things in a different way so there is no definitive name for anything.

In this context themed skirmish is closer to the middle of the spectrum.

No hicaps is likely, radios, team uniform, story objectives that sort of thing.

True mil-sim is a misnomer but probably means even more rules.

If it was true mil-sim then it would be rubbish.

Not too much fun there.

I don't think I ever want to go further into Milsim than stirling now.. thanks for that Stuntman :D 

I did laugh there when they said "ADHERE TO THIS TACTICAL CODE OF CONDUCT". 

If you don't already do most of those things, Tier 1 is going to be a rude awakening. 

• Do not linger out in the open.

• Do not stand in plain view in windows or doorways.

• Run between areas of cover.

• When static, take cover if possible behind an object. If cover is not available, present a smaller target and get down on one knee.

• Cover your teammates crossing exposed areas.

• Squads / callsigns moving together should watch their spacing, do not bunch up.

Hmm I always thought it went like this, we have:

Sunday Skirmish: Basic rules, turn up with whatever you like within site limits and chuck plastic at each other.

Filmsim: Sits in the middle, you get a story and ammo limits / mid-caps or less and keep in the action.

Milsim: You end up with the strictest limits and the most likely to spend hours sitting waiting for contact and filling that time patrolling etc.

I didn't think Milsim had such a wide variable, more that if it was story and ammo limits it would often get called something like 'filmsim' to differentiate it from the average game but without stepping into the patrols, base management and sleeping out in the woods of airsoft.

Though personally Milsim is not for me I can see the appeal it would have for others, I personally get bored if I can't flank and get stuck in, the worst thing about airsoft for me is being sat around, waiting for something to happen.

'FireKnife'

Milsim:

Play in a desert with arctic clothing due to a clerical error.

Play the first half of the day with 10 rounds due to supply problems.

Train for 6 months to be a support gunner then play a whole day with a normal rifle (with 10 rounds)

Train for months to be a forward air controller, play all games with no air or artillery support.

Train to use med packs to allow medic rules, play all day with no med packs.

Play a full day of airsoft then recieve an orientation brief then go home.

Sign up to play an airsoft game in August then play one with 6 hours' notice in May.

• 4 weeks later...

Milsim:

Play in a desert with arctic clothing due to a clerical error.

Play the first half of the day with 10 rounds due to supply problems.

Train for 6 months to be a support gunner then play a whole day with a normal rifle (with 10 rounds)

Train for months to be a forward air controller, play all games with no air or artillery support.

Train to use med packs to allow medic rules, play all day with no med packs.

Play a full day of airsoft then recieve an orientation brief then go home.

Sign up to play an airsoft game in August then play one with 6 hours' notice in May.

You missed off on the bus, off the bus and hurry up an wait! I'm guessing you're ex mil?

New to the site so Hi, but these milsims, how serious do they get. I mean will you be kicked off for not listening to your section commander etc? I'm new to airsoft myself but am ex mil and work in CP and have a friend who started the same time as me and I think he fancies a milsim for the crack, but I don't fancy doing a milsim if it's mega strict or if there's stagging on to be done etc?! 

Mate just get more comfortable with airsoft as a whole first. Then you can worry about doing milsim later on because some of the games are pretty 'serious'

Is that aimed at me, and if so what do you mean by get more comfortable with it because of games getting serious? I'm quite comfortable with airsift already having done it all for a living, I just don't fancy paying for a weekend and spending some of it sangar bashing or being put into section/team with a young kid as the commander giving orders. Don't get me wrong if that's the way it's played and that's how serious it does get then that's fine, and good on people for doing it, It's just I'm not sure It'd be my cup of tea, however if all the "BS" side of it is ignored and it's just a weekend of "combat" so to speak but following the way a conventional force would operate then I'd enjoy that. I'll more than likely try one anyway as I think my pal would probably enjoy it a lot as he's not ex mil, I just want to get an idea of how serious these milsims are. 

Yeah it was aimed at you, but I dont think it came across properly. I just meant go to 'normal' airsoft open days, and then decide if you really want to go to more serious games, where they are similar to what you've described. And to me it would seem weird if I were in your shoes, going to a Milsim game and being given orders by someone who hasn't actually Served in the Armed Forces. I think all milsim games are different though, some of them are as relaxed as an Open Day, but just excluding High capacity magazines. Most of the events will have a webpage where they'll explain their rules.

In my opinion Stirling games are the best you can get. Their games are organised at the level of a fairly large platoon and they way they organise makes it work.
In regards to people saying those games are like themed skirmishes I tend to disagree. Stirling does multiple types of games and some of these are indeed all out action games. Even though this could be mistaken for a skirmish they are not. Their are clear objectives which are, in my opinion, close enough to objectives real soldiers would get given the 24hr time period the games last.

Their role play games are (for me) the most fun, but (and this doesnt go for just stirling games but for every organiser) it all depends on howfar are people willing to go (which also includes being able NOT just to shoot everything you see) and immerse themselves in their role and story. If you have a game filled with people who are able to do as expected of them, then you will have a sim game.  

The thing is that "real" milsim, would, as others allready said, take atleast multiple days and on those days, most of the time would be filled with patroling, very little contact and end with an artillery strike nocking out everyone you can see.

Every Stirling game I've been to has been one of their themed skirmish games- I'm not saying that's a 'bad thing', I've had a blast at a couple of them, but I do prefer the slight role playing aspect of Tier 1 games. Unfortunately when I have been to Stirling role play games, there are so many guys on the 'rebel' side just outright taking the , talking in kerrazy accents and running up to allied forces in the middle of a firefight to offer them fruit for sale that it can end up being more ridiculous than the themed skirmishes. 

Sorry but i have to agree with Spetz  for the past 8 years ive been doing Stirling games and while they have been some of the best times in Airsoft ive had ,and that i tell as is ,thinking back about some of them  leaves me grinning like a happy bunny  BUT  Tier 1 games seem to have somehow surpassed them ,just with the level of detail that is put into planning and prep that i just have not seen from Matt and Ben  ,perhaps they like to keep it that was and i have tried to get to the valley for a game but never seem to have the time when they are on (due to wife and 2 kids :) ,

Simply put i would do a Stirling or T1 game any day of the week  ,  there are the best out there imho    

Every Stirling game I've been to has been one of their themed skirmish games- I'm not saying that's a 'bad thing', I've had a blast at a couple of them, but I do prefer the slight role playing aspect of Tier 1 games. Unfortunately when I have been to Stirling role play games, there are so many guys on the 'rebel' side just outright taking the ######, talking in kerrazy accents and running up to allied forces in the middle of a firefight to offer them fruit for sale that it can end up being more ridiculous than the themed skirmishes.

To be fair, if someone runs up to you in a firefight doing that; give them one warning to leave or they will be shot and if they don't then shoot them. Simple. I love the added confusion factor that players like that create. Creates a lot of tension and as long as you're firm and don't hesitate about making decisions then its great fun. :)

Archived