mouth protection pros and cons?

Isamu

I have been using a mesh mask for face/teeth protection for a couple of years now, but aiming becomes a pain in the *albatroth, so I thought about using a teeth protector like boxers or football players to protect myself from visits to the dentists.

Any of you use them instead a mesh mask? whats your opinion? pros and cons?

Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, i recently started using a mouth guard. i just never felt comfortable with a mask. obviously hits to the face and ears hurt, but it protects the teeth just fine. i learned to talk clear enough with it, it helps that its a relatively thin one.

you can get ones that have basically lanyard attachments or can be attached to something (like a helmet chin strap) where you can pull it out if you need to say something quick or make a radio call and it hangs within the vicinity of your head, so you can easily grab it and slap it back in your mouth.

Bersy: Yes, thought so about speaking, not very worried if I can aim comfortably but I like running a lot and I dont know if it will hinder a proper breathing, the exaling part, of course

j33v3s: I use a baseball cap, so the mesh mask is quite close to my face, making aiming with an eotech in an M4 or Mp5 certainly difficult as I cant get a proper cheek weld, I tried rising the optic a bit, but the problem persists. 

Horsem4n: thanks mate, have you got a link to a similar teeth protector so i can have an idea about what to look for? BTW, does the protector covers upper and lower teeth?

Thanks  

I've heard two stories that will ensure that I never go without a mesh mask. While rare occurrences, one guy got shot in the mouth as he had it open just at the time a BB flew at his face. The other was a guy who had a BB fly into his nostril. Seems he now can't breath well and would require surgery to have it removed as its in his nasal cavity.

While the mouth guard is being perfect covering the upper (sticks well, doesn't really impair speech), a freak semi shot bounced through lower lip and smashed the top of a lower teeth of mine last fall. Haven't found a lower part that would stick and not keen on double type mouth guard mentioned above.

I can't stand solid (mesh/plastic etc) face masks, as said impair aim, so i came up with neoprene mask with a mesh insert for mouth & nose.

Is not too bad to be honest. For the most part I use mesh goggles as I fog stuff up really easily but I have used ESS V12s and ESS NVG profile goggles whilst wearing that fabric face mask and it hasn't been much of an issue. It's basically two sections and you can create a slight vent without exposing your face to BBs but even then I haven't found the mask to channel condensation up toward the goggles in order to cause the fogging.

Basically, I never really had a problem with fogging whilst using both the mask and goggles.

The Mesh mask's maybe work better with some rifles/stocks than others.

Have you beaten the mesh to fit the stock and your face more.    Vast improvement on mine by some gentle hammer work.  Have you considered cutting the mask.

There are those (can't link,  but have seen photo's around various forums) that remove the portion of mask thats in the way,  might look odd when not aiming a rifle but again an improvement over reshaping the mesh.

Couldn't use iron sights and awkward to use a red dot on a UMP with a lower face mesh mask,  re-beating the shape for a better fit and raising the scope rail improved things.

Red dot useage is almost normal,  iron sights are useable,  not fantastic but useable.  Strangely only use iron sights now on the UMP.

Mesh masks are fairly cheap,  might be worth cutting and shutting one to see if it gives the fit you need.

Mouth guards are fairly cheap too so again worth getting one to try anyway.

Thats my 2p's worth  :)

I used to use a neoprene half face mask, but it gets hot under there, and fogs goggles/glasses up like you wouldn't believe.

So either invest in a mesh lower or mesh goggles/goggles with fans to offset that if you use one.

I decided on the 'f**k it, I'll take my battlescars' route instead, cheaper but more painfull (recently got shot in the mouth by a Mag-K from about 8ft, horrible feeling when a bb whacks into your top lip and clicks off your incisors, but that was my choice)

I found it was super hard to talk in them, which made me a liability to my team mates because I couldn't coordinate or radio anything in without removing the guard. 

After one game, I went back to just shutting my mouth when I'm firing. 3 years of nothing but eyeprot and i've not lost anything yet [although I did get a BB in my lip. That was amazingly painful.] 

I use a mask for CQB, for the longest time that's what I always used even for field games until I found the protech dent mouth guard. I could never go back to another mouth guard..The protech dent allows you to speak with no issues. I can now protect my teeth, talk with out sounding like I have a you know what in my mouth, and shoot with out a mask hindering my rifle. They are pricey but TRUST ME they are worth every penny!

Here's a single pack, you can buy them in double packs as well..you can get them in white, blue, black, and yellow..

http://www.amazon.com/Protech-DentTM-Adult-Guards-Single/dp/B0050FDBM4/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1356578344&sr=1-2&keywords=protech+dent+mouth+guard

I would recommend face protection over a gum shield . Apart from not protecting your face they do tend to make you dribble and they also can make it hard to talk . You can cut and bend mesh masks to fit or find something that works from the start .

14494_310326029067129_18964138_n_zps3b8f

28026_310326005733798_1252556519_n_zps20

63732_310325942400471_48228066_n_zps71ce

60957_310325969067135_1558811527_n_zps6e

399370_310325939067138_1805995761_n_zpsd

184577_310325959067136_893532510_n_zpsc4

• 2 weeks later...

not to necro, but i use a recon wrap but i wrap it over itself twice. the idea is simply to stop something in the field from getting into my mouth, and it also protects my face to some extent. When indoors i try and cover my mouth, or ill wear a shemaugh as well and pull that up indoors. im thinking about putting some mesh in the recon wrap (in between the doubled over material) which should keep it from scratching the absolute out of me but also providing a little harder protection. not sure what other materials would be worth considering or if it is really worth doing at all. thoughts?

Archived