WA System MK12 SPR Build - High Spec, Advice Wanted.

TB-Stalker

22"? The SPR has an 18" barrel? Stalker.

Sorry - yes, I meant are you going to cut and thread a 22" into an 18".

Ah, appologies, need to stop reading threads late at night. In answer to your question, no I'm not. Dytac do an 18" SPR out barrel for the WA platform :)

Stalker.

• 6 months later...

For your reference...when I was making my Mod1 I gathered some info from various books and periodicals. The top three are USAMU Special Purpose Receivers from 1999...the bottom two are more recent production SOF Precision Rifles made by NSWC. The book that this photo came from mentions that the NSWC SPR's were assembled with the M16A1 lower while the USAMU's were uppers only. The SOF Precision Rifles apparently were type classified, given specific NSN's, as the Mk12 Mod1 and Mk12 Mod0

DSCF0373_zps29d39db3.jpg

This is supposedly a real Crane installed Mk12 Mod0 front sight made by PRI. As far as I know, there is no airsoft replica of this front sight. Back when I built my real gun Mk12 Mod1, I inquired about this sight and was told it was next to impossible to get and they pretty much all went to USAMU or NSWC. There was a rumor that some were returned to PRI and sold to a lucky few...I was not one of them.

DSCF0374_zps099f3be8.jpg

This is supposedly a Crane built Mk12 Mod0. The interesting thing is the M16A1 lower...it has an A2 stock, ambi selector, and A2 grip. The scope is definitely a Lupy TS-30A2, although I've read various periodicals that claim Mk12 Mod1 now having Lupy MR/T, NF NAVSPEC-RECON, or MILSPEC-RECON scopes installed. I've also read that SOCOM has purchased a bunch of F1's and Lupy Mk8-H27D's. Various sources have told me the bi-pod in the photo is an S-BRM made by Harris.

DSCF0375_zps8dca2036.jpg

Various sources say that Crane installed slings purchased from Eagle Industries, TAS-1-UMSS. Apparently it's the same as the commercial TAS-1, but with a modified front attachment that included an Uncle Mike sling mount. Here's a close up of the TAS-1-UMSS with the front clip for the Mod0/1.

DSCF0365_zps79cf204d.jpg

For your bi-pod, I do NOT recommend using the Versa-Pod, even though it's to USAMU specifications. That bi-pod is unusable in my opinion. I once shot a Mod 0 that had a Parker Hale BIS which was a thousand times better. In fact, on early USAMU SPR's you can actually see a Parker Hale instead of a Versa and it looks fairly similar. Link here (a photo of 5th SFG?). You can also see it has the PRI SPR front sight with the elevation adjustment knob that is missing on commercial versions. I was also told that recent PRI built sleeves no longer have the PEQ mount found on the Swan version so be careful you get the right one.

I tried to get a better shot of the barrel I'm using...this one is an OP 18" in Reece black (there's a big color difference against KAC's Mk12 gas block). It was the only airsoft barrel that I could find at the time that had the correct Mk12 profile, but I think a few airsoft companies make good replicas (you mentioned DYTAC?). Right now I have to use a custom built barrel extension to hold a Iron Airsoft hop chamber. 

DSCF0366_zps8fdc1c50.jpg

Again, I went for a WA base as I can install a Colt upper making modifications only to the airsoft components (so I can go from 6mm BB's to 77gr 5.56 in a few minutes). This is a Colt upper from the early 2000's...they still proofed their uppers and you can see a small "VP" roll mark between the ejection port and barrel nut. This was the upper that came with my Mod1.

DSCF0372_zps88ed7714.jpg

On the front, an "M4" is engraved (I put chalk on it so it photo's better). I was told this is was an indication that the upper had factory cut M4 feed ramps. I was also told that if these marks are missing, it doesn't necessarily mean it's not a Colt, but they are generally found on uppers from that era.

DSCF0368_zps13f20b65.jpg

Hope this helps.

Archived